Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed.. please?

• 11-04-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi guys, hope I'm in the right forum.. Anyways I'm wondering if ye could recommend a good editing software for music, my bf writes and records his own music he also enjoys editing n mixing songs. His birthday is coming up n I'm hoping to get him an android tablet (not sure which one yet) so when i get this i want to try have it modified to suit himself some bit. I'd help by telling u which software he previously used, but his laptops crashed.. And I've no clue about these things. Any help for now would be brilliant. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

when you say 'editing and mixing songs' do you mean he chops them up and makes mash-ups? or do you mean he edits and mixes them fromasound engineering perspective? different software would be recommended depending on your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RightlyRandom

He kinda does a bit of both, if that makes sense? So even if u recommend software for each that'd be great.. although i'd be more interested in software that enables him to record and edit is own songs rather than the mash up process?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Let me be the first to recommend Ableton Live ( www.ableton.com ). There's a couple of different versions. You can start at the most limited version for around €95, the bigger more full version is €389 and then you can go for the full shebang at around €600. Not sure what you're budget is.
    Does he use mac or pc? I'm sure he'd be delighted to get a tablet for his birthday but just to let you know, if it's gonna be his primary music making tool I would ask around if it's a good idea. I'm not sure that tablets are up to the job of being your only music making computer. I've seen them used in conjunction with laptops but laptops are still the way to go for music making as far as I am aware. Maybe someone with a tablet could chime in and let you know more.
    If you've any questions about Ableton you can post them here or PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Rob Humanoid

It depends on the platform... If he's using a mac, Logic would be a great program to get. It's not only an excellent program, and in many cases is considered the industry standard (along with Cubase, Pro Tools, S1, Ableton, etc.). The cost is 179e form the Apple store...

https://www.apple.com/ie/logicpro/garageband-to-logic/

I'm partial to Presonus S1 myself, although I did use Logic and Ableton before that.

In all honesty tho', any of the major DAWs (or Digital Audio Workstations) will see him right. I suggested Logic as it's pretty cheap, but still very good too. :)

Advertisement