Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog grooming gone wrong

2»

Comments

Lima Golf wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better I had to have the same done to my maltese. He was getting very matted so the groomer shaved him right down. It took about 3 months to grow to a length where he looked normal but he didn't seem to mind! Here's a before and after shot :D

Absolutely adorable! My girlfriend wants a maltese (female!) to go alongside our American Akita! I'm not sure how that one is going to pan out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

If it makes you feel any better I had to have the same done to my maltese. He was getting very matted so the groomer shaved him right down. It took about 3 months to grow to a length where he looked normal but he didn't seem to mind! Here's a before and after shot :D

SO CUTE!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP I see what you mean.

How much is a ( your ) groom - e60?

For that kind of money I would be expecting a brush out & time & effort spent on it - not a shave to save time for the groomer .

I would also be expecting the groomer to call me if there was a problem - like they couldn't get through the knots - and to ask before they just did a dog-shave.

However it may be that the dogs coat was too matted to get through it.

I'd certainly be bringing an image if what I did & didn't want in future to other groomers.

: (

Let's hope it grows back quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

For that kind of money I would be expecting a brush out & time & effort spent on it - not a shave to save time for the groomer .

It's not about saving time! It's about saving the poor dog from sitting on a table for hours having knots pulled from it's body!

No decent groomer who cares about animal welfare will do this. If an owner let's a dog get matted to stage where it needs to be shaved then they don't reallt care about the dog's coat so why spend hours torturing the dog when it will only end up the same way in 6 weeks time?

It's much kinder to just shave so they have clean slate to work with. Then at least the owner can be persuaded to brush the dog regularly and take care of it's coat properly.

On a side note I really don't know why people get these types of long haired dog's if they're not going to be bothered brushing it regularly to keep it matt free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Couldn't agree more Irishchick. When I was learning to groom, it always amazed me how some owners of long-haired breeds expect their animals to look a certain way, but are too lazy or ignorant to put in the work. It only takes 10 mins tops, every other day to keep the mats down. But they won't even do that. Then they hit the roof when the groomer has to reach for the clippers...

Just a Thought - Did you look at the photos of the OP's dog, especially the first one? Did you notice the dog was very matted? And did you know the dog's only 11 months? If the groomer 'spent time brushing out the mats 'as you expect', the poor animal would be traumatised and terrified to go to the groomer as it would be too painful for his baby skin to get the mats out. A knotbreaker would need to be used. I suspect THAT is the reason why the clippers were used.

When I say this, I am NOT having a go at the OP. I wanted to make that clear. The lady might be feeling a bit persecuted though as I notice she's not been back to this thread, I do hope not though as we've given our opinions and tried to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Irishchick wrote: »
    On a side note I really don't know why people get these types of long haired dog's if they're not going to be bothered brushing it regularly to keep it matt free.

I have to disagree a little with this. I brush my maltese every day. He's well used to it and sits still for me because he knows he'll get something nice when I'm done :) but even at that there is still the occasional matting incident. He's got a cottony type coat, not silky and it knots easily. He's an active dog and is taken walking every day in the park, which he loves but gets mud, leaves and twigs caught in his hair quite often (my other half calls him Velcro dog as everything sticks to him :D ) so I believe unless you keep them indoors all the time and well brushed it's pretty much impossible to keep long haired dogs mat free. I have had to have him shaved once so far because of matting and despite my best efforts brushing with good quality brushes and dematters, I don't think it will be the last.

I agree with Lima Golf too. My dog has a thick double coat, which mats very easily especially behind his ears. This is despite being brushed every other day, and keeping his coat relatively short. He too gets dirty and matted as he loves four mile walkies going into every kind of crap known to man. Everything sticks to him as he's low to the ground, being a small dog. He was bathed yesterday, and you'd swear I was killing him!

And yes. He has to be bribed with treats for me to groom him. Dog's not silly. He thinks because he's done his part, I should do mine. Get his treats. NOW!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I have to disagree a little with this. I brush my maltese every day. He's well used to it and sits still for me because he knows he'll get something nice when I'm done :) but even at that there is still the occasional matting incident. He's got a cottony type coat, not silky and it knots easily. He's an active dog and is taken walking every day in the park, which he loves but gets mud, leaves and twigs caught in his hair quite often (my other half calls him Velcro dog as everything sticks to him :D ) so I believe unless you keep them indoors all the time and well brushed it's pretty much impossible to keep long haired dogs mat free. I have had to have him shaved once so far because of matting and despite my best efforts brushing with good quality brushes and dematters, I don't think it will be the last.

I agree entirely with this post - I have 3 dogs that get matted, 2 bichons and a crossbreed, because I give them the freedom of the garden to play. I brush them regularly but sometimes have to give them a shave because they roll in the grass and sometimes in the mud.

As for someones previous post regarding giving opinions on this forum, I feel there is a right and wrong way. Being polite does not hurt anyone but some people just seem to think berating people is the way to go. Maybe this is the reason the OP and many others do not return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

even at that there is still the occasional matting incident..

Then you are not brushing him correctly. These dog's need to line groomed every other day with groomer quality brushes.

The next time you go to the groomer ask him/her to show you how to line groom your dog.

If you do this over the dog's entire body then it will not become matted. simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Irishchick wrote: »
    Then you are not brushing him correctly. These dog's need to line groomed every other day with groomer quality brushes.

The next time you go to the groomer ask him/her to show you how to line groom your dog.

If you do this over the dog's entire body then it will not become matted. simple as that.

I agree with Irishchick. I have lots of friends with dogs with show standard coats. I can assure you these dogs live very full lives when not being shown. Some breeders do wrap up coats but that is more to prevent coat breaking then matting.

I would not get a coated breed and then shave it unless it was elderly or for medical reasons. If I was not into daily grooming I would get a short coated breed. If groomed properly the coat should not mat. Of course there will be a lot of dogs sold on various websites who don't resemble the breed they are supposed to be and therefore will bemuch harder to groom as their coat may not be the correct texture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Knine wrote: »
    I agree with Irishchick. I have lots of friends with dogs with show standard coats. I can assure you these dogs live very full lives when not being shown. Some breeders do wrap up coats but that is more to prevent coat breaking then matting.

I would not get a coated breed and then shave it unless it was elderly or for medical reasons. If I was not into daily grooming I would get a short coated breed. If groomed properly the coat should not mat. Of course there will be a lot of dogs sold on various websites who don't resemble the breed they are supposed to be and therefore will bemuch harder to groom as their coat may not be the correct texture.

The 2 bichons and the crossbreed I have are all rescues, but where they were originally bought I do not think is relevant. I only have to shave on rare occasions, but one tends to get matted because he is not too fond of being groomed regularly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Mo60 wrote: »

As for someones previous post regarding giving opinions on this forum, I feel there is a right and wrong way. Being polite does not hurt anyone but some people just seem to think berating people is the way to go. Maybe this is the reason the OP and many others do not return.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment here, there has not been a single post reported on this thread since it started over a week ago.
    I didn't note anything out of line in a quick scan through it either.
    If anyone has a problem with a post, report it. Please don't do nothing and then grouse about it on thread.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭lisa_celtic

Just had a read through all of the thread.

I would just like to say that chewbacca is a spoilt rotten, well looked after yorkie, we have had him professionally trained and keep him very clean and tidy. If you look at my previous posts i once wondered was i washing him and grooming him to much.

this was his second time being groomed by a professional, and i was just so shocked and sad when he came home looking like that. there are standard yorkie haircuts and in my eyes this was not one of them.

chewbacca is very active and we spend alot of time in the garden playing every tsticks to him and we do our best with him. I am disapointed that people questioned my skills as a dog owner as he could not be more cared for by both of us.

I had agreeded to the body being shaved to one inch but she went skin tight, and the beard should have being kept in shape in my opinion.

Anyone who seen him in person after it made the joke i hope you didnt pay for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

OP I feel your pain. I got my Lab "groomed" in January and they shaved him! They absolutely destroyed his coat which has still not grown back yet. There is a thread here about it with pictures of what was done to him.

I did get onto the "groomer" (and I use that term loosely) and complained and I eventually got a refund.

Did you get in contact with the groomer to let them know you're not happy? If you haven't already I think you should as they obviously didn't groom him the way you instructed.

Oh gosh, I remember that Pinklady! The bloody 'groomer' didn't have a clue....How is the poor fella now?

I still think the OP's groomer was that rare breed - one that actually knew what she was doing. OP - I'm sorry that you think people had the idea you didn't care for Chewbacca. Nobody said that. What I asked was how often he was brushed, and suggested suitable tools for keeping the mats down. Yorkies are single coated and silky haired. They are a TERROR for the mats. Of course, I haven't seen the dog 'live', but from the photos he did look matted in the beard and chest area, and I told you so. It's not crime of the century as I say, but the dog's fur will grow back nicely in no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Oh gosh, I remember that Pinklady! The bloody 'groomer' didn't have a clue....How is the poor fella now?

Not much better to be honest. Still very patchy. His coat is in full blow out at the moment so I'm hoping by the time his winter coat comes in he'll be looking more like his old self. Invested in some new brushes so I will be grooming him myself from now on. Nobody will be getting their hands (or clippers) near him again!

That's horrific. I really don't blame you. I hope his coat comes back strong soon. It's the summer (allegedly!), so hopefully it'll grow back quick.

I am disapointed that people questioned my skills as a dog owner as he could not be more cared for by both of us.

To be fair lisa_celtic, unless I've missed one, I don't see anyone calling your ownership skills into question. You admitted the dog was to some extent matted when you brought him to the groomer in your op.
    There followed some posts explaining why groomers may have to shave a dog if there's matting, and plenty of posters even acknowledged how easy it is for this to happen, thatit happens to their dogs etc. Other posters offered advice on how to keep the coat mat-free.
    Not one person, that I could see, pointed a finger at you, or criticised you. If anything, any criticism was aimed at the groomer.
    If you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I always remember a few years back, my mother in law asked me to drop her precious poodle off to get a hair cut, so i took her in, the girl asked me how i wanted it, i didn't have a clue, so i just said..."Ah just Bone her"

I never got asked to take her again :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

To me the groomer appears to have done a good job. The hair will grow back in now time. I'm sure long haired dogs appreciate having their hair cut for the hotter months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Hair grows :) no need to stress now as the positive thing you gain from this is the fact that you won't bring your dog back there. Find somewhere else! And ps I have a Yorkie and omg no matter how much we look after her coat - it still gets matted pretty bad, she has unruly hair so she gets a tight cut every time. It's not the end of the world :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Theres a yorkie owner who walks in the park close to me, whose dog has the most A -List spectacular coat. One day I asked her how she managed it- NOT having her coat cut when she was a pup and only ever having it trimmed -never cut close ,she said. According to her shaving & extreme cutting makes it grow back wavey . Amazing silky dogs coat she had - like silk rippling.

Theres a yorkie owner who walks in the park close to me, whose dog has the most A -List spectacular coat. One day I asked her how she managed it- NOT having her coat cut when she was a pup and only ever having it trimmed -never cut close ,she said. According to her shaving & extreme cutting makes it grow back wavey . Amazing silky dogs coat she had - like silk rippling.

The lady wanted to keep the coat long, and therefore had the time and patience to groom her dog and send it to the groomer on a regular basis. I love seeing long-haired dogs in their natural state. I'll admit I keep mine short as I think it suits him, and it's far easier to keep clean! Mastermind loves getting dirty and loves to look good, but he hates the brushing, grooming and clipping to keep him looking sharp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dawg groomer

As a lot of ye will know I have an 11 month old yorkie now I will admit he was a bit matted but I asked for a puppy cut and a groomer just shaved him head to toe

What would you do?

Il post oics in a few minutes

I saw the pictures of your matted dog, and with over 15 years as a professional certified dog groomer I have seen this many times. You asked for a puppy cut, which there is really no actual term. A puppy cut can be many different lengths, which should be stated by the dog owner. But, if you are not brushing your dog between grooms, and you bring your dog in matted to the groomer, there is no way a groomer could work a miracle and keep the dogs coat long. Brushing is the responsibility of the dog owner. Grooming appointments should be between 6-8 weeks at the most. We as dog groomers can only work with what is given to us at the time of the groom. A complete shave down in my opinion is the better option for the matted dog, as mats cause pain, and de-matting also causes unnecessary pain and stress on a dog. Better to start from scratch with a shorter length of coat, brush your dog each and every day, and keep on a regular grooming schedule with your dog. Try not to change groomers too often, as your dog will become comfortable with the groomer over time, and will not take change easily. Good luck and please trust your groomers advice...we are professionals!!:)

As this is rather an old thread, I'll close it now.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement