Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WildStar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

copeyhagen wrote: »
    MagicIrl - level 20 Gardener

That's me! I figured out the crafting system too so now, instead of hunting specific plants down, I'll just plant them myself and grow what I need! :pac:

Is the level 25 hoverboard better than the level 15 mount? I'm 21 and have held off buying the first mount so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

MagicIRL wrote: »
    That's me! I figured out the crafting system too so now, instead of hunting specific plants down, I'll just plant them myself and grow what I need! :pac:

Is the level 25 hoverboard better than the level 15 mount? I'm 21 and have held off buying the first mount so far.

Same speed apparently, but the hoverboard (unlike Back to the Future) works on water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

You can upgrade your speed at level 40.

delta36 wrote: »
    Same speed apparently, but the hoverboard (unlike Back to the Future) works on water.

Oooo, game changer! I'm sure waterboarding is fun! :pac:

I've yet to delve in to a dungeon yet. Levelling is really becoming a pain in the hole though. I'm not sure if it's because I'm now used to playing each WoW expansion and only going up 10 levels at a time, or even 5, as oppossed to levelling to the cap again with no XP buffs (Hello heirlooms!)

I'm not sure how things will play out, especially with something like Warlords of Draenor coming out at the end of the year. Will I stay or jump ship? Who knows.

Just heard back from Carbine support they wouldn't make an exception and allow me transfer to Hazak :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

So is this game worth buying then ? i bought ESO and tbh liked the game but has no interest in playing it. but me and a few friends are looking at wildstar so give me you though's on the game

Get a hold of a 7-day trial if you can. It's a good game but the questing is shocking. The key issue, currently, is the only way to break up questing is to either PvP (not everyone's cup fo tea) or dungeons/adventures which offer horrible XP return for the time and teamwork required.

What is wrong with the questing ? will try get a hold of the guest pass . Cheers for the advice

jeawan wrote: »
    What is wrong with the questing ? will try get a hold of the guest pass . Cheers for the advice

It's so mundane and boring. Back in the days of Vanilla WoW, MMO options were relatively limited. Everyone levelled up via questing and it took a signifcant amount of time.

Since then, the whole gaming world in general, has undergone a massive shift and having to slog hours away in meaningless quests is not endeering to the average gamer anymore.

It's your standard "Hey, go get X of these for me. Kill Y of these for me. Travel over here and talk to Person Z for me" quests. Every. single. time. MMO games need to move away from this approach.

Grind questing should be for reputation farms only, in my opinion. Regular levelling up should be done via a specific storyline quest. Each quest "level" equates to one player level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

sure what else type of quests can they do? i mean that's the mmo style. i cant really see any other variation of how to do it. and if you don't like it then don't play it??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 trainslaughing

is anyone else playing on Hazak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm still on hazak.

miece16 wrote: »
    sure what else type of quests can they do? i mean that's the mmo style. i cant really see any other variation of how to do it. and if you don't like it then don't play it??

I think MMOs need to move away from the concept of having a player do ~300 quests to level up. A quests should be a challange in itself, with an emphesis on quality not quantity.

Take SWTOR's Class Story. That worked well for your class because it was engaging, but what took from it was the sheer amount of little quests you had to do along the way to suppliment that main arc. For me, I would make it so (if in Wildstar you have 50 class levels) - You have a class/race/faction quest that is broken in to 50 sub-quests. Each of these, upon completion, grants the user one 1 level for their character. These sub quests would take a considerable time to complete, perhaps ranging between 30mins to 60mins depending. It gives a "new" way to level, without losing the "old" way.

People who enjoy the old style questing can still do so outside of their main story arc, but recieve either little or no XP. Instead, they recieve reputation or money, or what have you, so instead of questing to level you quest for monetary or personal gain instead of trying to blast through it as quick as possible.

Perhaps, even, using this system, enemy mobs could have a dynamic level system where they scale instantly depending on who 'tags' them first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It's so mundane and boring. Back in the days of Vanilla WoW, MMO options were relatively limited. Everyone levelled up via questing and it took a signifcant amount of time.

Since then, the whole gaming world in general, has undergone a massive shift and having to slog hours away in meaningless quests is not endeering to the average gamer anymore.

It's your standard "Hey, go get X of these for me. Kill Y of these for me. Travel over here and talk to Person Z for me" quests. Every. single. time. MMO games need to move away from this approach.

Grind questing should be for reputation farms only, in my opinion. Regular levelling up should be done via a specific storyline quest. Each quest "level" equates to one player level.

maybe do what guild wars 2 did eh?in terms of the questing.

maybe do what guild wars 2 did eh?in terms of the questing.

Perhaps, but the GW2 questing was 1) instanced (which sucks in an MMO imo) and 2) not as well cinematically or interactively as SWTOR's attempt.

It's definately something that, in my opinion, needs to fundementally change. It's like everything is stuck in a cycle of trying to replicate what WoW has in terms of success.

Something that breaks the mould without breaking the tradition MMO genre will be a huge success in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think MMOs need to move away from the concept of having a player do ~300 quests to level up. A quests should be a challange in itself, with an emphesis on quality not quantity.

Take SWTOR's Class Story. That worked well for your class because it was engaging, but what took from it was the sheer amount of little quests you had to do along the way to suppliment that main arc. For me, I would make it so (if in Wildstar you have 50 class levels) - You have a class/race/faction quest that is broken in to 50 sub-quests. Each of these, upon completion, grants the user one 1 level for their character. These sub quests would take a considerable time to complete, perhaps ranging between 30mins to 60mins depending. It gives a "new" way to level, without losing the "old" way.

People who enjoy the old style questing can still do so outside of their main story arc, but recieve either little or no XP. Instead, they recieve reputation or money, or what have you, so instead of questing to level you quest for monetary or personal gain instead of trying to blast through it as quick as possible.

Perhaps, even, using this system, enemy mobs could have a dynamic level system where they scale instantly depending on who 'tags' them first.

MMO's by design are ment to be timesinks. The longer it takes you to reach the end game the longer you pay a subscription fee (P2P) or buy xp boosts (F2P). While TOR's class story was good for the most part it was the exact same kill X amount of mobs or collect x amount of items as every other MMO just in a more fancy format. Even with the fancy dressing, the class quests made up only a tiny fraction of the leveling up experience and the quests themselves were pretty basic in design with players facing the exact same configuration of mobs every single time.

The setting of a MMO game is what matters and Wildstar has a pretty cool one with multiple leveling routes/zones like WoW does which makes alting less of a chore.

Yes but my point is that 50 "Killx and y" quests is better than ~300 of them. An MMO is a timesink, but it's an endgame timesink. MMOs make their money on the players who play every day gearing up to raid and continuing to raid. Questing is a sideplot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Yes but my point is that 50 "Killx and y" quests is better than ~300 of them. An MMO is a timesink, but it's an endgame timesink. MMOs make their money on the players who play every day gearing up to raid and continuing to raid. Questing is a sideplot.

Think you will find that a huge misconception. The majority of mmo players are not end game raiders.

Anyone wrote: »
    Think you will find that a huge misconception. The majority of mmo players are not end game raiders.

Then why does so much development go in to content that the majority of players will not experience? Nonsense I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I like the questing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

The last boss in Stormtalon's Lair (Stormtalon himself) is absolutely nuts on Veteran. Only got to try him 4 times last night but we weren't even close to getting any kind of attempt going. The rest of the dungeon is fine with a decent group but to think you need to finish it in 30 minutes with all extras to get silver for attunement is...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Then why does so much development go in to content that the majority of players will not experience? Nonsense I say.
    No he is correct; WoW did the census data a few years in showing like 95% of all characters were not max level. The reason a lot of development is spent on end game content is because the end game raiders are the people who run out of content the fastest (as the lower levels still have all the "old" content to go through) and they can also great a great buzz about your game and make people go "One day I'm going to kick Ragnaros in his molten balls myself!" which makes them continue playing at a casual rate.

Nody wrote: »
    No he is correct; WoW did the census data a few years in showing like 95% of all characters were not max level. The reason a lot of development is spent on end game content is because the end game raiders are the people who run out of content the fastest (as the lower levels still have all the "old" content to go through) and they can also great a great buzz about your game and make people go "One day I'm going to kick Ragnaros in his molten balls myself!" which makes them continue playing at a casual rate.

Fair enough. I don't believe the census is as accurate as they claim. I know for a fact I have a ratio of something similar to 5:1 when it comes to low level character compared to my max level mains, however the /played on my main toons would dwarf my other characters combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Fair enough. I don't believe the census is as accurate as they claim. I know for a fact I have a ratio of something similar to 5:1 when it comes to low level character compared to my max level mains, however the /played on my main toons would dwarf my other characters combined.

Considering the amount of F2P MMO's on the market these days I can easily believe the census. Players these days can hop between different games everytime one gets new content so sticking around for the end game grind just doesn't happen as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Nody wrote: »
    No he is correct; WoW did the census data a few years in showing like 95% of all characters were not max level.

How many of those 95% low level characters where of Asian origin, and had names like "ahsanfnbkabfa34"?

Or perhaps were level 1 and had names like "AllianceBankToon"? :P

More than 5% of actual players raided. That's a ludicrously low number.

• Advertisement

Maybe only 5% raid because they give up before reaching max level because the levelling is so boring! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I agree to a certain extent. That the levelling is lacklustre. Some of the quests are actually good fun. Usually the ship missions where you investigate a plague or an abandoned space station. But most of them are Kill X and Travel Y. They needed more variety and the lack of voice acting and cutscenes is inexcusable in 2014 tbh.

I'm still only level 29 and taking my time. The world cup is on so that's eating into my time coz I'm watching all the games....but if I wasn't, I still wouldn't be putting in marathon 8 hour sessions because It does get dull after a while.

I agree completly with Kirby. I'm only lvl 28 and I take 2-3 day breaks from the game but I always seem to come back. This never happened with WoW back in the day (or not as much with GW2). I don't know if it's because I'm older and have more responsibilities or what (honestly I think it's this) but I just don't feel the need to play constantly.

That said when I do play I highly enjoy it for 3-4hrs before stopping again. The title music always brings a stupid grin to my face as well for some reason ;D

EDIT: I'm actually 29, excellent :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

struggling to play more than an hour at a time. the questing is mind numbing stuff. I'm baffled how they obviously put so much work into the rest of the game but the actual questing mechanics seems like an afterthought. the questing in wow is actually much better and that's saying a lot as wow questing is mind numbing too.

they really need to cut out a lot of the "kill x" missions. I'm at level 32 now and I get one of these every third quest or so, when I see them I actual feel the energy draining out of me.

miece16 wrote: »

elder scrolls online for all its many faults and bugs had a great questing system, never felt grindy, every quest felt unique. it's not that hard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 trainslaughing

BKtje wrote: »
    I agree completly with Kirby. I'm only lvl 28 and I take 2-3 day breaks from the game but I always seem to come back. This never happened with WoW back in the day (or not as much with GW2). I don't know if it's because I'm older and have more responsibilities or what (honestly I think it's this) but I just don't feel the need to play constantly.

That said when I do play I highly enjoy it for 3-4hrs before stopping again. The title music always brings a stupid grin to my face as well for some reason ;D

EDIT: I'm actually 29, excellent :p

The music is what I love most. The weird western/fantasy hybrid they've come up with is really catchy. I may actually leave a character sitting in one particular bar that has some awesome music playing.

froog wrote: »
    struggling to play more than an hour at a time. the questing is mind numbing stuff. I'm baffled how they obviously put so much work into the rest of the game but the actual questing mechanics seems like an afterthought. the questing in wow is actually much better and that's saying a lot as wow questing is mind numbing too.

they really need to cut out a lot of the "kill x" missions. I'm at level 32 now and I get one of these every third quest or so, when I see them I actual feel the energy draining out of me.

You don't kill "X" minions though. You kill a % amount which is determined by several different factors including; how many mobs you pull, the level, the strength of relevant mob(s), etc.

EDIT: MMO's will always have grinds. I'm not really sure what other quest types you'd suggest as the game itself has many different styles of questing and gaining experiences through Adventures, PvP, Dungeons, Airship missions, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

As the last person said, i dont really know what else an MMO maker can do to change the questing system. GW2 was all about these "dynamic events" but they were really just quests in disguise, and I found that I spent quite a lot of time doing the same events over and over, in certain zones. I've enjoyed the Wildstar questing so far, although I've only got to level 13 so that may well change!

Just to point out, I find some quest lines really cool!

the amount of botters around wild run anoying the crap out of me, lvl 14 guys teleporting around from node to node :mad:

I played some PvP last night. Very enjoyable, especially as a healer. If only people weren't so shít and could kill the enemy though.

Finally got Stormtalon killed on Vet >_<

My God it's tough

Lone Stone wrote: »
    the amount of botters around wild run anoying the crap out of me, lvl 14 guys teleporting around from node to node :mad:

I noticed this last night for the first time wish i could mine that quick make life easier .

Quite enjoying this game only started playing friday evening and really enjoying how it plays it is a bit of a learning curve but once you get into it it isnt too bad.

Anyone playing a Medic how is the healing at level 50 ? id like to know do some of are skills heal and damage or do we have just damage then healing skills i would like to heal once i get to 50 or before it but how do you roll when healing is you toolbars all healing or do you have a mix of skills ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

jeawan wrote: »
    Quite enjoying this game only started playing friday evening and really enjoying how it plays it is a bit of a learning curve but once you get into it it isnt too bad.

Anyone playing a Medic how is the healing at level 50 ? id like to know do some of are skills heal and damage or do we have just damage then healing skills i would like to heal once i get to 50 or before it but how do you roll when healing is you toolbars all healing or do you have a mix of skills ?

I'm very much enjoying Medic. You have lots of AoE abilites which is good for keeping up your DPS who aren't doing their job right and avoiding sh1t! :pac: Shield surge is a great spender and allows you to keep shields topped up as well as health and you have some very nice group buffs from probes. You are in around melee range so you will need to reposition and work with the tank a lot but you have lots of mobility so it's not a problem.

As a healer you really should be sticking with a full heal loadout, however some of the adventures are very easy to heal so you could hybrid if you want but with no assault power you aren't going to be doing much damage. Better off to leave the DPS do their job and focus on yours. In pvp hybrid specs work a lot better with the right gear.

Personally I use the "Scalpel! Forceps!" amp which gives you 3% support power every time you do damage and stacks 5 times. I run a shield surge build which does damage as well as the shield heal so I have a 15% bonus to support power up while contributing a small amount of damage but the damage is irrelevant being honest, I'm only running it for the support power buff!

• Advertisement

Cheers for that again still leveling so will play around a bit and learn the class more but enjoying it at the moment

ya was just trying a bit of mining there too for the first time. found a single node in half and hour and just as i started mining it, it disappeared right from under me.

prices of ores have plummeted on the CX too.

i'm struggling to find a single profession that can actually be reasonably profitable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

froog wrote: »
    ya was just trying a bit of mining there too for the first time. found a single node in half and hour and just as i started mining it, it disappeared right from under me.

prices of ores have plummeted on the CX too.

i'm struggling to find a single profession that can actually be reasonably profitable.

When I was mining on Eko I had zero problems but that was over a week ago.
    I made my first 10g for mount in a very quick time by selling all the ore on AH market thingy.

I've since created a Stalker on Hazzak for some WPVP action (only level 11 though) so no idea what it's like here and I doubt I will. I picked survival / architect for profession. No idea how profitable they might be as I literally logged out at the crafting stations with the first quests for it.
    I'll see over the next few days.

Hazzak queues seems fine now being that I only moved there the other day. I've not actually hit a queue once.

Stalker class is pretty fun too. Pretty high damage but somewhat squishy I've found. I probably need to tinker about with it a bit more if I want more survivability but right now I was just bursting from one mob to the next.

It doesnt seem to be an issue in zone with tier 1 & 2 nodes, but once you hit wildrun or any of those areas or higher. The little bastards a teleporting all over the place 1 hitting nodes and porting so fast you cant even get their name to report them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Big Knox wrote: »
    I'm very much enjoying Medic. You have lots of AoE abilites which is good for keeping up your DPS who aren't doing their job right and avoiding sh1t! :pac:
    You're not doing it right then; as a healer it's your job to educate the DPS what their job is. That means if they get hit by **** they don't get healed because they are morons. Once they died a few times they usually get the message but if not let them keep on dying (this goes back to before EQ1 days!).

My favourite of ensuring your DPS is awake though was back in EQ1 were Clerics had an ability called BDA (Bestow Divine Aura) which made someone invulnerable for 15s (which meant they could take no damage, deal no damage and was put last of the aggro list no matter what they did while under BDA). All raid bosses also tended to have a 10% enrage mode (at 10% they riposted on every attack done on them from the front arc for 10s). Now take your standard raid (about 50 odd people), you have your set of DPS (around 25 to 30, about 3/4s being melee ) and pop BDA on your main tank as the boss enrages and see which DPS is quick enough to realize that continue to hit the boss is a bad thing (best part was the tank never realizing he got BDA and screamed in chat how his taunt did not pull the aggro :p ). We won in the end; about half the DPS died and all clerics were laughing and trying to agree on who'd do the next boss that way (the main tank was a bit pissed at me though) :pac:.

So who's resubbing ?

I really want to but, the game is actually making me really Disoriented and dizzy im like lvl 41 love the game but feck me never had a game make me feel like that ever its worse in some areas than others.

So who's resubbing ?

I really want to but, the game is actually making me really Disoriented and dizzy im like lvl 41 love the game but feck me never had a game make me feel like that ever its worse in some areas than others.

Enjoy getting attuned to Raiding so. Stormtalon Vet can't wait to see you.

So who's resubbing ?

I'm not. I enjoyed the game, and it pulled me in enough to buy it and play it at launch. But over time, that pull has wained and wained to the point where I don't think I've been online in over a week.

Back to WoW for Warlord's of Dreanor methinks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive been away on hols so havent played in a while but i do intend to sub.
    Having said that the leveling is way too slow to the point that a lot of people are quitting for that reason before they sample the real meat of the game at lvl 50.
    Its a real shame and something carbine should have put more thought into, they were informed about this feeling from the very first beta and it stayed the same throughout all the beta builds.
    I just find it strange that the same devs that i found to be the best mmo devs at listening actually to its fanbase didnt listen about this issue.
    The dungeons are amazing and challenging,im sticking with it until i sample endgame at the very least.

• Advertisement

Lvl 36 now I think and I plan to sub for another month, after that I'll see

Advertisement