Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hop up problem

• 11-04-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    Just have a small problem with a gun here
    Nothing major really, more just annoying :P
    Anyway, when I shoot the gun (325 fps) it seems to have very short range even when on full hop
    I'd say its an easy fix really but an unsure :)
    If anyone can help me please post below
    Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

what BB's are you using, what hop up/barrel are you using and lastly what AEG is it? and have you got another AEG to compare it to? just wondering how far it's reaching, or lack thereof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Eoghan S

T4RGET wrote: »
    what BB's are you using, what hop up/barrel are you using and lastly what AEG is it? and have you got another AEG to compare it to? just wondering how far it's reaching, or lack thereof.

I'm using kings arms .20g premium bbs
    I still have the stock hop up and barrel, however these are good enough as it is a proline gun
    The gun itself is a classic army m15a4 cqb and should have great range
    I'm comparing it to my mates aeg, even though mine has a shorter barrel, the bbs seem to drop down really quickly
    Any suggestions?

Eoghan S wrote: »
    I'm using kings arms .20g premium bbs
    I still have the stock hop up and barrel, however these are good enough as it is a proline gun
    The gun itself is a classic army m15a4 cqb and should have great range
    I'm comparing it to my mates aeg, even though mine has a shorter barrel, the bbs seem to drop down really quickly
    Any suggestions?

It could be a few things.
    Firstly Clean the barrel, if you can take the barrel out of the gun and then clean it, make sure your hop is off :)

Secondly the hop up nub/rubber may be damaged or it may have shifted. although a damaged hop up rubber will probably come up as a loss in FPS as well, can you take a hop up unit apart?

It could be a few things.
    Firstly Clean the barrel, if you can take the barrel out of the gun and then clean it, make sure your hop is off :)

Secondly the hop up nub/rubber may be damaged or it may have shifted. although a damaged hop up rubber will probably come up as a loss in FPS as well, can you take a hop up unit apart?

Unfortunately, no
    I really don't want to damage the gun, but I suppose its a good start to learning my ways around it
    So if I get a new hop up rubber do I just place it between the barrel and the hop up unit itself?
    Thanks for the help :)

Unfortunately, no
    I really don't want to damage the gun, but I suppose its a good start to learning my ways around it
    So if I get a new hop up rubber do I just place it between the barrel and the hop up unit itself?

Well i can walk you through taking it apart if you want but just make sure you don't lose any parts, some of the components are very, very small.

• Advertisement

Well i can walk you through taking it apart if you want but just make sure you don't lose any parts, some of the components are very, very small.

Yeah that'd be great thanks man
    Cheers for your time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

How old is the gun; did you buy it new? How many BB's have you put through it?

Range is an awkward term, because to many people it is very subjective. I stand by that the effective range for airsoft is 40 meters, with max range being around 60m.

You need to inspect the effect your hop up is having - do you have access to a chrono? Test your rifle on a chrono with hop off, and hop on - there should be a significant difference. Similarly can you get the gun to overhop i.e. lift a BB higher into the air?
    If not then you've definitely got a problem with your hop up chamber.

Separate your gun's receivers (tap out front body pin; slide upper receiver off - if your gun is front wired remember that you need to thread the wires through the receiver as you take it off), and remove your barrel and hop assembly. Hold the assembly up to a light and look through the hop up unit; adjust the hop up and inspect the mound - it should become more prevalent as you adjust it. Ideally you should see a good chunk of rubber in the barrel with hop fully on. If you don't see that, or much adjustment at all, then inspect the cogs/gears on the hop up chamber itself...they're normally plastic, and sometimes can have seam-lines which can restrict their ROM (range of movement...not read only memory :D) - if you notice anywhere that the cogs are binding, then disassemble the hop up unit and use a craft knife to remove excess plastic from the teeth.

If you have full ROM in the cogs, and can adjust it fully then you want to look at the hop up nub and bucking; remove the barrel & hop up rubber from the chamber (pop off the C-clip, hold the chamber with feed tube facing up and apply downward pressure on the barrel as you slide it out - this will allow you to take the hop up rubber out with the barrel, save you fishing around with a tweezers later. Inspect the hop up rubber; is it very hard, is it torn, is it caked in grease? All of these things affect your gun's performance - if it's torn you get an air leak and inadequate spin, if its too hard then it won't be effective at our power limits, and if it's swimming in grease then how can it impart spin? Replace for a nice soft hop up rubber - I'm partial to G&G Green, Madbull Blue and Prometheus Purple. Before you put the new hop up rubber in, take the old nub out (this sits in on the hop arm - there's a small hole inside the chamber, you'll find it there). An awful lot of the time these are hollow pieces of soft-rubber tubing. A piece of plastic presses a soft piece of rubber into a softer piece of rubber, and most of the adjustment in the chamber is taken up by the compression of that piece of tubing. Using a hard piece of plastic in the suitable size (i.e. cut one from the ink-tube of a bic pen), or a hard nub (such as H-nub etc) will give you much more finite adjustment.

Put the new nub into the hop up chamber (still holding it upside down; feed tube in the air), and slide the barrel with hop up rubber into the chamber. There is a linear groove cut into your barrel - keep that lined up with the seam-line of the hop up chamber. Put the C-clip back on, and inspect the range of adjustment. You should now see a much more prominent mound in the hop chamber. Put the barrel and hop assembly back into the rifle and chrono (hop off) - any work done to a rifle can change its power output; it is always worth checking. While testing, turn the hop on and look at the power readings - they should go down by a larger amount than before. Next test fire the gun and see if you can achieve an overhop. Once you can overhop, it's just about choosing your BB weight, and adjusting the hop up into that sweet spot.

Thanks a lot I'll look into it now :D
    The gun is roughly two years old, I got it second hand
    Its in perfect condition apart from that. And no, its not able to over hop which is my problem as I then can't get the perfect spot :)
    Thanks for all your help :)

Right so what Kev did (Inari) is what I was going to walk through with you, so what ever he said :p:). Let us know if you/not get it sorted.

Right so what Kev did (Inari) is what I was going to walk through with you, so what ever he said :p:). Let us know if you/not get it sorted.

I will thanks again :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help!
    I think I've managed to fix it :)
    If not I'll ask again

I have, regardless, taken apart the gun and revealed my problem: the plastic grooves on two of the dials had been worn away on some parts, due to the hop up chamber rubbing against the top of them each time the charging handle was pulled
    Now I have some questions: Where can I find replacement dials/do you have any?
    Or should I just splash out on another hop up unit?

Here's some pics of them (I don't know how to put the pics straight up, sorry for the link!)

you won't need a whole new hop up pack, just the chamber should do you, they're usually only like a fiver or so, but can be 25 and up for new ones especially if they contain the hop up nub and rubber.
    Also I don't get how the teeth on the outside wore away. you mentioned the charging handle.
    On a side note i do have spare wheels for the side. Not sure if it helps you. depends on where you live really.

you won't need a whole new hop up pack, just the chamber should do you, they're usually only like a fiver or so, but can be 25 and up for new ones especially if they contain the hop up nub and rubber.
    Also I don't get how the teeth on the outside wore away. you mentioned the charging handle.
    On a side note i do have spare wheels for the side. Not sure if it helps you. depends on where you live really.

Oh right so
    You don't have any spares do you?
    Well each time the charging handle is pulled back, and the bit below the dust cover (the metal chamber cover containing the hop up), rubs against the top of the gears on the hop up and so each time I try to change the hop up, I am only turning the first dial, which does nothing, as the other gears/dials are so worn away from the piece rubbing against them, that only half of the inside gears actually connect to the first gear
    It sounds very confusing, I can add photos if that helps?
    I'm based in Wicklow if that's any good to you? Because I think spare wheels are exactly what I need :)
    Thanks again for the help :)

nah mate, it makes sense and i know the part you're talking about :), kind of odd for the fake bolt to rub against the hop up though. Are you ever in Hilltop?

nah mate, it makes sense and i know the part you're talking about :), kind of odd for the fake bolt to rub against the hop up though. Are you ever in Hilltop?

I know that's what I was thinking alright
    I airsoft at hilltop alright but I probably won't be there for a while due to time, money and the fact that I just went :)

I know that's what I was thinking alright
    I airsoft at hilltop alright but I probably won't be there for a while due to time, money and the fact that I just went :)

Well I'm up there a good bit, especially during the summer, 3 weeks and I'm finished college for the summer. In the mean time try get the parts and just PM if you're ever heading up and if I am too, I'll bring the bits if you haven't already got them.

Well I'm up there a good bit, especially during the summer, 3 weeks and I'm finished college for the summer. In the mean time try get the parts and just PM if you're ever heading up and if I am too, I'll bring the bits if you haven't already got them.

Yeah that sounds great thanks
    I'll be up in the summer quite a lot also
    I've discovered the fake bolt has sunk in to the gun a little bit, leading to the dial being worn
    Thanks for you help :)

Yeah that sounds great thanks
    I'll be up in the summer quite a lot also
    I've discovered the fake bolt has sunk in to the gun a little bit, leading to the dial being worn
    Thanks for you help :)

It may have been bent out of shape slightly if the upper receiver was ever removed, although it should have bent back into shape from sliding of the rounded area of the gearbox. Grand so let me know if you're heading up and I'll bring them up, heck let me know if you're heading up regardless, always nice to put a face to a user.

• Advertisement

It may have been bent out of shape slightly if the upper receiver was ever removed, although it should have bent back into shape from sliding of the rounded area of the gearbox. Grand so let me know if you're heading up and I'll bring them up, heck let me know if you're heading up regardless, always nice to put a face to a user.

Don't I know it :)
    Next time I go up I'll tell you
    Thanks for your help mate I'll try to get the fake bolt fixed somehow :)

Advertisement