Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea for Cherrywood?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

ted1 wrote: »
    I would not agree, causing congestion at a major junction. Taking business away from local villages. Etc, etc. plenty of shopping centres within a ten minute drive. Ikea a 25 minute drive

That depends on where your driving from. If you South of Bray I think its a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you take the Luas from Cherrywood to Ballyogan, you will see how much land is up there. There are two built, but unused stops before you cross the M50!

They could double the existing residential development and still build a Tesco and IKEA superstore

The land is well spoken for,this shows you the scope of the Cherrywood plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

South/South East Dublin needs high quality residential housing with good amenities and transport links far more than it does a new Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    That depends on where your driving from. If you South of Bray I think its a great idea.

If you like being able to drive out of bray, an IKEA at that junction would kill traffic stone dead. Rush hour traffic stretched across the whole day? If that's what floats your boat...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you like being able to drive out of bray, an IKEA at that junction would kill traffic stone dead. Rush hour traffic stretched across the whole day? If that's what floats your boat...

There was a customs and Gardai road block at rush hour traffic this morning coming off the M50. No noticeable difference to traffic. Again, Ballymum exit from M50 which is no bigger than Cherrywood is not gridlocked at any time. Rush hour traffic at rush hour at Cherrywood is nothing too troublesome. No reason to expect it would get any worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

During my time working for Tesco it was talked about but ultimately rejected and Ballybrack received a facelift instead.

I can't see traffic being that big an issue, it's a big junction with 3 lanes on the slips and would be free flowing into the store. The N11 / Wyatville road would be more of a problem given the terrible light timings there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I believe Dunnes were meant to be a tenant in cherrywood. A lot of time particular in good times stores would open to block competitors from opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Traffic argument is ridiculous. I drive through that exit every single day both ways at a range of times, there is no traffic. And as it stands they have extra exits off the link road built with lanes that are currently closed. The area is massive and currently provides no social function. You can't play or walk dogs, it's not grassy, it's muddy, rocky and fenced off.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Traffic argument is ridiculous. I drive through that exit every single day both ways at a range of times, there is no traffic. And as it stands they have extra exits off the link road built with lanes that are currently closed. The area is massive and currently provides no social function. You can't play or walk dogs, it's not grassy, it's muddy, rocky and fenced off.

Actually it's not fenced off, you can walk into it past the luas tracks. Plenty of people walk dogs up there, and all along the green corridor either side of the tracks, down to the stream. Plenty of wildlife around by Tully church (rabbits, frogs, even saw a deer once). I must have been dreaming while I took my kids adventuring around there if you're right and there's nowhere for them to play. It's a sad reflection when people's idea of "social function" is "plenty of space to drive on and a massive soulless concrete barn where you can buy something you don't actually need". Maybe one of the reasons housing is in demand around that area is because unlike Ikea's other location, it isn't blighted by massive industrial parks?

Equally, if there's no traffic around that area I must have been seeing things when the roundabout and the road into dun laoghaire was clogged up every day for an hour or more every evening and morning. Clearly adding a hyper mart to one side of that isn't going to affect traffic at all... Traffic southbound regularly backs up almost as far as that exit, and will go back even further if there's anything wrong at bray. The m50 slip is 500 metres southbound and 900m northbound. The equivalent at ballymun is 1.5km northbound and southbound so yes, I think the traffic would be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Morning traffic between 8.15 and 9.15 frequently backs up the Wyattville Link Road back to the M50 to a point roughly where the unused junction into the open land is. If you added IKEA traffic to that you would be looking at gridlock every morning and evening 6 maybe 7 days a week. The Cherrywood interchange to the M50 does not have the capacity to cope with that.

When IKEA opened in Ballymun they were forced to wait until the M50 upgrade was completed to Ballymun to allow for 3 lanes and a free flow interchange, which explains the relative ease with which you can access IKEA over there. It would be a totally different story at Cherrywood with the road access as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Morning traffic between 8.15 and 9.15 frequently backs up the Wyattville Link Road back to the M50 to a point roughly where the unused junction into the open land is. If you added IKEA traffic to that you would be looking at gridlock every morning and evening 6 maybe 7 days a week. The Cherrywood interchange to the M50 does not have the capacity to cope with that.

When IKEA opened in Ballymun they were forced to wait until the M50 upgrade was completed to Ballymun to allow for 3 lanes and a free flow interchange, which explains the relative ease with which you can access IKEA over there. It would be a totally different story at Cherrywood with the road access as it is.

IKEA doesn't open until 10am.

IKEA doesn't open until 10am.

Currently. At its existing location. Because of planning restrictions put in place to manage traffic. Following a road upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Makes absolutely no sense for IKEA to open another shop in Dublin.

Surely, it would make far more sense to have one shop in the south and one in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

reprazant wrote: »

Surely, it would make far more sense to have one shop in the south and one in Dublin.

I'd love it if they did, but I really cant see the need. I would have thought Mallow side of Cork would be best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You must know something the IKEA people don't. It's them pushing the proposal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You must know something the IKEA people don't. It's them pushing the proposal...

Right sorry, I probably should have IMO before the sentence to make it more obvious that it was just my opinion that it makes no sense.

Other than for people coming up the N11 or that live around it, it makes no sense to have another huge shop in Dublin. The majority of people people not coming down the M1 are going to hit the M50 and then decide which one to go to?

IMO, it would make a lot more sense to have one in Cork (afaik they looked at two places there, one in Mallow, one in Middlton) which would cater for most of the south of the country, the one in Ballymum for the west, midlands and east and the one in Belfast for the northern counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

How long is it likely to be before a decision is made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The Dublin ikea is one of the top 10 in the world for sales. Like Ireland has 4,5 million fairly high income people who don't buy second hand furniture. Irish weee scheme the electrical recycling is twice the eu average as Irish people won't buy second hand electrical goods.

Most cities in Germany the size of Irelands population would have 2/3 ikeas

Actually it's not fenced off, you can walk into it past the luas tracks. Plenty of people walk dogs up there, and all along the green corridor either side of the tracks, down to the stream. Plenty of wildlife around by Tully church (rabbits, frogs, even saw a deer once).

I think its a specifically different area that they are looking to build on then the one in the direction of carrickmines you're walking the dogs and bringing the kids. You could fit an IKEA pretty handily on the big gravelly rocky wasteland that exists already.
    Equally, if there's no traffic around that area I must have been seeing things when the roundabout and the road into dun laoghaire was clogged up every day for an hour or more every evening and morning.

I have to be in college at 8 on a Thursday, 9 on a Friday, 10 on a Monday and 12 on a Wednesday. I come home at an equally wonderful range of rush hour times, finishing at 4 on a Monday, 5 on a Friday and 6 on a Thursday. With the exception of last weeks multi car pile up on the M11 I have never experienced any traffic to note at Cherrywood. In fact today joining the motorway I think for the first time in my life I almost didn't get through the lights first time.

EDIT: I decided to compare the two sites, just to show you that none of the greenery would be effected by the construction of the IKEA. What I have done is taken two screenshots of google maps satelight photos from the same height. I have generously marked the space around the IKEA in Ballymun, and copy and pasted the exact same rectangle onto the wasteland in cherrywood. It fits no bother on that empty gravelly bit, I also don't think its gonna need to be as big as the other one. I think its an eye sore, but that's the only reason I'd oppose it.

Seems to be some activity up there at the moment, I see a tower crane as being moved to site and a excavator working away. The link road by brides glen luas stop has/ is being handed over to the council.

Not IKEA related but good to see activity

• Advertisement

Seems to be some activity up there at the moment, I see a tower crane as being moved to site and a excavator working away. The link road by brides glen luas stop has/ is being handed over to the council.

Not IKEA related but good to see activity

They've been excavating for a few days, didn't notice the tower crane though.

parked on the back of trucks just up from the luas at bridesglen. looks like it'll be going up soon.

This site shows the zoning, kids will go mad if the cows are moved ;)

http://www.cherrywoodbusinesspark.com/town_centre_location.html

I think its a specifically different area that they are looking to build on then the one in the direction of carrickmines you're walking the dogs and bringing the kids. You could fit an IKEA pretty handily on the big gravelly rocky wasteland that exists already.

Ikea is one part of what is being proposed for the area.

I have to be in college at 8 on a Thursday, 9 on a Friday, 10 on a Monday and 12 on a Wednesday. I come home at an equally wonderful range of rush hour times, finishing at 4 on a Monday, 5 on a Friday and 6 on a Thursday. With the exception of last weeks multi car pile up on the M11 I have never experienced any traffic to note at Cherrywood. In fact today joining the motorway I think for the first time in my life I almost didn't get through the lights first time.

So on only one morning a week are you likely to go through the junction at rush hour? (as one other poster pointed out, 8-9ish). And one day a week you're going back between around 5-6ish? On this basis you assert that there's "never" any rush hour traffic?

To compare, rush hour traffic (5-6 southbound and 8-9 northbound) on the m50/m11 merge is always horrible. You are guaranteed to sit in traffic for 20 minutes at least. If you arrive 10 minutes before or afterwards, the road is fairly clear. That doesn't mean there is no potential traffic issue at that merge.
    EDIT: I decided to compare the two sites, just to show you that none of the greenery would be effected by the construction of the IKEA. What I have done is taken two screenshots of google maps satelight photos from the same height. I have generously marked the space around the IKEA in Ballymun, and copy and pasted the exact same rectangle onto the wasteland in cherrywood. It fits no bother on that empty gravelly bit, I also don't think its gonna need to be as big as the other one. I think its an eye sore, but that's the only reason I'd oppose it.

Read my original post, I used to live there, I'm well aware of the location and size of the site. An Ikea building would certainly physically fit inside the site. However, the junction (particularly southbound) cannot handle the extra traffic.

If the rest of the Cherrywood development plan goes ahead, then that area is going to turn into a quagmire of traffic that will make Sandyford look like a quiet country road in the scottish borders. Look at the parked cars that already blight the road leading down to the Luas stop. Add in thousands of houses and an Ikea and you think that's going to improve? The building site is horrible but left to its own devices it'll all grow over. Putting an Ikea there is unnecessary from a shopping point of view and not, I believe, in the area's interests.

I'll admit that I missed the part where you were talking about the wider development as opposed to purely the Ikea.

I was just talking about the Ikea here, if they do plan on developing it to the 150,000 person mini city they were talking about 8 years ago then I'd presume we'd be getting a fully upgraded clover leaf junction onto the M50 both in Cherrywood and Carrickmines.

As for the present, I maintain that there is hardly every any traffic on that route, as another poster said Ikea opens at 10 like many stores, I really don't see it being a problem.

hfallada wrote: »
    The Dublin ikea is one of the top 10 in the world for sales. Like Ireland has 4,5 million fairly high income people who don't buy second hand furniture. Irish weee scheme the electrical recycling is twice the eu average as Irish people won't buy second hand electrical goods.

Most cities in Germany the size of Irelands population would have 2/3 ikeas

Well if the Ballymun Ikea is in the top 10 in the world for sales, then clearly there's no potential traffic increase by building another one... It'll be empty... right?

:rolleyes:

Why is having 2/3 ikea's something we want to aim for? How does it benefit us, really? Lots more easily broken needless tat in people's houses? Has the recession taught us nothing?

I'll admit that I missed the part where you were talking about the wider development as opposed to purely the Ikea.

I was just talking about the Ikea here, if they do plan on developing it to the 150,000 person mini city they were talking about 8 years ago then I'd presume we'd be getting a fully upgraded clover leaf junction onto the M50 both in Cherrywood and Carrickmines.

As for the present, I maintain that there is hardly every any traffic on that route, as another poster said Ikea opens at 10 like many stores, I really don't see it being a problem.

Remember that these plans are being proposed by the developer of the business park on the opposite side of the road. Which has been a ghost town since its original anchor tenants moved in at the beginning, and has failed to let out any additional office space, even in the boom times. Who can't even get organised enough (or more likely is too cheap) to pave the car parks attached to the offices which have been let out.

Assuming this plan gets the green light, gets funded, and gets built, it'll be one of the most low rent, build-it-cheap fiascos seen since the days when Liffey Valley was going up. Even the developer's own sanitised renderings can't cover up the fact that they want to build tiny townhouses clustered together in narrow laneways with no on street parking, single car garages (for a nation whose commuterville residents universally have at least 2 cars) and barely any greenery.

In their defense you can not get planning for more than 1.5 car spaces per dwelling. I imagine that due to Luas and buses that the planning will be even more restrictive.

In their defense you can not get planning for more than 1.5 car spaces per dwelling. I imagine that due to Luas and buses that the planning will be even more restrictive.

Doesn't explain why their renders clearly indicate no street parking at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

No way Ikea will build.

London has 3 ikeas but a population of 8 million people twice the population of whole of Ireland. But even tho they have 3 buildings they are about 90 minutes drive apart from each other. It would be stupid for ikea to build an other one 25 minutes down the road. If someone wants to get to ikea they will drive the extra 25 minutes to get there.

Maybe a tesco or other hypermarket but I dont think ikea will be a tenant.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    No way Ikea will build.

London has 3 ikeas but a population of 8 million people twice the population of whole of Ireland. But even tho they have 3 buildings they are about 90 minutes drive apart from each other. It would be stupid for ikea to build an other one 25 minutes down the road. If someone wants to get to ikea they will drive the extra 25 minutes to get there.

Maybe a tesco or other hypermarket but I dont think ikea will be a tenant.

Londoners relies far more on public transport and are less likely to have cars. Public transport isn't conducive to tooling around massive warehouse shops buying bulky crap. Ikea probably does more online/catalogue business there.

Advertisement