Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight Fest (Vulcan fly past)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Katunga wrote: »
    Thomson 787 maybe
    That was my first guess too. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Jpb7 wrote: »
    I take it you can't be more specific
    So a slight hint would be much Apreciated so is it ....

(A)Big in SIZE e.g (AN-225)
    (B)Big regarding rarity e.g(Lancaster)
    (C)Big in exclusivity (Boeing 787)

Am I warm ??

4 Merlins roaring above Dublin would be pretty cool....Dear Santa,.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Air Boss wrote: »
    If weather is bad no display

Surprising that this whole thing predicates on the weather playing ball and there's no back up, I mean we're talking about Ireland here where the weather is crappy most of the time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

bombs away wrote: »
    Surprising that this whole thing predicates on the weather playing ball and there's no back up, I mean we're talking about Ireland here where the weather is crappy most of the time.

With that opinion why bother trying to organise this at all!

There can't be any back-up as there is no airfield sufficient to allow ground displays.
    Most of the planned aircraft are very much in demand, perhaps September was the only time they were free to make it to Dublin. (I'm looking at you Vulcan, Hunter, F-86, StrikeMaster, B-17G)
    The BA A380 will no longer be available for display after September either.

Historically Sept weather is not too bad. So stop the moaning, and think dry, clear skies, no low cloud thoughts!!!

Tenger wrote: »
    With that opinion why bother trying to organise this at all!

There can't be any back-up as there is no airfield sufficient to allow ground displays.
    Most of the planned aircraft are very much in demand, perhaps September was the only time they were free to make it to Dublin. (I'm looking at you Vulcan, Hunter, F-86, StrikeMaster, B-17G)
    The BA A380 will no longer be available for display after September either.

Historically Sept weather is not too bad. So stop the moaning, and think dry, clear skies, no low cloud thoughts!!!

Ah it'll be grand. At least it's on Sunday 15th. It could have been two days earlier on Friday the 13th :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Do you understand how much work and money goes into organising an air display or even ANY major event. You can't just have a back up date. It's everything or nothing that's the way these things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Air Boss

urajoke wrote: »
    Do you understand how much work and money goes into organising an air display or even ANY major event. You can't just have a back up date. It's everything or nothing that's the way these things work.

Correct. These aircraft are contracted for a fixed time if we cancel we lose the deposit and it it’s impossible to move to another date.

USAF may be busy on the 15th elsewhere but still hopeful but the US will not be happy if any anti US protests appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

Correct. These aircraft are contracted for a fixed time if we cancel we lose the deposit and it it’s impossible to move to another date.

USAF may be busy on the 15th elsewhere but still hopeful but the US will not be happy if any anti US protests appear.

Lets hope the assholes stay at home and let the families and organisers enjoy the day with out stupid "stop the war bla bla hug the tee's" idiots ruining it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I hope they don't appear either, but no doubt there will be some group of gob****es out.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

be nice to see them, but tbh, if people want to protest they can lads...theres not you can do about it.

• Advertisement

Razor44 wrote: »
    be nice to see them, but tbh, if people want to protest they can lads...theres not you can do about it.

True. Hopefully it won't happen. If they do want to protest then the Flight Fest is neither the time nor the place seeing as it is pretty obvious that it will be primarily civilian aircraft involved.

Of course they are entitled to protest if they wish to do so. However if they want to protest, then a peaceful protest at the US Embassy would be less selfish and disruptive, and would not potentially spoil a nice family day out for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jpb7

I was wondering how long it would take before the glass half empty doom and gloom trolls would start posting!!!!

Some things worth noting.doom n gloom Merchants!!!!

We're not talking about some "Fly by night"(pardon the pun ) event group organising this flyby (who can forget MACH 1)

We're talking about the IAA who control thousands of aircraft not to mention traffic from the United States on a weekly basis so id put my faith in them anyday

There are a LOT of sponsored parties backing this event

As far as I can remember we've had the driest 6 months in over 3 years with the odd exception in other areas outside Dublin
    anyway September has been always a save bet weather wise in Ireland

Don't forget this is only a FLYPAST! there are no aerobatic manoeuvres involved, so cloud base shouldn't realy be a issue id would be more concerned about visibility under VFR RULES on the day (coastal Fog)

I'm allowing for no shows !that's the nature of air displays even shows as large as RIAT have had cancellations

So there you have it doom n gloom trolls

anyway if half of the published aircraft turn up ill be a happy man
    Remember it'll be good PR for the airlines too so it's in their best interest to show up!

AND IT'S FREE!!!!!!!!!!

rant over!

Im glad that the organizers have just gone and done this, like any show there is risk involved, fingers crossed and dragon sea gods allowing Flight fest will go off with out a hitch! B)

the mix of aircraft so far is fantastic imo and can only get better with late additions

Just as a matter of interest has any of the formation teams been approached Red Arrows / Blades ect

what better way to end the flypast than to have an A380/Vulcan flypast flanked by the Red Arrows its been done before on many an occasion so they would have it down to a fine are by now
    I know its a big ask , but not beyond the relims of impossibility me thinks ! :-)

Just as a matter of interest has any of the formation teams been approached Red Arrows / Blades ect

what better way to end the flypast than to have an A380/Vulcan flypast flanked by the Red Arrows its been done before on many an occasion so they would have it down to a fine are by now
    I know its a big ask , but not beyond the relims of impossibility me thinks ! :-)

the red arrows would need to be booked a year in advance afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Maybe the park to the right of the East Link might be a good spot. Might scratch Trinity from my plans as they'll be at 1700ft by the Customs House.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Maybe the park to the right of the East Link might be a good spot. Might scratch Trinity from my plans as they'll be at 1700ft by the Customs House.

I was thinking of the Irish Ferries terminal but I'd say there would be rescritions in that area to facilitate passengers on the day the aircraft would still be at 1700 or maybe they'll start their decent by then anyway were gettin 2 runs so it may give you time to reposition If your a "happy Snapper "like me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

I was thinking about North Bull Island myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

There or by the o2 would seem to be the best place to see them at their lowest, but if my maths are right it will only take 45 seconds for them to fly from Poolbeg to Talbot bridge @ 180kts. If they have to be at 1700ft at both those places, it doesn't leave much time to get down to 800ft and back up again.

Looking forward to seeing the Vulcan. Saw it do a full display at Middle Wallop in the UK around 1991/92. Have never forgotten the sound of the engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Lustrum

What we need is one aircraft to fly the route, on a specified date and time known only to the readers of this thread (kudos to Air Boss for everything he has shared already) so that we can all take our spots and report back as to where the best one is!

I've a roof between the river and grand canal dock so hoping its just perfect!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

bumper234 wrote: »
    Grand canal dock ;)
    Lustrum wrote: »

Lads..sharing is caring :(

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭airbusa320

RV-7,S by 2 added aka Gerry Humphreys and Eddie Goggins
    Lets hope for some nice weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Tenger wrote: »

I would have thought both Dublin and Baldonnel would be perfectly sufficient to allow static displays.
    urajoke wrote: »

I was'nt talking about a back up date nor do I recall mentioning that anywhere in my post, what I was referring to is a ground display if the weather does not play ball. You guys are putting an awful lot of faith and money in the weather being ok on the day and while I really hope it is there is the chance that it might not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Gerry Adams and the shinners would love that!!

edit: joke! Obviously some didn't see it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

that's the right idea. anyone who's ever been to an airshow would realise you need to be a few hundred feet back from the flightline to see anything other than the underside of the things.

How about a parachute jump into the river early in the show ????

What we need is one aircraft to fly the route, on a specified date and time known only to the readers of this thread (kudos to Air Boss for everything he has shared already) so that we can all take our spots and report back as to where the best one is!

Great location for you
    Maybe a test flight will keep you updated

I would have thought both Dublin and Baldonnel would be perfectly sufficient to allow static displays.

I was'nt talking about a back up date nor do I recall mentioning that anywhere in my post, what I was referring to is a ground display if the weather does not play ball. You guys are putting an awful lot of faith and money in the weather being ok on the day and while I really hope it is there is the chance that it might not be.

Dublin Airport have a busy Sunday schedule and we have promised close to normal operations so they would not allow a static display at DUB.
    As regards BAL they would not do it at short notice --Sorry but it is an airborne show or nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Would there be any possibility of Ireland hosting a static display air show like Farnborough or PAS although not up to their standards? I don't mean this year or next year but in the foreseeable future?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

QUOTE=Air Boss;86296124]Dublin Airport have a busy Sunday schedule and we have promised close to normal operations so they would not allow a static display at DUB.
    As regards BAL they would not do it at short notice --Sorry but it is an airborne show or nothing[/QUOTE]

If there was any kind of a static display at Baldonnel, you can guarantee it wouldn't be open to the public........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    QUOTE=Air Boss;86296124]Dublin Airport have a busy Sunday schedule and we have promised close to normal operations so they would not allow a static display at DUB.
    As regards BAL they would not do it at short notice --Sorry but it is an airborne show or nothing

If there was any kind of a static display at Baldonnel, you can guarantee it wouldn't be open to the public........[/quote]
    But there was back in the late 90's and a few years before too. I was there. It was awesome and i was beside an A-10. Man thats a beast! I stuck my head into the exhaust of a mirage 2000 too! Ah the memories. They need to do it again.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Would there be any possibility of Ireland hosting a static display air show like Farnborough or PAS although not up to their standards? I don't mean this year or next year but in the foreseeable future?
    Not a bad idea
    Location would be important
    BAL or SNN spring to mind
    Dublin too busy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Not a bad idea
    Location would be important
    BAL or SNN spring to mind
    Dublin too busy

BALs a no no not after the mess that was left after the last air show that was had there. Airfield was closed for 24+ hrs and ALL mil personnel assigned to clean up the litter (should have been done by the civil organisers). After that one they said NEVER again.

shedweller wrote: »
    If there was any kind of a static display at Baldonnel, you can guarantee it wouldn't be open to the public........
    But there was back in the late 90's and a few years before too. I was there. It was awesome and i was beside an A-10. Man thats a beast! I stuck my head into the exhaust of a mirage 2000 too! Ah the memories. They need to do it again.[/QUOTE]
    Yes I was there if my memory is not faulty Aer Turas CL44 was there
    A10 was fantastic - did ask but

But I have a plan for him
    Low tide on 15th September pm
    Restriction applies above MSL(mean sea level)
    If he keeps his head down he should be OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

But I have a plan for him
    Low tide on 15th September pm
    Restriction applies above MSL(mean sea level)
    If he keeps his head down he should be OK

Particularly if he is transponder equipped.

I think there is a sale on transponders in Lidl next week so I might pick one up for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

keith16 wrote: »

I think there is a sale on transponders in Lidl next week so I might pick one up for him.

MOL already bought them all.

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »

I have a plan for that too he just has to say that he has one and didn't know it was US will get him 24 hr exemption

MOL already bought them all.
    But it is an extra charge to turn it on

Full list of aircraft:

1185778_292900387517056_458597921_n.jpg

Posted by Flightfest on facebook a few minutes ago.

Edit: I JUST NOTICED THE FORBIDDEN AIR CORPS TYPO AND JUST WANT TO SAY AGAIN THAT I DIDN'T MAKE THIS BEFORE YOU ALL JUMP ON ME.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Full list of aircraft:

1185778_292900387517056_458597921_n.jpg
    Well done but I hope by 15th one or more interesting aircraft

Evening Herald bottom P18 interesting competition involving the B17 - no not a free trip in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

Evening Herald bottom P18 interesting competition involving the B17 - no not a free trip in it.

Competition to win it? :)

Syria might get its own flightfest tonight or tomorrow
    A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

How about a parachute jump into the river early in the show ????

Better yet. All TDs & Senators in the back of the C130. Ramp down. Nose up. A**holes away :D

Looks like the Lord Mayor went for a spin on one of the RV-7s.

1236788_293168707490224_1229193539_n.jpg

I'm actually loving the frequent social media updates, keep up the good work guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Manuel

I need to clear this up before traveling ... won't most of us be just looking up at the underbelly of these beautiful planes?

Advertisement