Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving HL English?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I'm sitting higher level English and I'm trying to further improve my English to even more higher standards, i know reading books can help but how many books a week and are there any other tips besides reading books?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

Hi,

Okay so I did the Junior last year and did pretty good in english.
    Was aiming for atleast a B but had been a C student in 2nd and 3rd year.
    My teacher last year gave really good tips that helped me get a B. Was so close to an A biggrin.png

He told us to read newspapers.
    Broadsheets that is. E.G. The Guardian and the sorts. He said this as these newspapers have a very high standard of English and he said by being open to this, we would learn more English but of a higher standard. I usually got one or two a week. I cut out interseting articles and I saved these up just before the exam and I read these before the exam. They were a big help in the exam as I ended up using a lot of words that I didn't know before.

Also, DON'T STOP READING. Seriously, The only way to get better is to keep reading to learn the different styles used and such. I went through around 13 books last year(excluding class books). Really started enjoying it and wrote down new words I didn't know before. Aswell as that, my teacher gave a 'style' sheet which contained all the various different styles such as Pathetic Fallacy and Personification etc. Really helped me in the exam.

Hope this helps

Advertisement