Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog excessively chewing paw

Options
  • 12-04-2013 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Lately my dog has been chewing and licking his paw allot and for long periods of time, I have checked it myself and squeezed it to see if it was hurting him but no reaction. Is this something to be concerned about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Lately my dog has been chewing and licking his paw allot and for long periods of time, I have checked it myself and squeezed it to see if it was hurting him but no reaction. Is this something to be concerned about?

It could be allergies, it could be stress. Have you changed his food recently or anything else different?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Just wondering what breed of dog it is? My golden retriever does the same after been out walking through the fields, but after a good few minutes chewing the paw joint, he nods off :rolleyes: i have him on fish oil caps incase of joint probs !

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

He is a staffordshire bull terrier. As far as his food goes I haven't changed anything, I give him fish oil capsules also. I'd say he has been doing this in the last 3 weeks maybe. Is it possible its from to much of a certain nutrient? I heard it can cause them to chew incessantly and he does scab allot of food from everyone in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What food is he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Im looking after a stray dog I picked up four weeks ago.(a terrier/lab cross)From first day I brought her home she was licking and chewing at her foot. After week I noticed it was very very red. I thought she had walked on something and just had a cut from being out on roads for few weeks. It got to point where i noticed rash on her belly too. Brought her to vets. She had a moist dermatitis. vet gave her antibiotics and its clearing now. If there is no obvious redness, the dog is letting you touch the paw and not limping it prob not that. But hot spots (google them) happen pretty quick so Id bring the dog to the vet to let the vet have a look to be safe.

• Advertisement

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Im looking after a stray dog I picked up four weeks ago.(a terrier/lab cross)From first day I brought her home she was licking and chewing at her foot. After week I noticed it was very very red. I thought she had walked on something and just had a cut from being out on roads for few weeks. It got to point where i noticed rash on her belly too. Brought her to vets. She had a moist dermatitis. vet gave her antibiotics and its clearing now. If there is no obvious redness, the dog is letting you touch the paw and not limping it prob not that. But hot spots (google them) happen pretty quick so Id bring the dog to the vet to let the vet have a look to be safe.

I think it might be dermatitis. Googled it to look at some pictures and he does have redness in his paws that looks like the pictures im looking at. I will bring him to the vet and get it taken care of. Thanks for the help man, Dexter can soon relax without ripping his paw off:D

I think it might be dermatitis. Googled it to look at some pictures and he does have redness in his paws that looks like the pictures im looking at. I will bring him to the vet and get it taken care of. Thanks for the help man, Dexter can soon relax without ripping his paw off:D

What food is the dog on as this could be a cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

andreac wrote: »
    What food is the dog on as this could be a cause.

I second andreac if the food contains animal deritatives or cereals that's a no no and very likely to be the root of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The problem wouldn't necessarily be the fact that the food contains animal derivatives, but rather that the term is a catch-all so the specific protein sources go un-named.

A surprising number of dogs have an itchy reaction to beef. But then most dog foods don't contain beef, because there is very little wastage in cattle slaughter.

Actually dogs are far better able to cope with cereals than previously thought. It's just that protein from animal sources such as eggs, fish, chicken, lamb etc. are preferrable.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Our papillon cross does this as a bedtime routine. If he starts during the day we distract him from it but at night, just before he nods off, there's no distracting him! No other rashes or itchy spots. Unless we feed him RC then he scratches himself as if he were crawling with fleas!
    My aunt said her red setter did it after picking up red mites at the beach?

• Advertisement

He eats some Bakers nuts in the morning and at around 3-4 he gets a can of brandy dog food. Also potatoes, fish, chicken or whatever is left over from dinner (All fresh food)

He eats some Bakers nuts in the morning and at around 3-4 he gets a can of brandy dog food. Also potatoes, fish, chicken or whatever is left over from dinner (All fresh food)

That's your problem then I'd imagine. That food is awful one of the worst you can feed really so I suggest you change the food to a good quality one.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

My dog used to chew at his paws something shocking. I would check them regularly and I couldn't find anything that looked amiss to me. Then because the other dog was having problems with the food she was on - turns out she had a maize allergy - we switched from the Hill's Science Plan to Barking Heads. Both dogs are thriving since and there is no more paw chewing. At least, nothing that isn't him just doing his own general maintenance.

A reaction to an ingredient in the food is what I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He eats some Bakers nuts in the morning and at around 3-4 he gets a can of brandy dog food.

There's your answer there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

My old dog Jimmy used to lick, chew and gnaw at one of his paws until it bled. used to get really bad. Asked loads of people and vets what it could be. Some said allergies, some said stress.
    We changed his food and gave him loads of attention and comfort. No change.
    Finally we got his blood checked. Turned out he had developed DIABETES in his old age.
    We managed it with daily insulin injections and he lived to the ripe old age of 16.

Heres a link that might be of some help:
    http://www.dogpawlicking.com/pawlickingbybreed.html

That's your problem then I'd imagine. That food is awful one of the worst you can feed really so I suggest you change the food to a good quality one.

What would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Some of the best brands of dry food IMO opinion are Barking Heads and Taste of the Wild. Other good ones are Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved. Skinners is meant to be a good alternative to Burns and only around £25. You can buy it on Amazon I think. They seem more expensive but you feed a lot less than the supermarket brands so can actually work out around the same price or cheaper.

There is also the raw diet if you would consider it. It can be very beneficial for dogs with allergies/intolerances. My dog cant tolerate processed chicken but with fresh/raw there are no problems.

Anything that doesnt have cereals or meat/animal derivitives as their first ingredient.
    A good quality food that you can get in the pet shop, not the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

My dog falls into the category of 'likes to lick' but on occassion he does it obsessively along with biting and chewing his paws - that's when I get the Advocate out - with a couple of days he's fine - with him it's a reaction to nematodes (according to vet) and usually only happens in the milder months.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Some of the best brands of dry food IMO opinion are Barking Heads and Taste of the Wild. Other good ones are Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved. Skinners is meant to be a good alternative to Burns and only around £25. You can buy it on Amazon I think. They seem more expensive but you feed a lot less than the supermarket brands so can actually work out around the same price or cheaper.

There is also the raw diet if you would consider it. It can be very beneficial for dogs with allergies/intolerances. My dog cant tolerate processed chicken but with fresh/raw there are no problems.

Thanks! definitely no more bakers! is brandy fine?

• Advertisement

Thanks! definitely no more bakers! is brandy fine?

Not really. That tinned stuff is awful too. If you have to add something then add tuna or sardines in oil or raw egg. Tinned food isn't good for them either.

Not really. That tinned stuff is awful too. If you have to add something then add tuna or sardines in oil or raw egg. Tinned food isn't good for them either.

Dang....well tomorrow I can start adding eggs to his meals and see what we can get as an alternative to tinned food. This would explain allot anyways. I feel bad I was giving him such bad food!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Find a pet shop and have look a their dog food section. You will see loads of brands you wont recognise but probably none of the stuff you see at the supermarkets.. Most of the stuff you see in the supermarkets is rubbish and personally I dont like tinned dog food (most owners dont use it either). Vets also normally stock decent dog food so also talk to them..

Personally I like Royal Canin but there are others. If you dog is being fussy adjusting to the new food and a tin of tuna or sardines in oil and pour the oil over the feed. They love it.. A raw egg in their food every now and again (I give them one a couple of times a week) is also good for them. The good food is much more expencive per bag but as others pointed out you feed them less so it doesnt work out much more than the supermarket stuff..

Look at the raw food diet.. Its very good for dogs and doesnt work out that expencive but you do need room to store it and some people hate dealing with it. There is an online store but the address escapes me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Hooked

knipex wrote: »
    Look at the raw food diet.. Its very good for dogs and doesnt work out that expencive but you do need room to store it and some people hate dealing with it. There is an online store but the address escapes me at the moment.

www.dogsfirst.ie

Week 3 raw feeding a 2 year old. Difference is just unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Hooked wrote: »
    www.dogsfirst.ie

Week 3 raw feeding a 2 year old. Difference is just unreal!

Thats the one !!!!

Advertisement