Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural robberies

Options
  • 11-04-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    Every other week in our area (cuffesgrange) a number of houses have been broken into. An attempt has been made to jimmy the back window of our house which we only noticed when cleaning the window. I have heard of a text alert scheme which is in operation in the dunamaggin area. Is anyone aware of any other schemes in operation around kilkenny?

Has anyone any other practical advice on protecting one's property from such a scourge? Are cameras a good idea? Any advice on CCTV? Reputable Suppliers? Etc
    Many of the houses hit are very close to one another. It's like the try everywhere on one particular road and then move to another road next time.

Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

A shotgun and a big dog is a good deterrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Scatter used shotgun shells around the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 radioshuk

Hi All,

The shotgun shells are a good idea there
    I was robbed in and the effers got away with a right few tools :-( so i've stepped up security and will use that little trick

In a 10 min window they had been and gone so they don't hang around
    never get them back

fool me once shame on me fool me twice "not likely"

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Get in touch with the Gardai or Muintir na Tire to help set up a Community Text Alert group
    From Garda website: "To set up a group in your area, contact your local Garda Station or your local the Muintir na Tíre Community Alert Development Officer (Tel: 062-51163 ). The group may be set up in response to community demand or as a result of Garda contact. It is important to canvass local residents with a view to securing their support and involvement before introducing a group in the area."

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Just to raise spirits, in my home village in Wicklow a few local lads spotted something wrong about a car parked at a house. This lead to a car chase with the local lads ramming the offending car and a 3 mile chase across fields and scrub land on foot. The end result was 4 people captured (suspected of a year long list of raide in the South-East) Well done to the local lads for keeping their eyes open and showing these type of scum that they are not always free to run riot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 radioshuk

i'm from donegal and up there we had last year a house breakin every night for about 4 months (still a few going on but less frequent)
    pick shaft handles sold out in near all merchants lol
    Fair play to those lads thats exactly the kind of thing needs to be done a rap on the knuckles from the guards or broken legs i'm for the latter

Advertisement