Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in traffic since last Sunday

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Hi

Starting last Sunday one of my sites has seen an increase of at least 25% daily. I have done nothing SEO-related to the site for a good few months, so I don't know what to attribute the increase to. It had always seen an increase in traffic in January, but never this late in the year, and never such a spectacular increase. It's genuine traffic, there has been no increase in bounce rate and the pv remains pretty much the same as it was.

Has anyone else seen an increase, or know of anything Google-related that has happened last week that this could be attributed to? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Might someone have linked to your site?

How are people getting to your site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Victor wrote: »
    Might someone have linked to your site?

How are people getting to your site?

It's weird - every source seems to have increased. For example one of the big job websites pulls the job feed from my site - traffic from that site to me, for the 5 days since last Sunday, has doubled from 400 to 800, that however doesn't cover the increase for even one day.

Everything else also seems to have increased proportionally, organic search, direct traffic, referral.

Marked traffic increases are seasonal on the site, but this definitely isn't one of the periods I'd expect to see an increase in traffic. I've had the site about five years now so I know exactly when to expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I own one Irish-city specific site, two thematic sites that are strongly targeted at the English-speaking world, and one techinically oriented site that gets worldwide visitors.

I and haven't seen any big increase in traffic since last Sunday (apart from the normal and very gradual seasonal increase at this time of year for the Irish-city site).

Did anything at all change on your site?

Are you using the same statistics tool on it as on your others that didn't show an increase?

Is there something unseasonal going on in the world in this niche? (North Korea, Maggie Thatcher, ???)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

cormee wrote: »
    It's weird - every source seems to have increased. For example one of the big job websites pulls the job feed from my site - traffic from that site to me, for the 5 days since last Sunday, has doubled from 400 to 800, that however doesn't cover the increase for even one day.

Everything else also seems to have increased proportionally, organic search, direct traffic, referral.

Marked traffic increases are seasonal on the site, but this definitely isn't one of the periods I'd expect to see an increase in traffic. I've had the site about five years now so I know exactly when to expect it.

I checked the usual suspects and there was no algo update (bar one in mid march).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

IRE60 wrote: »
    I checked the usual suspects and there was no algo update (bar one in mid march).

That may well be it so, thanks. Last Sunday was the 7th. The week prior to that traffic had fallen. So it's within the realm of possibility it took the algorithm update two weeks to filter down to Google.ie

Mrs. O Bumble - very little on the site had changed, apart from my usual tinkering with the code. Same stats tool - GA. And my site users tend to be, for the large part, Irish, or Ireland-based

• Advertisement
Advertisement