Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp price question

Options
  • 11-04-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I have just heard that stamps have gone up to 60 cent. I posted a few important letters with 55 cent stamps I bought about 3 weeks ago, will they be returned to my return address or is there an transition period?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't know the answer to that but earlier this week I had to queue for about 20 minutes to buy a 5c stamp to add to the 55c one I had in my wallet. I thought every post office had one of those little machines selling stamps these days?

In your case I'd say they will get there but it just might take a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

A friend of mine posted Wedding Invitations on the very first day of the price increase, she didnt know they were gone up, just now she is beginning to notice some of them were not delivered at all. So she is in a right mess!!! Are they still in the sorting office or what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

hillbloom wrote: »
    A friend of mine posted Wedding Invitations on the very first day of the price increase, she didnt know they were gone up, just now she is beginning to notice some of them were not delivered at all. So she is in a right mess!!! Are they still in the sorting office or what happens.

Why not just phone the sorting office and ask? They'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There's a four week period...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I went to the GPO a few weeks ago to buy 20 5c stamps (I found a book of 55c stamps I thought I'd lost) and the teller wouldn't sell me them "because I might sell them on ebay" - WTF? I have to go to a post office each time I want to buy a 5c stamp to post a few letters. Ars3 to that. Next time I'm in there I'll try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I bought 800 of those 5c stamps on anpost.ie while back so there should be no restrictions!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Prices rising again from 60c to 68c
    and international from 90c to €1.00
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/About+An+Post/Media+Centre/Press+Releases/2014/Rates+2014.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Seriously? So damn greedy. Not happy about this!

Hardly greed. An Post made an operating loss of €11.4m last year.
    It was either raise stamp prices or make cuts to services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

maki wrote: »
    Hardly greed. An Post made an operating loss of €11.4m last year.
    It was either raise stamp prices or make cuts to services.

They offer a pretty sh!te service as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Seriously? So damn greedy. Not happy about this!

why?

68c to collect from your local post box and deliver to any address in the country the following day. (94% next day delivery). Quite excellent vlaue.

In UK royal mail charge equivalent of 76c for the same service. Surely they'd have economies of scale with 63m people v 4.6m people in Ireland and their success level is just 91%.

In France, the same service is €1.10!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

delahuntv wrote: »
    why?

68c to collect from your local post box and deliver to any address in the country the following day. (94% next day delivery). Quite excellent vlaue.

In UK royal mail charge equivalent of 76c for the same service. Surely they'd have economies of scale with 63m people v 4.6m people in Ireland and their success level is just 91%.

So you are quite happy with the price rises? If it rises again (it will) , will you still be happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

So you are quite happy with the price rises? If it rises again (it will) , will you still be happy?

If the service is given and I need to send a letter from A to B, then yes. However I rarely have to send letters these days, but knowing that the service is there should I need it, then yes, I don't have a real issue with price once its within reasonable parameters.

Once its under €1 and they keep the 100g limit (France is 50g) I wouldn't have an issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

delahuntv wrote: »
    why?

I'd find that very hard to believe. Letters I post, or that are posted to me rarely arrive next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

whiterebel wrote: »
    I'd find that very hard to believe. Letters I post, or that are posted to me rarely arrive next day.

I post a lot and it's always next day. Are you sure you're posting before the collection time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I live in a very rural area and most of my post within Ireland is received the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

I needed to post 3 birthday cards to same address in uk, teller in anpost gave me a large white enevelope, put all cards in together, and they charge €1 for worldwide delivery - arrived 2 days later - I'm very impressed!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kc90 wrote: »
    I post a lot and it's always next day. Are you sure you're posting before the collection time?

No, I usually go at 9pm and hope for the best.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you can convince a post office to sell them to you, N-rate stamps will be 60c til the change date but will still be valid afterwards. They have a habit of acting like they don't exist when it comes to price change time but they are still issued. Basically these are the equivalent of UK 1st and don't expire when the price rises. Only worth the hassle if you know you're going to post a LOT of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

No, I usually go at 9pm and hope for the best.....:rolleyes:

That'd be the problem. Latest collection is 5.30pm for most places. It could be as early as midday for a postbox in a rural area.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    If you can convince a post office to sell them to you, N-rate stamps will be 60c til the change date but will still be valid afterwards. They have a habit of acting like they don't exist when it comes to price change time but they are still issued. Basically these are the equivalent of UK 1st and don't expire when the price rises. Only worth the hassle if you know you're going to post a LOT of items.
    I've never seen these. Do they come in a roll of 100 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

snubbleste wrote: »
    I've never seen these. Do they come in a roll of 100 or something?

I think you can get them singly, you can order them in any number from 9 upwards from http://www.irishstamps.ie/shop/p-1269-n-rate-stamp.aspx it seems.

They really aren't commonly used at all but they're directly equivalent to the national rate at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

MYOB wrote: »
    I think you can get them singly, you can order them in any number from 9 upwards from http://www.irishstamps.ie/shop/p-1269-n-rate-stamp.aspx it seems.

They really aren't commonly used at all but they're directly equivalent to the national rate at any given time.

8 cent price increase is absolutely obscene. I will be converting any of my remaining clients who choose postal delivery of accounts to email now.

Another 2c added.
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/About+An+Post/Media+Centre/Press+Releases/2015/Rates+2015.htm
    The standard domestic letter will now cost 70c to post from 1 July
    international letters up to 100g will now cost €1.05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

10c added to most large envelope/small package rates too.

Advertisement