Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WildStar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Dcully wrote: »
    lol that sig, money talks more than anything mate.

It was advertsfox who made it, so I can't take any credit for it. But when a club generates money it sure as hell should spend it on quality... and I'm not talking about Southampton FC quality! :pac:

Shame about Wildstar though. The game wasn't tuned appropriately at launch, and although that worked for WoW, the market has grown and evolved since then. If you ain't polished at the start... bye bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

They probably did their best. For the prices games cost from the majority of sellers these days I've no sympathy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So everyone has given up on this :/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

In it's current state, even going F2P would not get me playing :(

Sadly I don't think I've played an MMO with such an un-enjoyable questing experience. Even the grouping with friends to do quests didn't improve things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I played this for the first month and really enjoyed it but couldnt afford to keep it going. Why has everyone given up on it? Was thinking of going back but if the servers are dead there isnt much point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

No idea, i enjoyed it a lot but it kept giving me headaces and stuff so i left it, and at the time it was over run with the worst bots i had ever seen. I heard people say updates since then just kept breaking things, could have some thing to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Really enjoyed it to be honest but just don't have time at the moment. Mining bots were pretty much gone when I quit a month ago. They are going to merge servers so there should still be a decent population. Might take it back up one day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Hey guys,

Thought I'd give an update here on how the game is doing now from a current player's perspective. Things have settled down a lot now and megaservers have come into place. Now there is a huge plus to this in that the PVE server for the EU is absolutely booming now, there are a load of choices for raiding guilds and people are organising large scale events. For example, yesterday I took part in an absolutely huge open world pvp event (yes on a PVE server). It was a ton of fun and you can see pictures of it on the wildstar reddit and forums. Also there are events on today for the extra life charity.

I'm really enjoying my time on wildstar now, the community has settled a good bit and bots are non existent so that the economy is far better. Drop 3 is also closing in, and I can honestly say that I've never seen so much information in patch notes for any game I've ever played (including wow).

However the bad thing that the megaservers brought is what happened to the pvp server. Carbine made the unfortunate decision to let only one way pvp>PVE transfers for just under a week after megaservers went live, two big guilds transferred and that caused everybody to panic and jump ship to the PVE server. However, funny enough I've done way more open world pvp on the PVE server than I ever did on any pvp server I was on in wildstar.

Still no point in going back to this, I'm assuming? Getting tired of WoW and looking for a fresh challenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I played this for the first month and really enjoyed it but couldnt afford to keep it going. Why has everyone given up on it? Was thinking of going back but if the servers are dead there isnt much point!

mostly fundamental design flaws - no real endgame, pvp was a big mess, questing was grindy and about 10 years out of date, even getting into raids required a huge amount of tedious grinding that games like wow got rid off years ago for good reason. all that compounded by the really ****ty attitude of the developers, which was basically "filthy casuals there is nothing for you here ha ha epic hard raids".

froog wrote: »
    mostly fundamental design flaws - no real endgame, pvp was a big mess, questing was grindy and about 10 years out of date, even getting into raids required a huge amount of tedious grinding that games like wow got rid off years ago for good reason. all that compounded by the really ****ty attitude of the developers, which was basically "filthy casuals there is nothing for you here ha ha epic hard raids".

Sounds like the developers are really out of touch. I know there's always a big "Vanilla WoW was best" thing but I dont think too many people would want to go back to that level of grinding again. Might look at it again once it goes F2P which I'm sure it will.

Sounds like the developers are really out of touch. I know there's always a big "Vanilla WoW was best" thing but I dont think too many people would want to go back to that level of grinding again. Might look at it again once it goes F2P which I'm sure it will.

Vanilla WoW tends to get a pass due to it being lightyears ahead of other games out around the same time like EQ 1 and 2. Even going by that standard, Wildstar would still be a bad game if it was released back then never mind in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I can't remember if I actually bought it or played beta, but I think I got suckered into FOTM syndrome with my mates and paid money for this.

Utterly atrocious attempt at an MMO. At some point studios will learn the first 30 days is CRITICAL for a new MMO, and they really need have a quality product in the domain to ensure people actually subscribe.

Wildstar was the MMO that broke the camels back. I'm just not interested in trying another MMO after so much fail and will be just sticking with WoW that I havn't left since Vanilla launch.

Although SWTOR looks like its got itself sorted a little, few friends are still knocking about their with good things to say about it. That was one of the biggest gaming disappointments I've ever had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

TheDoc wrote: »
    I can't remember if I actually bought it or played beta, but I think I got suckered into FOTM syndrome with my mates and paid money for this.

Utterly atrocious attempt at an MMO. At some point studios will learn the first 30 days is CRITICAL for a new MMO, and they really need have a quality product in the domain to ensure people actually subscribe.

Wildstar was the MMO that broke the camels back. I'm just not interested in trying another MMO after so much fail and will be just sticking with WoW that I havn't left since Vanilla launch.

Although SWTOR looks like its got itself sorted a little, few friends are still knocking about their with good things to say about it. That was one of the biggest gaming disappointments I've ever had

I'm willing to delve back into TESO once it goes B2P [like Guild Wars], I found the game itself rather enjoyable... just marred by the absolute plague of bots running circuits during it's early days.

Heck, might even give SWTOR a try again... I bought the big collector editions of both games after all... with the statues! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I'm willing to delve back into TESO once it goes B2P [like Guild Wars], I found the game itself rather enjoyable... just marred by the absolute plague of bots running circuits during it's early days.

Heck, might even give SWTOR a try again... I bought the big collector editions of both games after all... with the statues! :pac:

Same. Collectors edition for both. Problem for me is I find the swtor community are complete pains when it comes to grouping and rage quits.

Same. Collectors edition for both. Problem for me is I find the swtor community are complete pains when it comes to grouping and rage quits.

Only played SWTOR for a bit when it first launched, whats the levelling experience like?

Only played SWTOR for a bit when it first launched, whats the levelling experience like?

Very quickly until you reach PvP 50 then slows down substantially. PvP is okay , class stories can be interesting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really enjoyed the class stories. In fact it was about the only thing i did like. I almost resubbed before the last expansion, as you were able to level up pretty much entirely in the class story, rather than all the side quests (due to a massive XP boost).

• Advertisement

Bump!

Is this F2P yet? Wouldn't mind playing it during the summer with some friends, but the idea of paying-to-play is just a no-no.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Bump!

Is this F2P yet? Wouldn't mind playing it during the summer with some friends, but the idea of paying-to-play is just a no-no.

No F2P yet but this might interest you.
    Personally im gutted the game is more or less dead, the combat is light years ahead of anything else out there,it was a masive grind to even level up not to mention the attunements etc, real shame as it had/has huge potential.

I wouldnt mind giving it another go, I only got to about level 20 but quite enjoyed the zones. Reminded me a bit of BC-era WoW. Its a shame its flopped so badly.

Dcully wrote: »
    No F2P yet but this might interest you.
    Personally im gutted the game is more or less dead, the combat is light years ahead of anything else out there,it was a masive grind to even level up not to mention the attunements etc, real shame as it had/has huge potential.

Well... that's a shame. It's imploded on itself and now is trying to mimic everything else to stay afloat. Real shame.

Game had such promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It only had itself to blame, hardcore apparently was grind like an eastern MMO. Also rumors of the devs been OTT with customers.

They screwed up the launch massively. Lets only have 1 PvP server, and leave it like that for a few days. Let's allow massive queues to build up, forcing massive fragmentation of guilds. Lets make the grind so tough, that most people don't even get to experience the excellent (but tough) dungeons.

It's a shame, definitely, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

• Advertisement

yea they really did screw it up from launch, i remember them specifically letting youtubers jump the queue to get in so they could get their free pr while myself and everyone else were in crazy queue's so i would pop into the dev teams live stream and they would be acting like it was all fine and dandy, normally i expect this sort of queue for a mmo launch but the way they went on in the twitch stream really irked me the wrong way.

i enjoyed the combat but melee felt so floaty in pvp it was really a ranged game as melee it always felt like i was wondering around telegraphs while people ran around me. im sure it will go f2p which is a shame really i enjoyed it for what it was despite its flaws. was a fun game had a lot of bad decisions behind it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/wildstar-could-be-coming-to-steam-as-a-free-to-play-game/
    Cheerful MMO Wildstar could be coming to Steam, and could be free-to-play if it does. That's a lot of coulds for one news story, but that's because this information is being pulled from changes to the Steam database—as caught by SteamDB. It's unconfirmed, but certainly possible...

Wouldn't surprise me if it goes F2P, and i could be a very good thing for the game. I just hope if it's true they implement it well. A bad F2P model will kill a game just as quickly as a bad launch. The Wildstar devs can't afford both.

Really hope this does go F2P, I've been considering giving it another try lately. Its an awful shame that none of these new MMOs have properly taken off. WoW has gotten so stale over the past few expansions, looks like the MMO market is dying out badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You say that but everyone bought Warlords of Draenor. I returned after 5+ years away....I'm pretty sure I wasnt the only one.

• Advertisement

The MMO market isn't dying, it's probably stronger than ever. It's just fragmented, with people spread over a few dozen titles. No game will ever come close to Warcrafts dominance again.

Kiith wrote: »
    The MMO market isn't dying, it's probably stronger than ever. It's just fragmented, with people spread over a few dozen titles. No game will ever come close to Warcrafts dominance again.

Not following this current mould of MMO anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Funny, I asked one of the main developers when it launched, and he was very sure they'd never go free to play.

I replied "lol"

Not following this current mould of MMO anyway.

Sadly I reckon wildstar did well financially and easily covered its development costs. Just like with AoC, ESO, STO, SWTOR and The Secret World, which were not very good MMO's at launch, had subscriptions and cash shops, later went F2P and are still around today.

Hell, when you think about it, very few MMO's have actually ever shut down. SWG and Horizons are the only ones I can think of off hand!

And it's gone ftp!

Great! Looking forward to giving this a try again, now that I'm WoW-free!

Lone Stone wrote: »
    And it's gone ftp!

Unless they fixed the game play I won't be touching it again , more fun in gw2

It's supposed to be a lot better now. I'll probably give it a try again, but i'll wait and see what the store is like. Micro transactions can make or break a F2P game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Kiith wrote: »
    It's supposed to be a lot better now. I'll probably give it a try again, but i'll wait and see what the store is like. Micro transactions can make or break a F2P game.

Seems to be a decent model. I'm surprised they are making it completely F2P without needing to buy the game initially. That should definitely help inject some life back into it.

I've never been so conflicted about a game as Wildstar. It had so much right and so much so wrong. Will definitely give it a go when F2P goes live and am excited to get back to running dungeons again as they were excellent!

I'm interested in it as F2P. I feel a bit like the harbinger of death after reviving this thread months ago with the F2P question in mind.

• Advertisement

I'm interested in it as F2P. I feel a bit like the harbinger of death after reviving this thread months ago with the F2P question in mind.

Ha!

Every time you post, a game dies.

The writing was on the wall I think educated opinion could have seen this coming . Hopefully they will do some proper development to the game I heard they went through a **** time after loads left the game in terms of updates ect

The games makes dizzy as **** so I won't try it again but it if it didn't I would I enjoyed it but pvp and dungeons were not great

The games makes dizzy as **** so I won't try it again but it if it didn't I would I enjoyed it but pvp and dungeons were not great

Lol what ?

i think its the color's and the pov in the game gives me like vertigo or some thing :confused:

i think its the color's and the pov in the game gives me like vertigo or some thing :confused:

That is crazy lol.

And yet you stuck with it to see the dungeons and pvp? Thats dedication right there :cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

This is now on a humblebundle for anyone looking to pick it up on the cheap...pay any amount you want...great deal.

https://www.humblebundle.com/twitche3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Playing the free trial now for a week. Seems decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So the game is gone F2P yesterday and im keen to play my toons again but the download links dont seem to be working for me.
    I suspect a dns issue with eircom maybe?

Any else having issues?

http://wildstar.patcher.ncsoft.com/Wildstar.exe

Advertisement