Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scopes

• 11-04-2013 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi lads ...

I have a strike systems acog red dot on my M4 and was looking to position a magnification scope before it with the option for flipping the scope offside. Any one know or recommend any ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Hi lads ...

I have a strike systems acog red dot on my M4 and was looking to position a magnification scope before it with the option for flipping the scope offside. Any one know or recommend any ???

the best option is to get a 4x flip to side magnifier, airsoftguns.ie do them. I'm sure some others do them too. I'm in college atm so can't link you (airsoft sites are blocked - considered firearms :rolleyes:).
    I'm sure someone here can get one linked for you. I'm not 100% sure if the magnifier will work with an ACOG though, it was designed for an EOtech style holographic sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Call me pragmatic, but would you not be better off simply using a magnified ACOG? Given that the real Trijicon ACOG is a 4x32 sight, it would certainly make the most sense. Using a magnifier with a red dot ACOG would look very odd, and getting it lined up right would be more difficult. It is certainly possible though.

Flip to the side mounts are not good, at least not in my personal experience - I had been warned against them due to them snagging on trees, brush etc, but I ignored the advice and bought one anyway...my god they flap around a lot! Insanely annoying - twist-off mounts are far more practical, less flamboyant, and much more effective (not to mention safe for the optic - leaving it off to the side leaves it open for being shot; twist-off into a pocket/pouch keeps it safe from harm!).

If it were me, and I wanted a red-dot with magnifier combo, I would use an Aimpoint Military sight - the reticule on an EOTech gets massive with a magnifier, and since none of the lens protectors are made out of optical grade polycarbonate, you end up with a completely distorted field of view, that is exceptionally narrow. Aimpoint's on the other hand take mesh kill-flashes, and the dot works much better when magnified...not to mention of course that you can get magnifiers that screw in instead of a killflash, and don't magnify the dot at all - even better!

PS: Last point about magnifiers - please remember that they change the zero of your sight; best bet is to co-witness the red dot with your irons, have your irons zeroed for shorter engagements, and have the red dot zeroed (with the magnifier) for longer ones; should make for more effective shooting :)

Advertisement