Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight Fest (Vulcan fly past)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Air Boss

Nforce wrote: »
    Low cloud base will be a no no, I'd imagine as the approach will be visual.
    Aircraft have to declare visual to do the display
    Low cloud base major problem and remeber one major obstacles on run in

EchoIndia wrote: »
    That is a distance of 2.3 nautical miles, so not a lot of distance for a jet (other than the fighters) to descend and then climb so as to make 1,700 ft - ditto for a type like the B-17, I'd say. It will be interesting to see what aircraft do so as to comply with the restriction.

Most civil aircraft are very lite and can do most things requested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Nforce wrote: »
    LiveATC phone app FTW (if Mech1 can supply the feed that is). :)

It will be there OTD :D

Airboss, any advise on the full freq list to prog for the day?

Im thinking :

118.500 clearance
    133.275 display radar
    119.600 Capital control
    118.600 Dublin tower
    121.100 Dublin approach
    119.550 Dublin approach (backup)
    122.400 Weston Tower

What you all think? maybe Departures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

Mech1 wrote: »

Im thinking :

118.500 clearance
    133.275 display radar
    119.600 Capital control
    118.600 Dublin tower
    121.100 Dublin approach
    122.400 Weston Tower

What about the Baldonnel frequencies?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

airbusa320 wrote: »
    That sounds familiar alright but I think its the Aer lingus A330 to start due to operational reasons......

Been told that too. The EI A330 needed back to operate the 1530 departure to JFK.

Frank Jnr wrote: »
    What about the Baldonnel frequencies?

Not happening im afraid, I emailed them this:

Hello,
    My name is Pat ******, and I supply the ATC feed from Dublin Airport to a website called Liveatc.net. http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw (My feed is the 1st one on that list of three).

This site lets the public / trainee pilots / real pilots etc listen on their computer or smart phone to live Air Traffic Control.

I am asking permission in this email to include your ATC transmissions in the feed for a very strictly limited time during the bray Airshow and the Dublin Flightfest show.

The freq I would want to broadcast are “Baldonnell Tower 123.500” and “122.000 Approach” and also the pilot to pilot freq that I cant remember at this moment.

These freq are easily available to anyone that owns a radio scanner to listen in on but I would love to let everyone that wants to tune in on the said days to be able to listen.

Is this possible? I know that I could just do it anyway but I don’t think that’s fair, and im not sure of the legalities of it. Maybe I would be done for treason or something lol.

Thanks for considering this, and hope to hear from you soon as the Bray Airshow is this Sunday!

Thanks again,
    Pat.

No sign of a reply.

Not happening im afraid, I emailed them this:

Hello,
    My name is Pat ******, and I supply the ATC feed from Dublin Airport to a website called Liveatc.net. http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw (My feed is the 1st one on that list of three).

This site lets the public / trainee pilots / real pilots etc listen on their computer or smart phone to live Air Traffic Control.

I am asking permission in this email to include your ATC transmissions in the feed for a very strictly limited time during the bray Airshow and the Dublin Flightfest show.

The freq I would want to broadcast are “Baldonnell Tower 123.500” and “122.000 Approach” and also the pilot to pilot freq that I cant remember at this moment.

These freq are easily available to anyone that owns a radio scanner to listen in on but I would love to let everyone that wants to tune in on the said days to be able to listen.

Is this possible? I know that I could just do it anyway but I don’t think that’s fair, and im not sure of the legalities of it. Maybe I would be done for treason or something lol.

Thanks for considering this, and hope to hear from you soon as the Bray Airshow is this Sunday!

Thanks again,
    Pat.

No sign of a reply.

Oh.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Apologies for the ingnoramus question - but can someone explain to me IF I can tune into the ATC feeds being discussed here, and if I can, HOW can I do it?

I know next to nothing about aviation and aircraft, but I'd absolutely love to be able to listen in on the chatter between the control tower and the pilots!

Ta very much, and sorry if it's a cheeky question :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Apologies for the ingnoramus question - but can someone explain to me IF I can tune into the ATC feeds being discussed here, and if I can, HOW can I do it?

I know next to nothing about aviation and aircraft, but I'd absolutely love to be able to listen in on the chatter between the control tower and the pilots!

Ta very much, and sorry if it's a cheeky question :D

I feed it, go to the link in my sig. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Heidi, also look up "flight radar 24" it shows you the live map of where aircraft are, zoom in to Irish sea area and you can see what your listening to:D

Holy God :eek:

Thanks for the link, but does it come with a glossary/dictionary??? I'm used to various other radio chatters, but that's just gobbledegook to me! And the speed of it! May need to invest time trying to figure it all out.

But thanks again!

Heidi, also look up "flight radar 24" it shows you the live map of where aircraft are, zoom in to Irish sea area and you can see what your listening to:D

Oh yes, I've got the hang of that - FlightRadar and the marine AIS are my favourite means of wasting entire evenings!!!

Thanks for the link, but does it come with a glossary/dictionary??? I'm used to various other radio chatters, but that's just gobbledegook to me! And the speed of it! May need to invest time trying to figure it all out.

But thanks again!

2 hrs listening / watching and you will get the jist of it.
    any questions just ask on the other threads
    here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056378654
    or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056970797

Cheers for all of that, Mech!

I can see a whole winter going to waste here, getting the hang of it all.

Hours of fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

But thanks again!

you'll catch on to it pretty quick, just keep listening, if you want to hear manic listen to KJFK :P

• Advertisement

shortcutting the question to keep the thread on topic

Heidi, KJFK? = http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=kjfk

Razor44 wrote: »
    you'll catch on to it pretty quick, just keep listening, if you want to hear manic listen to KJFK :P

I remember years ago watching a documentary about ATC at JFK..... it'd put you off flying for life!!! Exhausted controllers shuffling little bits of paper around a board, and then handing them on to the person next door :eek: It was shockingly low-tech. And I think I remember a statistic of a plane landing/taking off every 50 seconds? Or something equally manic. And they had a "crossroads" of the two runways.

Maybe I'm imagining the half of it, I saw it a long time ago, but I'd dearly love to see it again, it was fascinating in a slightly appalling way!

Anyway, I've dragged this thread way off topic. Thanks again for the links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

For those of us on mobile: http://www.liveatc.net/jlgui/jlisten.php?m=eidw3

I didn't know Boards have signatures, I can't see anyone's sig... =/

Im thinking :

118.500 clearance
    133.275 display radar
    119.600 Capital control
    118.600 Dublin tower
    121.100 Dublin approach
    122.400 Weston Tower

I will have a look at what else is of interest

I remember years ago watching a documentary about ATC at JFK..... it'd put you off flying for life!!! Exhausted controllers shuffling little bits of paper around a board, and then handing them on to the person next door :eek: It was shockingly low-tech. And I think I remember a statistic of a plane landing/taking off every 50 seconds? Or something equally manic. And they had a "crossroads" of the two runways.

Maybe I'm imagining the half of it, I saw it a long time ago, but I'd dearly love to see it again, it was fascinating in a slightly appalling way!

Anyway, I've dragged this thread way off topic. Thanks again for the links :)
    Strips still used
    How about HF radio for ATC on the North Atlantic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Stovepipe wrote: »
    So the Hunter and F86 will only be doing 180kts??!! At 1700 feet?? Sheesh, they might as well stay at home...

regards
    Stovepipe

Nah...make it a little more interesting for these....let them do it inverted!

:D

I remember years ago watching a documentary about ATC at JFK..... it'd put you off flying for life!!! Exhausted controllers shuffling little bits of paper around a board, and then handing them on to the person next door :eek: It was shockingly low-tech. .....

Look up Airport Live on youtube. 4 part live documentary broadcast recently. They had full access to the ATC tower. All touchscreens and digital maps. Really interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KdbmEwu40g

It's as if they knew......!

Interview with two ATC's from Dublin Airport on the John Murray show this morning. With a mention near the end of the Flight Fest and the pop-up ATC tower on the quays. From about 20 mins in.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10192372%3A0%3A%3A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭Bsal

Just wondering will this go ahead even if the weather is poor, will it be dependent on cloud base, visibility etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Some times low tech does the job just fine. Automation doesn't always mean more efficient or reliable, especially when relating to patterns. The USS Nimitz uses plane outlines, drawing pins, nuts and bolts on a table map of the deck for Flight Deck Control [ref Nat Geo Big,Bigger,Biggest - Aircraft Carriers] . Besides that what has to be done when, not if, the systems go down or misbehave.

Bsal wrote: »
    Just wondering will this go ahead even if the weather is poor, will it be dependent on cloud base, visibility etc..?
    If weather is bad no display

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

Air Boss wrote: »
    If weather is bad no display

That would be the biggest disappointment ever! Especially to all the people who have sweated their arses off organising it.
    I hope in the name of jeysus, Irish weather will be nice to us all

robclay26 wrote: »
    That would be the biggest disappointment ever! Especially to all the people who have sweated their arses off organising it.
    I hope in the name of jeysus, Irish weather will be nice to us all
    Yes I agree
    Vis 5 Kms
    Cloud ceiling 2,000feet
    Safety has to be taken into account
    Historic data indicate we should be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

In the unfortunate event that the safety factors come into play and the fly past is cancelled would there be an alternative date on the cards?
    Would the Vulcan be involved if the alternative date was to be used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

It's as if they knew......!

Interview with two ATC's from Dublin Airport on the John Murray show this morning. With a mention near the end of the Flight Fest and the pop-up ATC tower on the quays. From about 20 mins in.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10192372%3A0%3A%3A

They did very well in explaining it all to a lay audience and politely countered the presenter's perception that "drama" and tension must attach to all things aviation.

• Advertisement

gumbo1 wrote: »
    In the unfortunate event that the safety factors come into play and the fly past is cancelled would there be an alternative date on the cards?
    Would the Vulcan be involved if the alternative date was to be used?
    No plan B sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

No plan B sorry

gotta have a plan B,C and D!!

Tenger wrote: »
    Look up Airport Live on youtube. 4 part live documentary broadcast recently. They had full access to the ATC tower. All touchscreens and digital maps. Really interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KdbmEwu40g

I don't know whether I should thank you or curse you for this!

Just watched all four, and apart from wanting to kill the main presenter and her flapping hands, it was really really interesting.

Now trying to unsquare my eyes from it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

No plan B sorry

absence of plan b and an apology doesn't normally cut it with atc management...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Will all the aircraft, be taking off and landing in Dublin airport??

chem wrote: »
    Will all the aircraft, be taking off and landing in Dublin airport??

No. Some from DUB, some from Baldonnell, some from Weston, and the rest popping over from UK then back again.

At this point we may need a new thread with all the up to date info in the first post. Mods?

EDIT: sorry, forgot Weston in first draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

And some from Weston I believe

DHL B767 will be aB757
    but not to worry a
    B767 will also be there

DHL B767 will be aB757
    but not to worry a
    B767 will also be there

The 757 will be nice, but a 747 would be even nicer :)

• Advertisement

Frank Jnr wrote: »
    The 757 will be nice, but a 747 would be even nicer :)
    I agree we tried but just two operators in UK/Ireland and one is already giving us the A380

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I cannot wait for this!! Fair play to whoever organised it, it's going to be spectacular.....

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    I cannot wait for this!! Fair play to whoever organised it, it's going to be spectacular.....
    Expect at least one more big add

I agree we tried but just two operators in UK/Ireland and one is already giving us the A380

I know, just messing :-)

Thanks for all the other aircraft by the way, should be a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Doin me powerboat training on the 15th so ill have a great view of the planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jpb7

I take it you can't be more specific
    So a slight hint would be much Apreciated so is it ....

(A)Big in SIZE e.g (AN-225)
    (B)Big regarding rarity e.g(Lancaster)
    (C)Big in exclusivity (Boeing 787)

Am I warm ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

Are DHL bringing both the 757 and the 767.
    Could the other big aircraft be USAF transit traffic.
    This is going to be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll bet (and hope) on the B787...........

So from the initial 30 we now have more like 40 planned. That 2 hour flypast is becoming more like 3 hours.......assuming 2 passes by each a/c at 5 min intervals....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Tenger wrote: »
    So from the initial 30 we now have more like 40 planned. That 2 hour flypast is becoming more like 3 hours.......assuming 2 passes by each a/c at 5 min intervals....

Depends on whether each aircraft has to complete its routine before the next one or if they can interleave aircraft of similar performance so that there aren't such long intervals in activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

Thomson 787 maybe

• Advertisement
Advertisement