Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting beaten up in a store/company for asking a question

• 11-04-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

If someone asked a question in a shop regarding why most of the employees were foreign, why were so few Irish employed despite staggering levels of unemployment? Was racism present? Then if the security guard asked one to leave which one did,but on the way out asked for his Identification. Then if one was thrown to the ground while a female staff member laughed. Then one found a phone to photo his id but during this was again thrown to the ground. Then, asked for a manager but the security guard tried to throw the individual onto off a step onto a stone pavement.

I really wonder is this considered good enough for people that ask questions? Is it wrong to ask questions? If one then phoned another store in the chain for an area manager requesting the CCTV footage for fear the footage would be deleted? All this happened in a flagship store of a huge chain store. If this happened within the hour, What would one do? If This happened just before 5pm so solicitors I went to were closed. I never lost my temper or used abusive or profane language during the incident but was quite shocked by the level of violence used.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

If someone asked a question in a shop regarding why most of the employees were foreign, why were so few Irish employed despite staggering levels of unemployment? Was racism present? Then if the security guard asked one to leave which one did,but on the way out asked for his Identification. Then if one was thrown to the ground while a female staff member laughed. Then one found a phone to photo his id but during this was again thrown to the ground. Then, asked for a manager but the security guard tried to throw the individual onto off a step onto a stone pavement.

I really wonder is this considered good enough for people that ask questions? Is it wrong to ask questions? If one then phoned another store in the chain for an area manager requesting the CCTV footage for fear the footage would be deleted? All this happened in a flagship store of a huge chain store. If this happened within the hour, What would one do?

If one was serious he would go to a solicitor and one would not ask tortured hypotheticals on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

One would call the Gardai, wouldnt one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

One should stop going around looking for trouble because one will find it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

One wonders where the "beaten up" part comes into this story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

One does not get lippy with a security guard or one can expect to smell the carpet.
    If one was requested to leave peacefully them one should have left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

If this hypothetical racist felt agrieved he would make a report to the Gardaí/PSA/Head Office. He could also contact a solicitor with a view to suing for damages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

One would give us the just of what the flagship store sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Probably Des Kelly carpets : )

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sweettooth14

I was going to a solicitor but this happened just before 5pm and by the time I collected myself, it was 5pm and I could not find a solicitor open. Store was a large foreign owned company - one of the largest in the British Isles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

One should seek advise from gardai to make sure the video is not "lost" on one. Was one asking questions in a mannerly fashion or was one bothering staff and patrons with an obnoxious and menacing tone ? One should have some marks or brushing from the incident so one should present ones self at a hospital to have marks/ bruises documented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

If someone asked a question in a shop regarding why most of the employees were foreign, why were so few Irish employed despite staggering levels of unemployment? Was racism present?
    I wouldn't consider this completely racist. More like one was indulging in some jingoism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Why did one feel the need to direct questions regarding company recruitment policy to staff on the shop floor, and not direct them to the management of the company involved ?.

I asked the floor staff but wanted to ask management but a minute got thrown to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I asked the floor staff but wanted to ask management but a minute got thrown to the ground.
    Why did you feel the need to ask such a question?
    What were you expecting the answer to be ?- we didn't get enough Irish applicants :confused:

I wanted feedback regarding where to address my concerns regarding hiring practises of the firm. I really did not think I was going to be thrown to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Ring the Gardai it is assault plain and simple security guards don't have the right to touch you. If you ring them they can go and ask to see the footage etc.. and you can go to a solicitor later.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭darklighter

One would wonder why one didnt report said incident to ones nearest local law enforcement officer?????????

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement