Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird Shot, Buck Shot & Slugs

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I've been looking at the variety of shottie shells our friends across the Atlantic have and it's got me wondering.............. What choices do we have over here with regards to legality and availability? Are we limited to Bird Shot? What are the heaviest loads we can use? Can we use Buck Shot or Slugs (although I can't see a use for these with our game)?

We don't hunt Turkey and bigger animals with our shotguns over here so I can imagine we're well covered with heavier Bird Shot but what are the legal restrictions, etc?

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Any shot you want, no slugs; they're restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

How about Dragon's Breath!?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

1shot16 wrote: »

None of that either; no slugs, no sabot ammunition, no incendiary/explosive rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

1shot16 wrote: »

No, It would be classed as restricted ammunition the same as slugs. If you have a restricted licence you can buy slugs etc.. But the likelyhood of you getting one are slim unless you have a very good reason.

People can make their own wax slugs anyway and work great so ive heard...u can load alot of random stuff in a shotgun haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnzKSYWK29o

• Advertisement

If you were to do it here you would be in possession of restricted ammunition without a restricted licence.

“slug ammunition” means ammunition containing a single projectile.

5. The following ammunition is declared to be restricted ammunition for the
    purposes of the Act:
    (
    a
    ) ammunition with penetrating, explosive or incendiary projectiles and
    projectiles for such ammunition;
    (
    b
    ) slug ammunition for shotguns;
    (
    c
    ) accelerator or sabot ammunition;
    (
    d
    ) grenades, bombs and other similar missiles, whether capable or not
    capable of being used with a firearm, including explosive military
    missiles and launchers;
    (
    e
    ) ammunition for short firearms, except ammunition for any of those
    mentioned in subparagraph (2)(
    a
    ) or (2)(
    e
    ) of paragraph 4;
    (
    f
    ) any other ammunition designed or manufactured for use exclusively in
    a restricted firearm;
    (
    g
    ) ammunition for a prohibited weapon.

http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2008/B25960.pdf

I might add that if you were to do it and not know what you were doing you could end up losing your hand and face because of the possible pressure spike.

I see alot of idots on youtube putting too big cartridges to see what happens, submerging a shotgun in water etc... shouldnt be aloud guns IMO They play with them like a 4 year old and play dough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

I would love to be able to get some buck shot. I dont know if you can get Remington extra Full chokes here but them and some buck shot would make a great load for fox drives and blowing squirrel dreys outa the trees. The biggest shot Ive ever had was BB, never even seen anything bigger on offer :confused:

There are a few places that sell buckshot, I have a few boxes of 00 and 000 my friend was having terrible problems with some nuisance watermelons they were wrecking the place so i had to go and take care of them.:cool::D:D:D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

juice1304 wrote: »
    There are a few places that sell buckshot, I have a few boxes of 00 and 000 my friend was having terrible problems with some nuisance watermelons they were wrecking the place so i had to go and take care of them.:cool::D:D:D:pac:

Same here, that damn feral fruit, it's ok to shoot it out of season under derogation right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

I would love to be able to get some buck shot. I dont know if you can get Remington extra Full chokes here but them and some buck shot would make a great load for fox drives and blowing squirrel dreys outa the trees. The biggest shot Ive ever had was BB, never even seen anything bigger on offer :confused:

I think you'd be asking for trouble trying to squeeze buckshot through an x full choke. Balls that size basically have to fight each other to get out of the muzzel. A half choke will pattern better with less kick and less chance of blowing up you barrel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

No, It would be classed as restricted ammunition the same as slugs. If you have a restricted licence you can buy slugs etc.. But the likelyhood of you getting one are slim unless you have a very good reason.

A lad i know got a licence for slugs because he was heading to eastern europe to shoot wild boar and decided to use a shotgun, he obviously had to practice with them before he went.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Blay wrote: »
    None of that either; no slugs, no sabot ammunition, no incendiary/explosive rounds.
    They might even be classed as prohibited, depending on the mood of the judge being asked to rule on the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Robotack wrote: »
    I think you'd be asking for trouble trying to squeeze buckshot through an x full choke. Balls that size basically have to fight each other to get out of the muzzel. A half choke will pattern better with less kick and less chance of blowing up you barrel.

Err for the Umpteenth time. You can fire buckshot and slugs out of full choke barrels.Thats the normal full choked barrel.Read up if you can use the so called "turkey chokes."Some makers say it can others dont recommend it.
    Dragons breath shells are a good way of wrecking your shotgun barrel.All they are is a large charge of powderd magnesium.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

What kind of price are they going for? I have Eley 36g BB's and they were €12 for the box.

Who'd you tell umpteen times? Wasn't me.

I personally have found larger shot patterns poorly in very tight chokes.

Now I'm heading off topic so back to this thread. €12 sounds a little expensive. That's what I've been paying for 50g bb 3" magnums.

I cant really remember i think they were 8.50 or 9 for a box of ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Now I'm heading off topic so back to this thread. €12 sounds a little expensive. That's what I've been paying for 50g bb 3" magnums.

The search box for boards is your friend here.:);)
    It comes up at least three or four times a year.Can you fire slugs or 00 out of choked barrels.YES you can. Does 00 pattern terribly out of full choke?Quantative and your mileage may vary.As its only throwing 9 balls down range its a bit hard to pattern properly by normal shotgun pattern methods.

Dunno what they cost last time I bought eight it was still in the punt time,and they were around 12 punts.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I cant really remember i think they were 8.50 or 9 for a box of ten.

For 10 :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: ??? Pass.

Ill stick with RC 36g 4's for my nest bustin :cool:

• Advertisement

They were €12 but the price has jumped to €15.50 when I was in the shop last week. I find the 36g load of BB's patterns excellent with half choke out to 40 yards. After that it gets too patchy.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    The search box for boards is your friend here.:);)
    It comes up at least three or four times a year.Can you fire slugs or 00 out of choked barrels.YES you can. Does 00 pattern terribly out of full choke?Quantative and your mileage may vary.As its only throwing 9 balls down range its a bit hard to pattern properly by normal shotgun pattern methods.

Dunno what they cost last time I bought eight it was still in the punt time,and they were around 12 punts.:pac:

Sorry. It's just that I don't typically do a search before I reply to a post on the chance it's been mentioned the previous year. And I must not have been paying close enough attention to boards when it came up all those times before.

So apologies, my bad.... Can we fire 00 buckshot out of choked barrels??... Grizzly, just like Barrack Obama says... YES we can!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I know the gun shops around me all say that buck shot is illegal - haven't seen them stock it for years. Good to know that they're wrong.
    Why don't people use it on fox shoots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

thelurcher wrote: »
    I know the gun shops around me all say that buck shot is illegal - haven't seen them stock it for years. Good to know that they're wrong.
    Why don't people use it on fox shoots?

You dont need it for foxes, bb or a heavy load is plenty

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

i have removed the last few posts regarding a certain practice. It is ILLEGAL to do what is being discussed. This is not the first time this has come up or the first time it has been removed.

Any alteration to ammunition that leaves the person with the component parts or changes one type of ammo to another is classed as reloading, or depending on the ammo, restricted/prohibited.

Please don't bring the topic up again as it will be removed.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭skinnylizzy

Bold boys!!!!!! Ha ha. Thanks for all the replies guys. Once again, a fountain of information. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Wax slugs legal or just stupid? Been watching loads of vids on the net about them anyone tried them?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

As per the mod note, illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement