Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 8 is not good for...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

There can be products in use, that mean its not feasible to upgrade the OS. Particularly in a corp environment. One I used to provide support for was still using NT4 upto 4/5 years ago. Even then migrating to XP, with compatability issues for their software. But couldn't get pc's or hardware for pc's to run NT4 anymore.

There's always going to be some legacy software somewhere that requires an older OS. Bonus points if it's from a company that no longer exists, the installation media was used for tea coasters and the hardware is on it's last legs.
    FrostyJack wrote: »
    Yes but they may do in the future and you cannot go back (without buying windows obviously). It is hard enough to teach old/stupid people to use Windows, I would will pull out my hair showing them Ubuntu or the likes.

Speaking of horrible interfaces, I still haven't been able to get to grips with Unity. Thankfully, a decent interface is only an apt-get away.

Speaking of horrible interfaces, I still haven't been able to get to grips with Unity. Thankfully, a decent interface is only an apt-get away.

I've never been a fan of Linux myself but that's a serious plus alright, not being tied down to a specific UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Seachmall wrote: »
    Which is odd, you'd expect Microsoft to have a crack UI design team. Although maybe it's expected with Windows 8.

They probably believe that people who were too old to have never used Win 95 are probably gone from this World, so everyone else is tech savy. It is painful to watch family members try to navigate tabs on a browers (closing them instead of minimising them :o ). Maybe Win 9 will be the answer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not a fan of Unity myself - have xfce on my work setup, keeping things pretty light.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Seachmall wrote: »
    Other OSs should made available when buying a new computer. Windows should be entirely optional.

I think the reason manufacturers don't provide alternatives is due to the money they make from the crapware that comes preinstalled on Windows computers

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Not a fan of Unity myself - have xfce on my work setup, keeping things pretty light.
    Every time I try xfce I end up going back to fluxbox. Mainly because of the better keyboard support for moving windows between monitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Steve O wrote: »
    It is the worst OS I have ever had the displeasure to use. I would rather go back to Vista at this stage.

Vista are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Vista caught a lot of flak as it was released on inferior hardware. It was actually a rather decent OS, at least the x64 version was, but many people's memories of it were that of an incredibly slow and ugly looking OS. These people were generally trying to run it on hardware that I wouldn't even run XP on.

The funny thing is that 7 is pretty much a re-skinned Vista (with some refinements that do improve performance a bit), however, with the release of Windows 7 hardware had started to catch up which, coupled with the performance tweaks, led to a much better reception.

You mention these people trying to run it on hardware you wouldn't run XP on as if they chose to.

Fact is, when a new version of windows is released, most PCs will come equipped with it. If the technology at the time wasn't powerful enough to run Vista, maybe it wasn't the correct time to release it. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Using numbers as an OS name is a bit ridiculous really. Windows 7 and 8 are all well and good, but what are Microsoft going to do after Windows 94? They can't bring out Windows 95 again can they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Win7 > Good
    Win Vista > Bad
    Win XP > Good
    Win ME > Bad
    Win 98 > Good

See the trend?
    I have made the decision a few OS ago to just skip every next version of Windows when i am running a good version.
    So never got Vista but went from XP straight to 7

inforfun wrote: »
    Win7 > Good
    Win Vista > Bad
    Win XP > Good
    Win ME > Bad
    Win 98 > Good

See the trend?
    I have made the decision a few OS ago to just skip every next version of Windows when i am running a good version.

I always see this mentioned but where does Windows 2000 fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I was using XP until about a year ago, finally got around to jumping to Win 7. I have been forcing myself to use it. Its ok in some ways but I hate the way they f**ked with Windows File Explorer.

In XP or 95 you could have two different ways of viewing folder structures and files by either running My Computer or explorer.exe but you cant seem to do this in Win 7. I have looked for info and it doesn't seem possible.

Pain "inthehole"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its not too bad just use start8 or one of the many other programs out there to get rid of metro, its still faster across the board than win7 and runs like a dream on my new SSD :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Karsini wrote: »
    I always see this mentioned but where does Windows 2000 fit in?

Windows 2000 was never really meant for home computers.
    It had no use if you wanted to play games on your pc. It was great, just not friendly for the average home user.

Dual boot with win98/win2k was on my pc till XP came around. Did both what 98 en win2k did separately for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I use this with Windows 8,works a treat.

http://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

I thought Ubuntu was a Zulu warrior. Then again, I'm better with hammers and stuff. I'd imagine tablets are hurting pc sales the worst. I got a samsung one and a samsung phone(note3s) and find I now rarely use the pc, or, err, the tablet...the phone does most of the stuff i want, esp e.mail and browsing.

note 3 isnt out yet :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

It is the worst OS I have ever had the displeasure to use. I would rather go back to Vista at this stage.

i hate using windows 8, id rather use windows 98 at this stage

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

bullvine wrote: »
    I was using XP until about a year ago, finally got around to jumping to Win 7. I have been forcing myself to use it. Its ok in some ways but I hate the way they f**ked with Windows File Explorer.

In XP or 95 you could have two different ways of viewing folder structures and files by either running My Computer or explorer.exe but you cant seem to do this in Win 7. I have looked for info and it doesn't seem possible.

Pain "inthehole"

You can right click on the start orb in Windows 7 and choose Explore if that is what your after? :S . The Libraries feature can be confusing at first, but you get the hang of it quick enough
    i hate using windows 8, id rather use windows 98 at this stage
    What is wrong with it? It is just Windows 7 without a start button and a few tweaks really, you can add the start button back again if you wish using classic shell or any of the programs mentioned above.

Nick

Edit: Neat tip for windows 8 users, move your mouse pointer to the bottom left corner of your screen and right click, handy access to all the settings stuff including cmd prompt as admin which is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

that's just baloney.

BALONEY!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

nerds convention here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's the internet. Anyone who posts on the internet is a nerd. Deal with it.

Besides, nerd conventions are freaking awesome. They have the best beer and loads of the girls are into cosplay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

wrote:
    Sarky
    It's the internet. Anyone who posts on the internet is a nerd. Deal with it.

No I wont Mammy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

inforfun wrote: »
    Win7 > Good
    Win Vista > Bad
    Win XP > Good
    Win ME > Bad
    Win 98 > Good

See the trend?

But Windows 95 was good, and Windows 8 is good. Doesn't really hold up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's a lot of ill-advised thoughts here and the media are no better, shoving half assed reports into our mouths.

1. These sales only include pre-built PCs.
    2. Software sales reached an all time high for 2012 for Windows based systems so they're doing something right.
    3. The figures include the death of the Netbook, and the Ultrabooks have been faltering lately too.
    4. Building your own PC has become more popular. The likes of Nvidia, Intel, AMD etc have recorded increases in their hardware shipments over 2012.
    5. For Q1 this year, there has been NO new hardware released into the wild worth noting, so the prebuilt PCs are still pretty much based on last years models which effectively impacts the sales.

After all these considerations Windows 8 has effectively no input on the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

There's a lot of ill-advised thoughts here and the media are no better, shoving half assed reports into our mouths.

1. These sales only include pre-built PCs.
    2. Software sales reached an all time high for 2012 for Windows based systems so they're doing something right.
    3. The figures include the death of the Netbook, and the Ultrabooks have been faltering lately too.
    4. Building your own PC has become more popular. The likes of Nvidia, Intel, AMD etc have recorded increases in their hardware shipments over 2012.
    5. For Q1 this year, there has been NO new hardware released into the wild worth noting, so the prebuilt PCs are still pretty much based on last years models which effectively impacts the sales.

After all these considerations Windows 8 has effectively no input on the matter.
    The sales in PC components is growing. So, your correct more people are building their own PC's. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/jpr-pc-gamers-numbers-pc-gaming-dead,15530.html
    "hardware sales of 17.99€ billion this year and about 24.39€ billion by 2015." ," JPR predicts especially strong growth in BRIC countries - Brazil, Russia, India and China - where gaming hardware revenue is expected to climb from 3.58€ billion in 2012 to 5.87€ billion in 2015."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Windows 8 and an SSD are a winning competition. Wouldn't even consider anything else at the moment! The only that annoys me about Windows 8 is the fact that it boots into the metro screen, there should be an option to go straight into the desktop (any advice welcome!)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The only that annoys me about Windows 8 is the fact that it boots into the metro screen, there should be an option to go straight into the desktop (any advice welcome!)

As said Already, try Pokki or Start8 etc. Mine boots to the desktop.

Zascar wrote: »
    As said Already, try Pokki or Start8 etc. Mine boots to the desktop.

Well I don't really mind not having the start menu. Pinning icons to the task bar and the windows key solves all my needs, I was wondering if there was maybe a registry tweak or something like that, tried a hack before using the task scheduler but it didn't work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Windows 8 and an SSD are a winning competition. Wouldn't even consider anything else at the moment! The only that annoys me about Windows 8 is the fact that it boots into the metro screen, there should be an option to go straight into the desktop (any advice welcome!)

I envy young generation - they just jump and learn Win8 as there was nothing before. Me and lot of the others will share useless knowledge of DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista. Thanks god car manufacturers are on completely different strategy than OS manufacturers (Microsoft) and we don't need to learn how to drive a car every year.

zom wrote: »
    I envy young generation - they just jump and learn Win8 as there was nothing before. Me and lot of the others will share useless knowledge of DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista. Thanks god car manufacturers are on completely different strategy than OS manufacturers (Microsoft) and we don't need to learn how to drive a car every year.

You're talking to someone who started off on Windows 95! The touchscreen-friendly features have a slight learning curve alright but the old Windows fundamentals are still there; Min/Max/Close buttons in the top right hand corner, notification icons in the bottom right, taskbar with icons to the bottom, control panel, desktop with icons, all that sort of thing! I don't think Windows 8 is really such a huge shift as some make it out to be. None of my metro apps will load for some reason and I haven't even bothered trying to find out why, I would never use them anyway!

Still, your post is making me wonder if that's what oul men will be discussing in the pubs in years to come - "Jaysus Billy, remember the days when we had to use a MOUSE to control the cursor, and we used to see more blue screens than the lads who used to do the CGI in films!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Windows 8 made me feel like I was on so off my head on drugs that I'd forgotten how to use a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I'm an angry bastard at the best of times, but Windows 8 had me on the edge of mass murder at work today.:mad:

Advertisement