Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog grooming gone wrong

• 11-04-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

As a lot of ye will know I have an 11 month old yorkie now I will admit he was a bit matted but I asked for a puppy cut and a groomer just shaved him head to toe

What would you do?

Il post oics in a few minutes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

If he's matted then a shave is probably the best thing for him. It wont be long until it grows back - at that stage you can groom away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nothing. If the dog was very matted, then the kindest thing would be to just get the clippers and strip him out. A lot of people who have long haired dogs don't realise this is the reason why the groomer appears to be 'clip happy'! To try to de-mat the dog would be painful and cruel.

As newbie2 says, it won't take long for his coat to grow back. As it grows, get a decent slicker and a terrier brush. You should aim to brush the dog out at least every other day. It'll distribute the oils in the coat, get rid of loose hair, and keep the mats down.

Result? A happier, less stressed dog and happier groomer!

Shaving is the only way for mats, they did the right thing. Think about it as starting afresh. This way you can prevent the mats by brushing him etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Might explain why I'm upset

Do you want me to be honest? It's not crime of the century, but the dog DOES look pretty matted in the first photo. I can see that the beard and the chest area don't look too good. If you ask me, the groomer did a good job tidying him up. His fur will grow back nicely and he'll look and feel a lot better.

How often was the dog brushed before you took him in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

We used to keep our Yorkies hair much like in the 2nd photo, because it was so hard to keep her from getting matted- she was a proper country dog and was always getting into hedges and what have you. I quite like the look of the 2nd photo, and as other posters have said if the dogs hair was matted, the only way to go was shaving. You need to groom yorkies a lot, at least every 2nd day if you want to keep their hair any way long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What would a puppy cut be? i.e., what were you expecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

A puppy cut is like a tight clip, common with Bichons and other small dogs. Will see if google throws up an image.

Can't find any decent images, but this link gives the best description I can find

http://www.superpages.com/supertips/what-is-a-puppy-cut.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Might explain why I'm upset

Its hard to see in the first pic what she was like before. But, i genuinely dont see what the problem is with the second one. I love seeing a spring/summer groomed dog.:D As long as its done well,with a specific cut related to the breed coat, then she looks fab to me.

I clip my Shih Tzu right down in the summer, using a No.5 on the body. I still find mats even though he's brushed daily (trust me to have a furball! :D). He looks great, and is much happier with a nice short coat.

Winter time, I use a 3.75 blade. Still keeps him nice and tidy, even though I have to clip monthly, but the coat's left to grow a little longer. I keep mine in a puppy clip for the winter, and a teddy bear for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I clip my Shih Tzu right down in the summer, using a No.5 on the body. I still find mats even though he's brushed daily (trust me to have a furball! :D). He looks great, and is much happier with a nice short coat.

Winter time, I use a 3.75 blade. Still keeps him nice and tidy, even though I have to clip monthly, but the coat's left to grow a little longer. I keep mine in a puppy clip for the winter, and a teddy bear for the summer.

I have no idea what this is but it sounds ADORABLE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

OP, I see nothing wrong in the 'after' photo. Our princess (JR x) would look like Cousin It from The Addams Family, if we didn't have her groomed regularly.
    She looks pretty much like your fur baby (in pic. 2) after she's been groomed.
    She loves her beauty parlour sessions, and it's obvious that she feels so much better when she's had a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Another issue with matting is that sores and rashes can develop underneath because even they cannot get under to clean themselves. One of my fellas can get quite bad under his front legs (his armpits) between grooming visits if I’m not careful. But, he hates being combed and I hate using scissors near such a wriggler so there’s an incentive to keep on top of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I think the second picture looks great. Apart from the matting issue, it can be a refreshing change for you and the dog for a while. My bichon has got it done a few times. Makes washing her do much easier as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Its a good job imo, and the dog will feel the better for it..which is the main thing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

While I agree a dog with mats might need areas of coat cut off, many groomers are not qualified and don't know how to do anything else other then shave a dog.

I was asked during the week if a Border Terriers coat was stripped too short by a novice owner after it had been left into a groomers. The bloody groomer had shaved off the dogs lovely coat. Disgraceful to do that to a hand stripped breed and very lazy. I see it all the time. It will take a long long time for that dogs coat to recover.

I would advise anyone bringing their dog to a groomer to get their request in writing.

I groom all my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Other than being fractionally shorter, which was probably because of the mats, that looks like a pretty standard puppy cut.

I have no idea what this is but it sounds ADORABLE!

I'm not very good at explaining, but a 'teddy bear' cut is where the dog's head ,beard and back is kept longish. The body is cut shorter, and the legs are scissored rather than clipped. I'll try to find a pic of a teddy bear cut for you. And yes, my boy does look nice with one!
    Knine wrote: »
    While I agree a dog with mats might need areas of coat cut off, many groomers are not qualified and don't know how to do anything else other then shave a dog.

I was asked during the week if a Border Terriers coat was stripped too short by a novice owner after it had been left into a groomers. The bloody groomer had shaved off the dogs lovely coat. Disgraceful to do that to a hand stripped breed and very lazy. I see it all the time. It will take a long long time for that dogs coat to recover.

I would advise anyone bringing their dog to a groomer to get their request in writing.

I groom all my own.

This is true. But, looking at the second picture, the standard of the cut is very good IMO. Looks like a proper job has been done.

I don't want to be harsh, but if the OP was unhappy with what has been done, then the first course of action would be to speak to the groomer to find out what has been done and why. I suspect (and the OP even admits) the dog was too matted to be brushed out and that's why he was stripped out. I'm surprised the groomer did not tell her that.

Now that the dog's been stripped out, the coat will be far easier to maintain. If the OP wants the dog kept long, then she should aim to brush him at least every other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

my westies usually get the teddy bear cut, but their last groom they were practically shaved - thats after the winter and they were a bit matted from wet weather etc.

they love being shaved - you can tell they feel really comfortable and are so much happier. I just get the groomer to leave a bit of a beard on their faces so they look like themselves.

I do brush them regularly but some matts are unavoidable (given that my two love jumping in rivers and running through the woods) and I'd rather they were shaved rather then having the matts pulled and causing them pain.

Dont be too annoyed op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I had Yorkies for years, one still lives with my mother. The first few "Puppy Cuts" are like this. They have a downy like puppy coat that is very easily matted no matter how much you groom them, one walk outdoors, bam, matts galore! A close shave to get rid of the black puppy fur and show up the sleeker silver that is more associated with the adult coat is recommended for the dogs comfort. It is a shock when you return from the groomers the first time. Your little fuzz ball is now more terrier looking and it is a lot to get used to, but that is the pet Yorkie look. Show Yorkies are obviously different.

Start grooming the adult fur every second day to ensure minimal matts and remember their little under arms are a terrible area of sore matts!!!! It is also a great bonding experience. My two loved it! They got excited at the brush. It also means that come the next groom, you can request a longer cut too as opposed to a close shave if their fur is not matted.

• Advertisement

Ha! I wish mine loved the brush. I've solved the problem though. He has to be bribed with treats now. He'll sit quietly whilst I brush him, take out the mats, clean his teeth and beard. Then he trots out to the kitchen after me and looks at the table where I keep his treats...

And they say Shih Tzu are stupid? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Ha! I wish mine loved the brush. I've solved the problem though. He has to be bribed with treats now. He'll sit quietly whilst I brush him, take out the mats, clean his teeth and beard. Then he trots out to the kitchen after me and looks at the table where I keep his treats...

That was the way I did it with mine too. They hated the brushes at the beginning. Baring teeth and nipping at them, but positive reinforcement is a great thing! And Shih-Tzu's are not stupid, they are well able to figure out how to get what they want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Not stupid, but stubborn, I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As someone who has done grooming OP I think you are being a little hard on the groomer, we used to get some rediculous requests, for instance to brush out a shih tzu that was one big mat, the owner didn't want him clipped at all, it would a literally taken a couple of days to do this and it would be unbelievably cruel, so we rang the owner and clipped him. I have also found severe cuts and skin complaints underneath mats.

Some owners expect groomers to wave a magic wand and fix it but sometimes it just isn't fee sinks or fair to the dog, especially when the only time they see a brush is when they go to the groomers every 6 months to a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

If it's the first time you got him groomed it can be a bit of a shock because they can look so different but if he was matted it's the best thing for him.

I can't wait to have my one done like that and I'll be doing it a few times betweeen now and September to keep him trim :) Just waiting for it to get a little milder. He's a long haired chihuahua and I clip him right back - the difference being that he just looks like a short haired chi and not one that has been obviously clipped. I can barely get his collar around his neck at this stage with the mane on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I think the dog looks gorgeous post groom! Totally adorable. I would be delighted if I arrived to collect my dog and he appeared like that, so cute!

Op, you're completely over-reacting. The groomer did what was required, you just need to make sure you look after your dog better so he's not matted in the future...

kylith wrote: »
    Not stupid, but stubborn, I'd say!

Oh yes! His Highness hears what he wants to hear, and does what he wants (well he tries to anyway)!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

My Yorkie had to be shaved like that on her first groom because their hair is so fine and it matts easily. Also not washing shampoo out of their hair properly causes matting. The groomer was dead right and it's like a fresh start for their hair. You have to brush them daily to stop it from matting so I think he/she did you a favour by cutting it like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

If it makes you feel any better I had to have the same done to my maltese. He was getting very matted so the groomer shaved him right down. It took about 3 months to grow to a length where he looked normal but he didn't seem to mind! Here's a before and after shot :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement