Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmonella pH and Temp??? antagonism??

• 11-04-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Anyone know why Salmonella dies at pH 4 at 37°C but survives at pH4 at 4°C???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

Rin12 wrote: »
    Anyone know why Salmonella dies at pH 4 at 37°C but survives at pH4 at 4°C???

Uhm, are you sure about that? I think you may have it backwards.

It doesn't make logical sense to me given salmonella is a food borne infection and so would need to be able to survive and grow at both that temperature(body temperature) and at least survive low pH (Stomach is ~2 iirc, but not sure where in the tract infection usually occurs), but doesn't sporulate.

This site: http://www.foodsafetywatch.com/public/481.cfm reports growth conditions of 7 - 48 degrees and 3.5 - 9.5 pH

I've never actually worked with salmonella though (it's getting to be a while since I did any micro), but you might want to double check that.

Advertisement