Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

President Michael D Higgins & raised bogs

• 11-04-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I could be wrong here but did President Michael D Higgins betray us (the bog owners) by signing the Habitats Directive in 1997?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why would that be a betrayal?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Maybe betray is the wrong word how about sell us out instead.I think this should have gone under farming and not politics because I am hoping to get a response from the farming community or bog owners.

MODS feel free to move or delete it.

I still don't understand what you mean by it. It's created areas for rare / endangered species to survive and safe guarded at least some small sections of land for future generations to enjoy. It benefits the nation & society and the environment both by providing habitat and limiting industrialisation and burning of more turf.
    Unless your only goal as a bog owner is to mine it into non existence then no, he hasn't betrayed or sold you out

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

I do think people should not be allowed to cut turf for commercial purpose.Maybe allocate quotas for each turf bank and it will last for generations as it has done so already.
    Cookie Monster You say
    It's created areas for rare / endangered species to survive
    I dont agree because people will simply set fire to the bog and there goes that argument and that benefits no one.

My goal as a bog owner is to pass it on to the next generation not "mine it into non existence"

You are obviously not a bog owner

• Advertisement

RealExpert wrote: »
    I dont agree because people will simply set fire to the bog and there goes that argument and that benefits no one.
    why will people simply do that? And if they do they can't be prosecuted anyway?
    My goal as a bog owner is to pass it on to the next generation not "mine it into non existence"
    so how does this impact your passing it on?

no

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

People will not simply set fire to all of the bogs! And I'd guess that, given how water-logged an intact bog is, if someone did manage to set it alight, it would still be able to perform its ecosystem services soon afterwards!

Bogs that havn't been drained support a huge number of species of plants and animals, and provide very significant ecosystem services like carbon storage, water retention which helps prevent flooding of rural areas and rivers, and water filtration too. Protecting the raised bogs that are intact or that are potentially capable of regeneration benefits everyone.

Signing the habitats directive also benefitted everyone by protecting other habitats and a huge range of ecosystem services ,
    Also, biodiversity is worth a minimum of €2.6 billion to the Irish economy each year. Worth keeping in mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Cutting a bog is mining, same as coal mining - bogs grow at about a millimetre a year. Hand-cutting doesn't make bog-cutting sustainable, it just means depletion takes longer.

There's plenty of bog that's of little scientific value (although a hell of a lot less than there was), and nobody is objecting to cutting on those bogs. Why anyone would need to cut - specifically, now - a bog that's of scientific value rather than a bog that isn't is strange. It's like saying you've got to have some stone, and if that stone happens to be a bit of Newgrange or a ring fort, well, so what, you've got to have some stone.

Not that the latter attitude is uncommon, mind you.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Why would they set fire to the bog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

i still think they got turf cutters off because theres plans down the line to build wind turbines on the exposed bogs..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Referring to his status as President in the thread title to question a directive he signed as a Minister 16 years ago is a little disingenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Why would they set fire to the bog?

why will people simply do that?
    You burn the bog to clear way for turfcutting.
    It's also a legitimate land management exercise for shooters.

Nothing illegal about burning the bogs if you give notice and burn within the allowed range on the calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

You burn the bog to clear way for turfcutting.
    It's also a legitimate land management exercise for shooters.

Nothing illegal about burning the bogs if you give notice and burn within the allowed range on the calendar.

Your way off the mark there totally incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Your way off the mark there totally incorrect.
    Fair enough if I am, where do you say I am wrong?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Strip-burning of heather is carried out by hunters to provide the right mix of habitat (i.e. young and old heather plants) for Red Grouse. So rotational strip burning is carried out as a legitimate conservation technique.

But that doesn't seem to be what the OP was talking about!

Advertisement