Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog smelling his backside

• 11-04-2013 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭

Howdy

Basically my dog has been sniffing / licking his behind a lot lately, it usually happens at night which is very strange, he's nearly 15 so he sleeps a lot and such during the day, I'm just wondering should it be something of concern or is he just seeing where he's been?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Could be his anal glands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

tk123 wrote: »
    Could be his anal glands?

That's what i was thinking, but I just want to make sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sounds like anal glands to me too. I'd take him to the vet to have them emptied.

What are you feeding him?

Sounds like anal glands to me too. I'd take him to the vet to have them emptied.

What are you feeding him?

Butchers & pedgree chum, not side by side but one one week and another the next, it's a money matter

I appreciate that. But if it IS the dog's glands that could very well be the problem. Butcher's and PC aren't the best.

Believe it or not, you're better off getting a good quality food. Expensive to begin with, but cheap in the long run, as you'll be giving less food.

I've a dog with the same problem as mentioned a few times before on here. I feed him a good quality food, and he's much happier. Cheaper for me too as I don't have to pay E70 a time to empty his glands.

• Advertisement

I appreciate that. But if it IS the dog's glands that could very well be the problem. Butcher's and PC aren't the best.

Believe it or not, you're better off getting a good quality food. Expensive to begin with, but cheap in the long run, as you'll be giving less food.

I've a dog with the same problem as mentioned a few times before on here. I feed him a good quality food, and he's much happier. Cheaper for me too as I don't have to pay E70 a time to empty his glands.

Yeah we'l probably do that, how much would a decent bag of food cost, for a dog of his age like

70 quid? Feck sake, righto, well a trip to the vets is due I guess Thanks for the help guys

James Wellbeloved or Burns senior versions would be best I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could try some raw chicken wings OP if you haven't already gone to the vets or a bone from the butcher if you can get one - the wings/bone with firm up the poo and help to empty the gland as it passes thru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's easy enough to empty the dog's anal glands yourself, and this way of doing it is a lot less traumatic than the vets':

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-empty-your-dogs-anal-sacs.html

Advertisement