Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

earthing and bonding in a bathroom

Options
  • 11-04-2013 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just a question for some of you experienced electricians.

If a house is plumbed in plastic piping.Do I need to run an earth to the bathroom(sink/bath) or if I earth the copper pipes in the hot press is that sufficient.

The sink in the bathroom has a small amount of copper piping connected to the plastic piping.Do these need to be cross bonded.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

larrya wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just a question for some of you experienced electricians.

If a house is plumbed in plastic piping.Do I need to run an earth to the bathroom(sink/bath) or if I earth the copper pipes in the hot press is that sufficient.

The sink in the bathroom has a small amount of copper piping connected to the plastic piping.Do these need to be cross bonded.

Thanks in advance.

if the pipework in the bathroom is done in qualplex then they will not require cross bonding

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

There is about 2 foot of copper from each tap and then joins the qualplex.Am I right in thinking I dont need to do anything with these pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

not if the qualpex is protuding up through the floor

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

larrya wrote: »
    There is about 2 foot of copper from each tap and then joins the qualplex.Am I right in thinking I dont need to do anything with these pipes.

According to ET:101
    "701.544.05 Metal baths or shower basins isolated from all extraneous conductive parts ........... shall not be connected to the local bonding system."

Further on in 701.544.05 it states that isolation can be verified by carrying out an insulation resistance test.

So if I were doing this I would verify this first, record the value from the Meggar and only bond if required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

that part seems to be referring to metal fixtures that may be extranous depending on how they're fitted

the only way to know is test

>25 or 50k more likely

is any value provided in et101?

• Advertisement
Advertisement