Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working inter state

Options
  • 11-04-2013 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have been asked to go and work in Perth for 2 weeks. They will cover flights, accommodation and meals while there. However, they do not payany extra money for working away. Is this strange? My company is very tight so I presume its just them. What are other peoples experiences of working interstate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

That sounds fairly normal. I'm based in Melbourne but have to travel to Syndey, Brisbane, Perth and New Zealand at various times during the year for work. They pay for all my accommodation, food, taxis etc while I'm away but nothing extra. I still save loads of money on these trips as it's taking a break from my normal spending i.e. no food expenses while I'm away, not having to put petrol in my car etc.

I try to arrange my trips close to a weekend too so I get to stay a while longer in the city visiting friends or just exploring. That way it's pretty much a weekend away, paid for by your employer (although I'd have to pay for any weekend food/drink expenses myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

kinggriff wrote: »
    I have been asked to go and work in Perth for 2 weeks. They will cover flights, accommodation and meals while there. However, they do not pay any extra money for working away. Is this strange?
    No, it's pretty standard. As massdebater says, you'll still do pretty well out of it, financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kinggriff wrote: »
    I have been asked to go and work in Perth for 2 weeks. They will cover flights, accommodation and meals while there. However, they do not pay any extra money for working away. Is this strange? My company is very tight so I presume its just them. What are other peoples experiences of working interstate?

I'm not sure what you are looking for tbh.
    They cover flights, accom, and food (so small saving there for you). What other extras are you expecting?
    Simply a "bonus" for doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

If you travel regularly I think its ok to expect an uplift, especially if a client is paying for your time.

I travel a bit and get a nice uplift but generally you earn every penny when on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are looking for tbh.
    They cover flights, accom, and food (so small saving there for you). What other extras are you expecting?
    Simply a "bonus" for doing it?

Living away from home allowance $30 per day, bonus is usually something that's performance related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Living away from home allowance $30 per day, bonus is usually something that's performance related.

Isn't living away from home allowance there to cover food and accom, which is already paid.
    I'm just not sure why warrants/earns the extra pay. Maybe I've just been in the flat salary game too long

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kinggriff

I was just wondering. The only advantage is that we have open OT. We don't even get that 30 dollars away from home allowance. So I don't really see the point in being away from family for 2 weeks for the same money. Perhaps if we were paid the industry standard but that's a different issue :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Isn't living away from home allowance there to cover food and accom, which is already paid.
    I'm just not sure why warrants/earns the extra pay. Maybe I've just been in the flat salary game too long

Sometimes called "working" away from home allowance rather than living away from home allowance.

I work away from home a lot and my flights, accommodation, meals etc is all expensed but I get $30 per night extra for the inconvenience of being way from home either domestically or internationally. $30 is fairly standard.

Advertisement