Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register365 - Joomla 2.5

Options
  • 11-04-2013 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Every time I install Joomla on register365 I get permissions unwritable issues.

I can't change file permissions through ftp or upload anything.

It seems to take forever for them to get back to you when you send them an email.

Control panel logs me out quite often too.

Anyone recommend some other hosting provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭akagaby

If you promise not to brake anything, I'll give you some space on my server (not free)
    PM me for more info

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭anbrutog

Every time I install Joomla on register365 I get permissions unwritable issues.

I can't change file permissions through ftp or upload anything.

It seems to take forever for them to get back to you when you send them an email.

Control panel logs me out quite often too.

Anyone recommend some other hosting provider?

An absolute shambles of a provider, believe me you got off easy if thats all thats all that happened to you!

PM sent..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Are you on Windows hosting? If so you may have CHMOD issues as that is a Unix command. Also ideally you should not use 777 permissions unless you can't avoid it, as they can be a security issue (this does depend on a multitude of factors, mainly web host related). Setting up Joomla with the FTP Layer may solve your issues, I would recommend this over 777 dir permissions

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Bombbastic22

yoyo wrote: »
    Are you on Windows hosting? If so you may have CHMOD issues as that is a Unix command. Also ideally you should not use 777 permissions unless you can't avoid it, as they can be a security issue (this does depend on a multitude of factors, mainly web host related). Setting up Joomla with the FTP Layer may solve your issues, I would recommend this over 777 dir permissions

Nick

I can't change the permissions or do anything really - it just says access denied.

After wasting hours upon hours tinkering with things, I came to realise the problem must be on their end and, after ringing them, it was confirmed that it was.

The only advice they could give is to wait a day to see if it resolves.

Two days later and I still can't do jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭akagaby

Why not try another host provider?

• Advertisement

I can't change the permissions or do anything really - it just says access denied.

After wasting hours upon hours tinkering with things, I came to realise the problem must be on their end and, after ringing them, it was confirmed that it was.

The only advice they could give is to wait a day to see if it resolves.

Two days later and I still can't do jack.

Can you even login via ftp? You can edit the configuration.php file to turn on the ftp layer, then re-upload it. Create a new FTP account in your hosting cp, and point it to your sites root directory. Generally htdocs/www.sitename.com/ although it can vary.
    These are the settings you'd be after in the configuration.php file:
    public $ftp_host = 'your sites ftp host';
    	public $ftp_port = '21';
    	public $ftp_user = 'your ftp username';
    	public $ftp_pass = 'your ftp password';
    	public $ftp_root = '/';
    	public $ftp_enable = '1'; /**Set to 1 to enable/0 to disable ftp layer*/

Nick

Can you even login via ftp? You can edit the configuration.php file to turn on the ftp layer, then re-upload it. Create a new FTP account in your hosting cp, and point it to your sites root directory. Generally htdocs/www.sitename.com/ although it can vary.
    These are the settings you'd be after in the configuration.php file:
    public $ftp_host = 'your sites ftp host';
        public $ftp_port = '21';
        public $ftp_user = 'your ftp username';
        public $ftp_pass = 'your ftp password';
        public $ftp_root = '/';
        public $ftp_enable = '1'; /**Set to 1 to enable/0 to disable ftp layer*/

Nick

Ya, I can log in via ftp but it won't let me do anything with any of the directories or files therein.

I had the same problem a week ago and it resolved spontaneously.

The best advice I got from 365 was to keep an eye on this page so as I know when their end is fully functional again:

http://www.register365.com/network-status.html

They are saying it's the fault of hackers.................... 'The issue may have arisen due to an increase in exploited Wordpress/Joomla websites and this is a global problem being experienced by hosting companies driven by attackers intent on hijacking exploited sites.'

Doesn't seem like it will be fixed soon as they don't seem to even know what the problem is, only what it might be.

Ya, I can log in via ftp but it won't let me do anything with any of the directories or files therein.

I had the same problem a week ago and it resolved spontaneously.

The best advice I got from 365 was to keep an eye on this page so as I know when their end is fully functional again:

http://www.register365.com/network-status.html

They are saying it's the fault of hackers.................... 'The issue may have arisen due to an increase in exploited Wordpress/Joomla websites and this is a global problem being experienced by hosting companies driven by attackers intent on hijacking exploited sites.'

Doesn't seem like it will be fixed soon as they don't seem to even know what the problem is, only what it might be.

That would be their issue so, the fact you cannot download/upload stuff via ftp would confirm this. Regardless of exploits in the various free CMS systems on shared hosting, that is the hosts problem, not yours. If a site on another account(s) is compromised, your account should be safe on a shared hosting platform. If it gets affected this is a security issue on their side, not yours

Nick

That would be their issue so, the fact you cannot download/upload stuff via ftp would confirm this. Regardless of exploits in the various free CMS systems on shared hosting, that is the hosts problem, not yours. If a site on another account(s) is compromised, your account should be safe on a shared hosting platform. If it gets affected this is a security issue on their side, not yours

Nick

Cheers for your suggestions anyway mate.

Apparently all problems are fixed their end but my problem still exists.

Hmmm.....c'est la vie I guess.

Looks like I'm changing providers though - this is far too much unnecessary hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 allaboutclicks

It sounds like you need a different hosting provider. I've used letshost.ie and hostingireland.ie and found both good. There is an issue with permissions and joomla - you do have set the permissions for a number of directories to 777 as yoyo said (here's a bit about it http://clients.hostingireland.ie/knowledgebase/2229/Joomla-Permissions.html - this page is for an earlier version of joomla but you'll be able to it figure out)

If you're creating the site for someone else obviously this is a huge problem but if it's for your own site I'd suggest having your own local copy of the site, adding whatever you need to to the local copy first, updating/upgrading everything there - where you have full permission over your files - and then just upload the site when you need to and leave the permissions on the live site as they are - it's a pain but it will mean the site is very secure - if that's any comfort ;)

• Advertisement

It sounds like you need a different hosting provider. I've used letshost.ie and hostingireland.ie and found both good. There is an issue with permissions and joomla - you do have set the permissions for a number of directories to 777 as yoyo said (here's a bit about it http://clients.hostingireland.ie/knowledgebase/2229/Joomla-Permissions.html - this page is for an earlier version of joomla but you'll be able to it figure out)

If you're creating the site for someone else obviously this is a huge problem but if it's for your own site I'd suggest having your own local copy of the site, adding whatever you need to to the local copy first, updating/upgrading everything there - where you have full permission over your files - and then just upload the site when you need to and leave the permissions on the live site as they are - it's a pain but it will mean the site is very secure - if that's any comfort ;)
    I would highly advise not setting 777 directory permissions. Joomla has an FTP layer which avoids the need to use these permissions on shared hosting which doesn't support writing at level 755 permissions.
    If permissions are needed 777 ones should be used with caution, many shared hosts are now using SuPHP which aims to address permissions issues.

Nick

Yeah, I think developing locally is definitely the way forward - that way if I do have issues with the hosting provider they will only be a one off and won't keep impeding on development every five minutes and really these problems only arise after installation.

I'll give you one more chance Register365 but if you fail me again the door swings both ways and I know which way I'll be sending youse!!!!!!

Cheers.

Advertisement