Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WildStar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

What about paths?

I tried Soldier and Scientist in the beta. The scientist rewards include a party portal which I think would be really handy and the scientist quests appealed to me.....but dismissing and summoning that bot over and over was starting to get irritating.

I think i'll try settler for release. Speeder bikes for all! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Kirby wrote: »
    What about paths?

I tried Soldier and Scientist in the beta. The scientist rewards include a party portal which I think would be really handy and the scientist quests appealed to me.....but dismissing and summoning that bot over and over was starting to get irritating.

I think i'll try settler for release. Speeder bikes for all! :D

I'm tempted by Scientist, purely because the skills you get with it are so useful. That said, I played as Explorer in the beta and greatly enjoyed that, especially with how the missions tied so well into the area you were in, for example being told to get to the top of a hill and place a beacon to call in sniper support.

I also tried settler a bit, but think I'd find the constant gathering of resources a little tedious. They have the ability to give speeder bikes to people? I thought it was just resource stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I liked settler the most, i enjoyed building the buff stations in quest hubs and seeing every one scamper over to them, also you get really handy path abilities like summoning a vendor. and some times you can build special weapon/armor vendors who have nice stuff.

shame you cant use the camp fire in pvp anymore though that was handy defending your mask room thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 teishen

Looking for a guild for WildStar! ;) Preferably on an RP-PVP server (should one exist!). People MIGHT know me as Djee, the twi'lek tank from SWTOR.

One more week....,

• Advertisement

teishen wrote: »
    Looking for a guild for WildStar! ;) Preferably on an RP-PVP server (should one exist!). People MIGHT know me as Djee, the twi'lek tank from SWTOR.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Wildstar has RP servers, I think every server just has an RP chat channel.

@Kirby: Call me cynical, but has headstart access on an MMO ever been successful? In terms of the servers being reliable?

I do believe they might have one Rp pvp server in the works which will be open to all regions.

delta36 wrote: »
    @Kirby: Call me cynical, but has headstart access on an MMO ever been successful? In terms of the servers being reliable?

That's a good point but I don't think we've ever had a beta last this long either.....and that makes a difference. They have had a long time to work things like server load out and while I'm under no illusions that there will be problems......tbh I think it will be a fairly smooth launch by normal MMO standards.

With regards to the RP-PVP server, there isn't one at the moment but there has been a lot of requests for one....so I think they might consider it.

Ow i can just see all the people moaning about how they took a week of work for this !! cant log amagawd wtf refund meh plix.

I dont seem to be noticing much hype around wildstar, i was expecting to see some by now since its only a week away from launch ?

That's a good point but I don't think we've ever had a beta last this long either.....and that makes a difference. They have had a long time to work things like server load out and while I'm under no illusions that there will be problems......tbh I think it will be a fairly smooth launch by normal MMO standards.

That is true, they are testing it practically up to launch date. May keep my hopes up so!
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    I dont seem to be noticing much hype around wildstar, i was expecting to see some by now since its only a week away from launch ?

I've come across a fair amount on some gaming sites, certainly a good bit of hype during the open beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm seeing ADs for it EVERYWHERE (from Browsing).

Havent seen any ads at all. None online, none on tv. Guildwars 2 had a really aggressive ad campaign. I remember seeing ads for it all over british and irish tv. None for Wildstar. I wonder what they will sell in the first month. A million? 2 million? Two mill would be a big success. I'm not sure they will hit it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Havent seen any ads at all. None online, none on tv. Guildwars 2 had a really aggressive ad campaign. I remember seeing ads for it all over british and irish tv. None for Wildstar. I wonder what they will sell in the first month. A million? 2 million? Two mill would be a big success. I'm not sure they will hit it though.

The game's had a fair bit of attention from WoW players - even being posted with some news updates with regards to the Beta on MMO-CHAMPION.

Guild Wars 2 had TV ads before launch? I never came across any of those. I do recall they launched some really weird live action ad after the game launched, but thought that was only in cinemas.

I am actually seeing a far few ads on web pages for Wildstar now as well, but I assumed that was google ad's doing, as I've been googling the phrase quite a bit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cool lore video in case anyone's into that kind of thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am really really tempted to get this, but I am so afraid to get burned again. I always pull the trigger on these mmorpgs and always get disappointed. Every time I say its the last time and every time I do it again...,

@Kiith: That was quite good! Helped fill in some of the gaps in the story, especially how there's infrastructure on a planet that the game tells you you just arrived at.
    I am really really tempted to get this, but I am so afraid to get burned again. I always pull the trigger on these mmorpgs and always get disappointed. Every time I say its the last time and every time I do it again...,

Did you have a chance to try the beta at all? What's worrying you about getting burned?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the game is really suppose to pick up at 20 and beyond and be more like old school Everquest then anything else. If someone in your group fail to do their task you WILL fail in a dungeon and you WILL fail multiple times in the dungeons as well to learn them. They even stated that raiding is only going to be for the really hard core because that's the difficulty level they are tuning it for (rather then the other way around in most MMOs).

Well im a picky bastard when it comes to mmo's and this is the first one in since wow that i dont think will go f2p

Like a lot of you, I had been looking for a next mmorpg after wow. I can't find it. I tried so many of them and all of them pure waste of money.

Warhammer online - I loved it to bits, but my Internet was gone for a month and when I came back there were barely anyone playing it anymore. I died in such a sudden death.
    Age of Connan - instanced piece of ****.
    Guild wars 2 - just boring and bland. Wasted money.
    Everquest 2 - I sort of loved it, but was a very hard game to get in, and non of my friends wanted to play it with me.
    Aoin - meh
    Vanguard - okay, but died so fast.
    Starwars one - it should not have been mmorpg at all
    EVE online - I really really love it, but I cannot dedicated so much time to it. I want to be able to play other games too.

There are more mmorpg that I forgot about. All bought, played most for a month and binned. Every time I say - never again I will waste my money and all the time I fecking do.

Annoying thing is that I need to pay full price for a game ir self and a month sub on top. A lot of wasted money as you can't even play after your 60eu game of you don't pay another 15eu on top. Don't understand me wrong, I think mmorpgs work best when use sub model, but I just don't want to waste more money.
    So far, the only game that did it perfectly - eve online. You don't buy game and get all expansions for free. So you can buy 3 months sub off the bat for 30eu and decide if you like it or not in that time. You are not forced to buy game it self! You can even trial it for 14 days and then sub.

TL:DR I love what i see, and I want to give it ago, but I don't have 60eu plus to waste, if it turns out to be a flop or I won't like it after all. Game it self looks freaking great right now. Unfortunately all my mmorpg buddies gotten back to wow and won't be playing wildstar :(

• Advertisement

yea im the same as you really played all those games, i loved eq2 still one of my favorites i just cant play it in its f2p mode and the fae really eh killed that game for me.

I like what i played in pve, i liked the animations i liked the pvp, their was a lot of cool content my highest level was only 17 though and i didnt do dungeons or adventures on purpose, but im primarily a pve player not into raids. Im sure i will play the crap out of it in a month and get my moneys worth, but if your worried about wasting money theirs no harm waiting a week or two to see what more people think. Beta's always have tones of fan boys and people with really bad expectations of games and think garbage is worth a monthly fee. So its hard to know what your going to be paying for if you havent tried the beta yourself.

Even then, playing the beta doesn't really give you a good indication of how the game will be. It will take a few weeks for the game to settle down and to get an indication of what it'll truly be like.
    @ShadowHearth: I've pre-ordered, and am told I get three 7 day passes to give to people who want to trial the game. I'm not sure when after launch I'll get them but you're welcome to one to get a feel for the game, or to see how it's going a month after launch.

Even then, playing the beta doesn't really give you a good indication of how the game will be. It will take a few weeks for the game to settle down and to get an indication of what it'll truly be like.
    @ShadowHearth: I've pre-ordered, and am told I get three 7 day passes to give to people who want to trial the game. I'm not sure when after launch I'll get them but you're welcome to one to get a feel for the game, or to see how it's going a month after launch.

Cheers for that. Most likely I will be a dumbass and buy it anyway... At this stage saying "fool me once etc... " wont even fit me as I am completely a fool at this stage. :pac:

I will see how it will go in the next few days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Like a lot of you, I had been looking for a next mmorpg after wow. I can't find it. I tried so many of them and all of them pure waste of money.

Warhammer online - I loved it to bits, but my Internet was gone for a month and when I came back there were barely anyone playing it anymore. I died in such a sudden death.
    Age of Connan - instanced piece of ****.
    Guild wars 2 - just boring and bland. Wasted money.
    Everquest 2 - I sort of loved it, but was a very hard game to get in, and non of my friends wanted to play it with me.
    Aoin - meh
    Vanguard - okay, but died so fast.
    Starwars one - it should not have been mmorpg at all
    EVE online - I really really love it, but I cannot dedicated so much time to it. I want to be able to play other games too.

There are more mmorpg that I forgot about. All bought, played most for a month and binned. Every time I say - never again I will waste my money and all the time I fecking do.

Annoying thing is that I need to pay full price for a game ir self and a month sub on top. A lot of wasted money as you can't even play after your 60eu game of you don't pay another 15eu on top. Don't understand me wrong, I think mmorpgs work best when use sub model, but I just don't want to waste more money.
    So far, the only game that did it perfectly - eve online. You don't buy game and get all expansions for free. So you can buy 3 months sub off the bat for 30eu and decide if you like it or not in that time. You are not forced to buy game it self! You can even trial it for 14 days and then sub.

TL:DR I love what i see, and I want to give it ago, but I don't have 60eu plus to waste, if it turns out to be a flop or I won't like it after all. Game it self looks freaking great right now. Unfortunately all my mmorpg buddies gotten back to wow and won't be playing wildstar :(
    yea im the same as you really played all those games, i loved eq2 still one of my favorites i just cant play it in its f2p mode and the fae really eh killed that game for me.

I like what i played in pve, i liked the animations i liked the pvp, their was a lot of cool content my highest level was only 17 though and i didnt do dungeons or adventures on purpose, but im primarily a pve player not into raids. Im sure i will play the crap out of it in a month and get my moneys worth, but if your worried about wasting money theirs no harm waiting a week or two to see what more people think. Beta's always have tones of fan boys and people with really bad expectations of games and think garbage is worth a monthly fee. So its hard to know what your going to be paying for if you havent tried the beta yourself.

I'm the same lads,have so many mmo games over the last 3 yes,played them for a few weeks and dumped them,ATM I'm playing off xiv though and I'm really enjoying it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The Elder Scrolls Online is probably best mmo ive played. Thats not saying its amazing but it has huge atmosphere and the real feel of an adventure. Eve online had both in spades but it requires a lot of commitment that im no longer interested in giving.

I'm kind of annoyed that I've had nothing new to play for several weeks and Mario kart and Wildstar are coming out on the same day. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I'm 100% certain Wildstar will not fail. They are going about things the right way and they will maintain subs at least from the hardcore PvE raiding audience. They have great content at launch and are promising continued content at a rate which should keep even the fastest clearing guilds happy. And of course the most important aspect, the content is excellent.

I've said it before but the entrylevel dungeons at 20 are far better then anything I've played bar some of the better WoW dungeons and there's great things being said about elder game and raids. I said I'd never go back to a proper raiding schedule after WoW but the content in this is going to be too good to pass up.

I'm kind of annoyed that I've had nothing new to play for several weeks and Mario kart and Wildstar are coming out on the same day. :mad:

#firstworldgamerproblems :pac:

@Big Knox: It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Friend of mine made the very good point that, for hardcore raiders, it's going to be hard to tempt people away from WoW, because they're already so established in that game. Why give up everything you have built up in a game over several years.
    That said, the game isn't a WoW clone, so who know's how it'll go.

On a side note, it really irks me when people say that an MMO will go F2P before it's even launched, or in the weeks after it has launched. It's just so dismissive of all the work that has been put into a game, regardless of it's immediate reception. /rant :P

Friend of mine made the very good point that, for hardcore raiders, it's going to be hard to tempt people away from WoW, because they're already so established in that game. Why give up everything you have built up in a game over several years.

The lure to be the best, first. Only one guild gets to be the world first in something. That lure is powerful. You leave WoW because no matter how good your gear is 20,000 people have the same gear as you....and somebody else has better. You cant stand out in that. You cleared a dungeon? Too bad. 27,585 guilds have already done it.

I had a world first personally in WoW....and it felt good. 10 million people were playing and I was unique. I dined out on that for ages even as expansion packs rolled around.

All those hardcore guilds in wow that have become understandably jaded over 10 years will want a new challenge and the chance to brag about their epeen to the internet. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think all pre orders get 3 7 day guest passes shadow. I'll throw one your way next week if you want to try before you buy.

Be great to get gaming with you again while we wait for the rust update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Friend of mine made the very good point that, for hardcore raiders, it's going to be hard to tempt people away from WoW, because they're already so established in that game.

Remember where we are in WoW's release cycle. All the raiders I know are bored. No major new content is coming for a fair while. It's not a big ask to get these guys to at least try raiding in WildStar. The question (like for all MMOs basically) is whether people will stay with it when the next WoW xpac hits.

BKtje wrote: »
    I think all pre orders get 3 7 day guest passes shadow. I'll throw one your way next week if you want to try before you buy.

Be great to get gaming with you again while we wait for the rust update.

Hey, you in to this too? Small world lol.me and misky had a bit of Rust playing. Dickhead shot me in a head instead of some dude with bow and arrow.
    I know wildstar has housing, I wonder if I will be able to push my communism ideologies there too lol! :D

So, headstart should begin for us at 8:01am on Saturday morning, right? Have they released server names yet? We should try to all go on the same server, even if it's opposing factions. You can actually set people as Rivals, and they look slightly different to other enemy players.

Wouldn't mind slaughtering some boardsies :P

Not sure, i just read some comments about them being the same names as in beta. Roll on Saturday !

Hazak was the pvp server. Most of us agreed to roll on that a few pages back if its back for the launch.

Its good to all pick the same server. If enough of us pick it, it might even be known as the "irish server" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Good to know i might join yas in time, SWTOR and a few others have put me off early adopting.

Will wait and see :), hopefully the community thrives unlike swtor.

Ye lads make a good point, WoW is in a lull at the minute.
    So looking forward to game launch now. If I hadn't pre-ordered by now, I would have after watching this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Openside11

Hey there just stumbled across this thread i'm not a MMO fan but I've definitely caught the wild-star bug. Hazak is the server of choice i take it ? Wouldn't mind running into a few Irish lads tried out wow a year back obviously i came late to the party on that one. Not the most welcoming of games really

I can understand that. It can feel alienating to come 8 or 9 years late to the party. Everyone already knows the world and the lingo and often turn their noses up at those who don't.

Fear not! This one is brand new so most people will be as clueless as each other. :P

I can understand that. It can feel alienating to come 8 or 9 years late to the party. Everyone already knows the world and the lingo and often turn their noses up at those who don't.

Fear not! This one is brand new so most people will be as clueless as each other. :P

That's the appeal for me as well! (Plus all the shooty stuff)

Although there's always some w*nker who calls people noobs in map chat in the first week of a game launch. Happened in a beta weekend for Guild Wars 2 before :pac:

• Advertisement

Although there's always some w*nker who calls people noobs in map chat in the first week of a game launch. Happened in a beta weekend for Guild Wars 2 before :pac:

You get that in all online gaming I find. Organised play is the only way to go imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Openside11

nesf wrote: »
    You get that in all online gaming I find. Organised play is the only way to go imho.

Yeah that makes complete sense my problem is my mates aren't gamers so ill have to try and use stuff like boards to find some like minded individuals to put up with my noobness

Openside11 wrote: »
    Yeah that makes complete sense my problem is my mates aren't gamers so ill have to try and use stuff like boards to find some like minded individuals to put up with my noobness

There's usually a boards guild/clan for a game. Also people will be involved in their own clans outside of boards and might offer you a home.

nesf wrote: »
    There's usually a boards guild/clan for a game. Also people will be involved in their own clans outside of boards and might offer you a home.

Shall we try setting one up come Saturday then? If it doesn't work out we can always find a bigger guild and jump ship. Didn't have a chance to look into guilds during the beta at all, they bog standard or offer anything special?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Will characters on the 7 day pass be wiped?
    If not id love to grab one :)

il give mine out when i get them

I'll have some available if anyone needs them as well.

Changed my mind now, and will probably roll a Stalker as my first class. Like the idea of being able to evasion tank, or switch to a sneaky bastard when needed. Will roll a healer at some stage though.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'll have some available if anyone needs them as well.

Changed my mind now, and will probably roll a Stalker as my first class. Like the idea of being able to evasion tank, or switch to a sneaky bastard when needed. Will roll a healer at some stage though.

Curious about the stalker, can anyone destroy your stealth or do you have to attack/be hit with an attack for it to work?
    Have a mad idea of a group of stalkers, all with the Scientist portal, roaming across country to an Dominion base, then unleashing hell by porting in tonnes of people. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have to hand in my end of year project on Friday. It's destiny I tells ya. Working a lot from Saturday onwards though but will send a few hours on it on Saturday. What server are boardsies hitting then?

BKtje wrote: »
    Have to hand in my end of year project on Friday. It's destiny I tells ya. Working a lot from Saturday onwards though but will send a few hours on it on Saturday. What server are boardsies hitting then?

I believe we've decided to roll on Havak.

Also, for anyone who still has the beta client, that's usable for the game launch, just run it sometime during the week to make sure it's up to date!

• Advertisement
Advertisement