Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office 2003

Options
  • 11-04-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Looking for a place to buy a copy of Office 2003 (or 2007 or 2010, but preferably 2003) online. The girlfriends laptop runs xp and she is loath to get a new one (and office 2013 doesnt support xp).

I am aware of the free alternatives (Libre and open office) but they aren't suitable for using on work documents as formatting can be problem occasionally and their version of excel is pretty limited if you use anything other than basic functions.

Any suggestions?

Cheers guys

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Howdy,

Looking for a place to buy a copy of Office 2003 (or 2007 or 2010, but preferably 2003) online. The girlfriends laptop runs xp and she is loath to get a new one (and office 2013 doesnt support xp).

I am aware of the free alternatives (Libre and open office) but they aren't suitable for using on work documents as formatting can be problem occasionally and their version of excel is pretty limited if you use anything other than basic functions.

Any suggestions?

Cheers guys

Something that is coming up quite a bit lately! The support for both Office 2003 and Windows XP will be ended in a years time, so I would advise getting a Home & Student Office 2007 or Office 2010 license (As I think these can be installed on up to three computers) so that you can use it again if you need to get another machine after XP support ends/you decide to upgrade the version of Windows.
    HERE is an Office 2010 license for just over €100 delivered, you can download the Office setup files required for the install

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

You should get Office 2007 or 2010.

Compatible with XP, has more features and you can convert files/documents to 2003.

You can't convert to newer versions of Office with 2003 without 3rd party software.

Many a time I got caught out by only having 2003 and the computer I was to give a presentation on wasn't compatible.

Also don't forget Open Office compatible with all MS Office from 2003 to 2010....and it's free. OpenOffice.org

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If you want I have an old copy that I had bought, but no longer use, of both office 2007 home and student and Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition Plus Onenote 2003 and Access 2003. You're welcome to one of them FOC.

PS Nick (I'm too lazy to look up) you can pass on second hand copies of MS products can you? I no longer have them installed anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

cookie1977 wrote: »
    PS Nick (I'm too lazy to look up) you can pass on second hand copies of MS products can you? I no longer have them installed anywhere.

Retail yes, OEM no.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cookie1977 wrote: »
    If you want I have an old copy that I had bought, but no longer use, of both office 2007 home and student and Office 2003 Student and Teacher Edition Plus Onenote 2003 and Access 2003. You're welcome to one of them FOC.

Hi Cookie

Thats a very generous offer. Fair play :) . I imagine software is not "transferable" however I'm sure it's possibly acceptable. Given the fact that second hand video games are sold I don't see the issue here really, unless there may be some activation related ones? Maybe someone else could confirm :)

Nick

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Retail yes, OEM no.

They're both retail. Thanks Torqay.

yoyo wrote: »
    Hi Cookie

Thats a very generous offer. Fair play :) . I imagine software is not "transferable" however I'm sure it's possibly acceptable. Given the fact that second hand video games are sold I don't see the issue here really, unless there may be some activation related ones? Maybe someone else could confirm :)

Nick

Well they're only gathering dust in my desk so if they go to a good home I'm happy.

EDIT
    I actually have a copy of Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus (bought from software4students) too if you'd prefer. It's downloadable too and I can send you the licence. I'm a bit of an ms office whore/hoarder. Again it's installed on nothing now as I have a copy of 2013 university edition.

If you're getting MSO 2003, don't forget the Compatibility Pack, so she can handle DOCX files.

Another alternative would be the free version of Softmaker Office. Much leaner than Open/Libre Office and excellent compatility with MSO documents (incl. 2007/2010). Ideal for older systems with XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hey Cookie,

Cheers for the offer i might take you up on that!Ill send you a PM. Very hard to source anything other than 2013 these days unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yoyo wrote: »
    Hi Cookie

Nick
    It would be in the EULA about transfer rights... I'm too lazy to check. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Overheal wrote: »
    It would be in the EULA about transfer rights... I'm too lazy to check. Go for it.

Cookie sorted me out, thanks agaim For that, much appreciated!

Overheal wrote: »

The EULA is irrelevant, the European Court of Justice says so.

Advertisement