Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 11-04-2013 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm upgrading my system following my PSU conking out not long ago and was looking for advice on parts/pricing.

So far I've worked out what I'd ideally like are an i5 3570k, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, Corsair Vengeance 8gb Low Profile (LP due to Noctua Cooler) and a Corsair GS700 with 3 year warranty.

I was advised before to perhaps Get a case upgrade from my Antec 900 and was looking at a NZXT Source 210 Elite White (USb 3.0 and tidy features over original Source 210)
    A new HDD may be needed also.

Parts I can reuse include my GTX560Ti OC, Noctua NH-D14 cooler, keyboard, mouse, and possibly monitor. (19" 5:4 ratio, any upgrade ideas welcome)

I am interested in overclocking and upgrading to 16gb ram in future for media applications such as 3DS Max, Photoshop, Vegas.

The price using HWVS and Gehzeil (sp?) works out at roughly €505 ex. shipping for CPU, RAM, Mobo, PSU and the case. Any alterations ye would recommend making, or should I go for this?

1. What is your budget? [€600]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/Music/Video

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (2 DVD Drives, Unsure of brand, but decent. Possibly Antec 900 case, but was advised otherwise, A small few fans) No.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No, but suggestions are welcome as an upgrade from 19" 4:3 ratio]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19' and up]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1280x1024] [Yes]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Possibly a mouse.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Visa Debit/Paypal]

9. When are you purchasing? [Asap, This week hopefully]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? []

Thanks,
    rcazzy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd change the power supply to this.

Great mouse for the money.

I assume you are planning on going sli? Otherwise the motherboard and power supply are overkill. If you are I'd maybe spend a bit more on the case. That nzxt is a good case for the money but if you are going sli you probably should should spend a few more beans on a better case.

Is the main use gaming? An amd 8350 or 8320 would outperform the i5 in 3dsm, vegas and photoshop, could be built cheaper and you have a godly cpu cooler already to overclock. The i5 is better in most games though but that might change with more multi-thread games on the horizon.

You should really look into upgrading your monitor as well but maybe put it off until you get a new graphics card as well.

This is great for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rcazzy

Thanks for the reply, man.

I've changed the PSU to your suggestion and decided to go all out and get the mouse and monitor also, while it may not do brilliantly res wise atm, it'll be a damn sight better than what I have now.

SLI is a goal for the future, but I don't mind upgrading the case again for when it comes about. I'd be gaming more than using those programs, so the i5 is good enough for the moment, especially with the OC'ing.

Advertisement