Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet and windy,but milder,from Saturday 13th onwards

Options
  • 11-04-2013 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭

A 2315 update from Met Eireann....
    Headline : Unsettled and changeable over the weekend and next week, with temperatures recovering to normal but some very strong winds expected at times.

Saturday night : Very mild, wet and windy on Saturday night but rain will clear to showers overnight.

Sunday : Mild, bright and windy on Sunday with sunny spells and scattered heavy showers, however a band of more prolonged and heavy showers will affect some western areas for a time during the afternoon and evening and it will become extremely windy here also, especially near the west coasts with gales or strong gales and some severe gusts at times. Afternoon temperatures of 11 to 15 degrees. Winds moderating and showers becoming well scattered overnight Sunday.

Monday : Bright on Monday with some sunny spells and scattered showers early in the day and temperatures of 11 to 14 degrees. But wet and very windy conditions will develop later in the day or Monday night.

Tuesday & Wednesday : Early indications suggest Tuesday and Wednesday will be bright days with sunny spells and scattered April showers, but southern counties could see a spell of more prolonged rain for a time overnight Tuesday. Max. 11 to 14 C, and nights fairly cool.

Further outlook : The second half of the week looks mild and less windy. There will be some rain or showers at times but amounts look small and a good deal of dry bright weather is expected overall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Never thought i'd hear myself say this but bring on the Mild....Good news for farmers and gardeners alike:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

yes at last only a few days of rain and then some warm sun for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Nearly there. 9c at Dublin Airport at 1100. Today's the day that the temperature will hit 10c for the first time in 55 days ( 1 day short of 8 weeks!) - Feb 16th.

edit. 1500
    DUBLIN AIRPORT W 10 CLOUDY 10 71 0.0 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

dexter647 wrote: »
    Never thought i'd hear myself say this but bring on the Mild....Good news for farmers and gardeners alike:)

The last two days in Cork have been lovely and mild. I was feeling too warm walking home from work in my winter threads. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Well, we more or less squeezed an extra week out of the dry spell in the west compared to what was forecast, rain overnight Wednesday (which I didn't see) and showery on Thursday (which was the first rain I have seen in some time), but other than that it has continued to be dry. We were at winter levels of cold again at night time even up to last night.

Much as i enjoyed the dry spell, it's probably time for spring to arrive to get growth etc. back up to speed. Driving from Louisburgh to Galway earlier in the week was like driving through the desert, everything seemed so barren and dry. However, all forecasts seem to suggest that spring will start here at lunchtime today and continue for the foreseeable future.

I suppose the best case scenario now would be four or five weeks of Atlantic muck and get it out of the way in the hope that we can start to look forward to a half decent summer from mid may onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's really remarkable how little plant activity there has been so far this year. I'm guessing the plants will go completely nuts in a few days and we'll have a very rapid spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm glad the "lawns" have already been cut a couple of times though the back garden was actually starting to go a bit yellow! In April!

It'll be crazy growth in the next week. Hedge trimmer at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I've a pot of pansies planted last year blooming on the windowsill.

Meant to plant them out all last summer but the weather was too bad and the snails would have decimated them. They should have been hardened off and out a month ago but it was just too cold.

The rain finally reached here at lunchtime, though it's nowhere near as heavy or windy as I would have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

just finished ''raining'' here, and it was Nowhere near as heavy as i expected, 15-20mm predicted, more like 5mm :)

nice chart - won't happen but just a reminder that winter is only a little over seven and a half months away, lets hope we see lots of this. ;)

Rtavn3241.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

just finished ''raining'' here, and it was Nowhere near as heavy as i expected, 15-20mm predicted, more like 5mm :)

Same here, I was expecting a deluge in Cork city today, and was expecting it to be constant. It's been on and off, and nothing too horrific.

nice chart - won't happen but just a reminder that winter is only a little over seven and a half months away, lets hope we see lots of this. ;)

I'd report you for trolling but can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

Feels very balmy out this evening. Tropical compared to what we got the past few weeks. Not use to this type of weather :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

At last. I'm actually sitting here with my window fully open wearing a tee-shirt so it's looking good and it's warm compared to the last two months.

My hands are not numb anymore yeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

'Tis makin some rain out there tonight. A welcome break from watering the plants!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Have collected 800 litres in my rain tank today and thats only from the back of the house, 8.4 C at the moment was hard to reach that during the day recently. The grass might turn green again soon and will be cryin out for a dry day to cut it, ah the joys of gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

13.5c on the way to work this morning, I had to out sun cream on :)

Weather warning from met between 1000-2000, Wind S @ 25-30kts, gusting 40-45kts...

Sun and mild but very gusty, though not as bad as last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wind dying out in arklow atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

17C in Glasnevin now :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The Foehn effect in play.

Nice swirl to our southwest right now a very aesthetic and developed system measuring a depth currently ~ 970hPa.

Met E well on top of this with wind warnings for the west, i see gusts to 60kt in some exposed spots overnight.

Windy for all, although rain accumulations will not be too great with the speed of transit of the frontal system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met office also have a wind warning out for NI. Sorry can't link on phone

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Got up to 16.9c here today...very nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Expect the onset of very strong winds around 10 p.m. in the west, peaking around 0100-0200h with gusts to 120 km/hr ... Galway Bay appears to be in line for the peak gusts, then the usual path east across Galway, Offaly and Meath for these peak gusts overnight, reaching the east coast by 0400-0600h. Further north the onset of strong winds may be delayed by several hours compared to further south as the gradient will be much stronger to the south until late in the event. Meanwhile anywhere further south can also expect a period of very strong winds overnight but peak gusts will decrease to about 90 km/hr in the inland southeast, but could also hit 100-110 km/hr along the south coast and parts of the east coast not blocked by higher terrain. To be more specific, Dublin (A) is likely to see a gradual increase through most of the night then a peak around 0600h when winds reach a more favourable direction.

17C in Glasnevin now :o
    my car thermometer read 17c this afternoon yet I could see small patches of snow on the mountains at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Getting very blustery in the West!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Crazy winds in south Kerry all day, Last few days have been very blustery.
    Weather station has a fault so cant give stats but some of the gusts are the worst i have seen in a number of years.
    Hopefully no structural damage will occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Swirl just approaching West coast now....looks well on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I can hear the wind outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Winds starting to increase. Gusting to over 40mph now.

NW Clare

Advertisement