Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barnes and Noble leatherbound classics

Options
  • 11-04-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Anybody have these in their collection? I love the leather covers and the art work and it would encourage me to read the classics ;)

9780760703328_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG9781435122963_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG9781435136168_p0_v12_s260x420.JPG9781435124998_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG9781435129733_p0_v2_s260x420.JPGIliadMap.jpg

What do you think?

The entire collection can be seen here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I have the Dracula one. I think it cost 20 euro from chapters in Dublin. It's a beautiful book, the edges of the pages are black too so it looks quite sinister. They have a decent range of them in chapters, they are quite expensive though. So a luxury!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Good prices here

I'll be in town tomorrow so I will check out Chapters first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have The Count of Monte Cristo. Tis ever so nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have the Shakespeare and Austen collections
    They're not really "curl up and read the classics", I only got them as I have read all of Austen and a good chunk of Shakespeare before and wanted them for collection...
    Forgot to mention I absolutely love them :)

bluewolf wrote: »
    They're not really "curl up and read the classics", I only got them as I have read all of Austen and a good chunk of Shakespeare before and wanted them for collection...

So, they are decorations more so than reading material? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Some of the collections are pretty big so I wouldn't imagine you'd be inclined to read them. Maybe I'm wrong. Dracula is a small enough book though, definitely readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well, my collections are. I mean, I've sat down and read some of the shakespeare again and it was wonderful, but for actual getting comfy and reading, a big tome isn't the best

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭slave2thewage

I've got the Poe and Lovecraft collections. That edition of Frankenstein looks gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Thanks for bringing these to my attention, I have Dracula on my to read list currently. I bought the penguin classics edition in Easons for €2.75, but it has that god awful picture of the Count on the front and its really putting me off picking it up!
    Reading through a best of Lovecraft book at ther moment as well, first time reading his stuff, that edition there looks amazing. Where was this thread last week!? :D

Well, my collections are. I mean, I've sat down and read some of the shakespeare again and it was wonderful, but for actual getting comfy and reading, a big tome isn't the best

I collect hardcover and leatherbound copies of the classics because I love to look at them, but I read them on the kindle!

• Advertisement

I got the following delivered recently:
    1. H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction
    2. Charles Dickens: Five Novels
    3. Frankenstein
    4. Dracula

They all look magnificent and I kind of don't want to start reading them for fear of spoiling them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I got the copy of Homer for Christmas, read it before and still have a flea bitten paperback copy around somewhere so it'll just be eye candy on the bookshelf really.
    Really is pretty though. I'll be keeping an eye out for more at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

My Shakespeare collection is made up of the individual Arden books. However, I was wondering what the complete works is like to read? Any of them I have seen look uncomfortable to read, large book small print?

Is it readable?

I like being able to carry which play I'm reading around with me; which I don't think would an option here.

Advertisement