If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch and record Freeview and Saorview with Samsung F7000 TV PVR?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    I have a few questions about the new Samsung F7000 (UE40F7000STXXU). I live in Dublin at sea level about 300m from the coast so I am fairly certain that with two separate aerials (1 for Saorview + 1 for Freeview) I can receive the Freeview signal from Wales. With such a setup,
    1. Is possible to watch and record any combination of Freeview and Saorview programmes using the two built in T2 tuners/PVR and an external HDD
    e.g. watch RTE1 while recording RTE2 or watch RTE1 while recording BBC1
    2. Is it possible to record two programmes from different UK muxes at the same time while watching another programme on any other mux UK or Irish?
    3. Is it possible to include all the Saorview channels onto the Freeview EPG
    4. Is it possible to include all the recorded programmes UK and Irish onto the one on-screen menu?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

rleahy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a few questions about the new Samsung F7000 (UE40F7000STXXU). I live in Dublin at sea level about 300m from the coast so I am fairly certain that with two separate aerials (1 for Saorview + 1 for Freeview) I can receive the Freeview signal from Wales. With such a setup,
    1. Is possible to watch and record any combination of Freeview and Saorview programmes using the two built in T2 tuners/PVR and an external HDD
    2. Is it possible to record two programmes from different UK muxes at the same time while watching another programme on any other mux UK or Irish?
    4. Is it possible to include all the recorded programmes UK and Irish onto the one on-screen menu?
    Hi Rleahy.

With the tuner on the F7000 you could not record a second station while watching another.
    The F7000 only has one tuner on board that picks up both Saorview and Freeview, which only allows you to record one or the other.

It does display both Freeview and Saorview on the same EPG but puts saorview in the 800's

You have mentioned above two built in T2 tuners/PVR in what is this in relation too? The F7000 does have a second tuner but it is a Freesat one which runs from a satellite dish rather than an aerial.

I think for what you are looking to do the best option would be the Humax FOX T2 PVR which will record two stations at once and can receive both Saorview and Freeview. Currently for the 1TB priced at £239.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hdr-foxt2-1tb/huma-fox-t2-hdr-1tb

The USB recording feature on Televisions is designed to record the image on the screen and does not have the functionality for the requirement you need.

Hope this helps a little! Any further questions please ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rleahy

Hi Rleahy.

With the tuner on the F7000 you could not record a second station while watching another.
    The F7000 only has one tuner on board that picks up both Saorview and Freeview, which only allows you to record one or the other.

It does display both Freeview and Saorview on the same EPG but puts saorview in the 800's

You have mentioned above two built in T2 tuners/PVR in what is this in relation too? The F7000 does have a second tuner but it is a Freesat one which runs from a satellite dish rather than an aerial.

I think for what you are looking to do the best option would be the Humax FOX T2 PVR which will record two stations at once and can receive both Saorview and Freeview. Currently for the 1TB priced at £239.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hdr-foxt2-1tb/huma-fox-t2-hdr-1tb

The USB recording feature on Televisions is designed to record the image on the screen and does not have the functionality for the requirement you need.

Hope this helps a little! Any further questions please ask.
    Hi Kenny, according to the Samsung UK website (link below) the new F7000 comes with "[font=Arial, sans-serif]2 x DVB-T2 / C / S2 DTV Tuner" which would seem to indicate it can be purchased with two T2 tuners rather than the T2 and S2 that the 2012 ES models come with?[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UE40F7000STXXU-spec[/font]

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi,

Hi Rleahy,

Done a bit of digging and got some answers for you :)

The two tuners allow you to watch any two Freeview/Saorview or Freesat channels.  You can either watch the two channels via picture on picture or watch one and record the other onto a hard drive etc.

I don't fully understand your next question.  The TV only has twin tuners so if you were recording two programs you could watch one of them.  If you wanted to watch another channel then you would need to cancel one of the recordings.  Think that's what you're getting at..

Samsung should have no problem displaying the Saorview channels on the EPG for you.

There also shouldn't be a problem showing both the UK and Irish recorded content on the screen.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hi Rleahy,

Done a bit of digging and got some answers for you

The two tuners allow you to watch any two Freeview/Saorview or Freesat channels.  You can either watch the two channels via picture on picture or watch one and record the other onto a hard drive etc.

I don't fully understand your next question.  The TV only has twin tuners so if you were recording two programs you could watch one of them.  If you wanted to watch another channel then you would need to cancel one of the recordings.  Think that's what you're getting at..

Samsung should have no problem displaying the Saorview channels on the EPG for you.

There also shouldn't be a problem showing both the UK and Irish recorded content on the screen.

Hope this helps.

Chris
    Hi Chris thanks for detail, I have actually gone off the idea of going with twin Terrestrial tuners as I have discovered that I cannot get BBCNI or UTV from the Welsh terrestrial signal (not interested in Welsh content besides I prefer the Northern Accent:-)

Returning my original question if I get a standard F7000 setup with 1*SAT and 1*Terrestrial tuner can you confirm that the only way to watch RTE1 while recording RTE2 or watch RTE1 while recording BBC1, is by attaching a a combi box like the Ferguson Aviva 250?

If I attach such a box to use for watching TV while recording from the TV PVR will I be able to schedule (and play back) all Sat and terrestrial recordings from a single screen/epg? Note: my preference is to record from the TV rater than the combi box because switching between the SAT and TERR tuners while watching requires a ridiculous sequence of button presses whereas the combi box can present all the channels on a single EPG.

Hi Chris thanks for detail, I have actually gone off the idea of going with twin Terrestrial tuners as I have discovered that I cannot get BBCNI or UTV from the Welsh terrestrial signal (not interested in Welsh content besides I prefer the Northern Accent:-)

Returning my original question if I get a standard F7000 setup with 1*SAT and 1*Terrestrial tuner can you confirm that the only way to watch RTE1 while recording RTE2 or watch RTE1 while recording BBC1, is by attaching a a combi box like the Ferguson Aviva 250?

If I attach such a box to use for watching TV while recording from the TV PVR will I be able to schedule (and play back) all Sat and terrestrial recordings from a single screen/epg? Note: my preference is to record from the TV rater than the combi box because switching between the SAT and TERR tuners while watching requires a ridiculous sequence of button presses whereas the combi box can present all the channels on a single EPG.
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

?
    Apologies for the delay,

to try to answer your query:

1. You will only be able to watch or record one Saorview station at a time - hence as the RTEs are not available on Freesat - you will have to attach some external device to allow you to access a second simultaneous RTE feed.

Unfortunately on your second query - we don't retail the Ferguson Combi box - however I think it's unlikely that you will be able to view and schedule Samsung Recordings using the Ferguson EPG - but I could be mistaken - if you wanted to ask the query over on the satellite forum I'm sure some of the experts over there caould give you more considered advice based on actual experience with the Fergi box.

Apologies that I can't be more helpful on this,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.