Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level maths or ordinary?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I really want to do teaching after I leave school. I'm doing the junior cert this year and I think I'll fail it because I find the exam questions impossible and also project maths is hard. I failed my mocks. What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Keep practing or if you have the cash, do grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

I really want to do teaching after I leave school. I'm doing the junior cert this year and I think I'll fail it because I find the exam questions impossible and also project maths is hard. I failed my mocks. What should I do?

You don't need higher level maths to be a teacher. Play to your strengths. Study hard and do the best you can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TheBody wrote: »
    You don't need higher level maths to be a teacher. Play to your strengths. Study hard and do the best you can.

If it's primary teaching, make sure your Maths is as high a level as you can. You will be responsible for the Maths levels of up to thirty children each year in your class, it's not really fair on them for you to go in without a good level yourself.

If it's secondary teaching in a non-Maths/Science area, it's not such an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

spurious wrote: »
    If it's primary teaching, make sure your Maths is as high a level as you can. You will be responsible for the Maths levels of up to thirty children each year in your class, it's not really fair on them for you to go in without a good level yourself.

If it's secondary teaching in a non-Maths/Science area, it's not such an issue.

Good point. I had secondary chool teaching in my head when I made that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I heard somewhere that Higher Level Maths and Higher Level English were being made a requirement for Primary teaching, just like Irish.]
    I'm pretty sure I heard this a year ago or so, so it's probably never going to happen at this stage.

OP, I was really struggling in maths last year. Failing a few tests and never really getting anything above the 50%. But I kept working at it, all you have to do is view maths in a way you understand it. Break it up in sections. Don't think of yourself studying Maths. Think of it as learning Trigonometry or Algebra or whatever, and learn that topic inside-out! Do as many exam questions as possible and try as many different ways to revise as you can. I tried everything last year, Powerpoints, Mind-maps, index cards, the lot! Eventually I found my way of doing things right and started to improve greatly! This year I've been getting all As and Bs and it's been a huge change! I got 70% in my pre-examinations! I was thrilled! A little extra work and I feel I could get the A. Keep working OP, it'll be worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

If you've an Android phone / tab try this ...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.iBs.freejc2013

Aimed at Pass and Honours. It may help with some topics - 21 quizzes in
    all if you use Facebook. Free !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RandomPerson_

That app looks great but its incompatable with my phone.. Thanks for all the advice, I think I might stick with Higher maths :)

Advertisement