Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight Fest (Vulcan fly past)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Manuel wrote: »
    I need to clear this up before traveling ... won't most of us be just looking up at the underbelly of these beautiful planes?

Depends on where you view from

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Manuel wrote: »
    ... won't most of us be just looking up at the underbelly of these beautiful planes?

That's what I have been thinking too for a while!

Even those with aparent great vantage points along the quays (access to apartment balconies and office roof tops, etc.), if a/c are at 800ft, at their lowest, it will pretty much be an underbelly show?

Any suggestions of good vantage points back a little bit from the Liffey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's what I have been thinking too for a while!

Even those with aparent great vantage points along the quays (access to apartment balconies and office roof tops, etc.), if a/c are at 800ft, at their lowest, it will pretty much be an underbelly show?

Any suggestions of good vantage points back a little bit from the Liffey?

IMO anywhere 100m to 400m back from the Liffey should give you a good view

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

SachaJ wrote: »
    IMO anywhere 100m to 400m back from the Liffey should give you a good view

That's what I was thinking...probably the later (maybe 200m to 400m mark) considering the wingspan of an A380 is approx. 80m and probably the Liffey, near the Custom House would not be significantly wider, viewing from the Quays (with the mssess) may lead to some disappointment (and a sore neck)!

Just to note...I am not giving out! The Flight Fest is a fantastic idea and hats off to the those who initiated it and the organisers...but...just wondering now is it in the right place?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Guinness Store House in the Glass Room up high anyone?

• Advertisement

Too far away from the action I'd suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

The aircraft will have turned and climbed well before the Storehouse, they will be up high at the Custom House.

Ringsend Park?

Ringsend Park?

Possibly...was thinking of somewhere like that myself.

Just to put in persepective, If viewing from the Quays. Liberty Hall is just under 200ft high (approx. 195ft IIRC). Aircraft, at their lowest, will be at 800ft!

My neck feels really sore now! :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ringsend Park?

I'm thinking this is going to be a great spot. (Reasonably) Uncluttered surroundings, away from the crowds, offset to allow side view, perfect to catch the a/c descend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Both the Gibson and Marker hotels have rooftop bars and are a little back from the quays, might be worth seeing if they'll be open for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Rascasse wrote: »
    Both the Gibson and Marker hotels have rooftop bars and are a little back from the quays, might be worth seeing if they'll be open for it.

Beer and Flightfest sounds like heaven :O so........ tempting :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jpb7

I'm heading of to Alexandra road towards the Irish Ferry terminal i dont know how to post t a picture pic to show you all but were im gonna place my arse at least you'll get a side view if most of the aircraft ....
    Anyway think of the noise!!!!!!!! The Vulcan howl......... if you've never seen the Vulcan brfore your in for a treat

Also I'm assuming that some of the pilots may perform a kind of " wave or wing tilt as they pass by it depend too if your a "watcher or a "snapper"

which brings me to crowd control gripes !

I hope the A FRAME SUPER 800mm lens jocks don't ruin it for the rest of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Jpb7 wrote: »
    I'm heading of to Alexandra road towards the Irish Ferry terminal i dont know how to post t a picture pic to show you all but were im gonna place my arse at least you'll get a side view if most of the aircraft ....
    Anyway think of the noise!!!!!!!! The Vulcan howl......... if you've never seen the Vulcan brfore your in for a treat

Also I'm assuming that some of the pilots may perform a kind of " wave or wing tilt as they pass by it depend too if your a "watcher or a "snapper"

Agreed. I know it may sound elitist (and I certainly don't mean it to) but wouldn't it be nice to have a dedicated spotters area for those of us who do this year round. Being honest I'd happily pay to get into such an area if it meant I could set up my camera without being jostled in the middle of a large crowd.

I know it's not going to happen, just a thought.

radar0976 wrote: »
    Agreed. I know it may sound elitist (and I certainly don't mean it to) but wouldn't it be nice to have a dedicated spotters area for those of us who do this year round. Being honest I'd happily pay to get into such an area if it meant I could set up my camera without being jostled in the middle of a large crowd.

I know it's not going to happen, just a thought.

Agreed

On a worrying note ..
    any fan of the PBY CATALINA will have seen the PORTRUSH AIRSHOW Facebook page at the weekend
    The Catalina had engine trouble and pulled out off the Sunday display

I hope. This little blip doesn't put them off coming to Dublin :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Agreed

On a worrying note ..
    any fan of the PBY CATALINA will have seen the PORTRUSH AIRSHOW Facebook page at the weekend
    The Catalina had engine trouble and pulled out off the Sunday display

I hope. This little blip doesn't put them off coming to Dublin :-(
    The Vulcan had an issue at the weekend too(fuel leak iirc) that meant it had to pull out of the Doncaster show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Beware that the harbour police don't really encourage people into the port area, including Alexandra Road - I imagine that access will be controlled on that day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I was thinking of heading over to Ringsend Park myself. That or the abandoned dry docks on the Grand Canal.

Just spotted on Facebook that an RAF C130 Herc will participate too.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Beware that the harbour police don't really encourage people into the port area, including Alexandra Road - I imagine that access will be controlled on that day.

I thought that too
    so I was thinking rather than turning right (if you know the area) that will take you to the passanger terminal and you will probable told to move
    I was thinking if you don't turn right and keep going straight ahead you will eventually run out of road and you have a grass verge and rocks and a clear view of the "Chimmneys"
    with the entrance where the aircraft will be cleared for approach
    I've been there before waiting on a passanger and killing some time trouble is though the trade off is the altitude at 1700 that's pretty high

Also the A380 pilot I think Is planning an interesting departure from the flypast so I reckon the Vulcan pilot could perform his signature "wing over manoeuvre

• Advertisement

I thought that too
    so I was thinking rather than turning right (if you know the area) that will take you to the passanger terminal and you will probable told to move
    I was thinking if you don't turn right and keep going straight ahead you will eventually run out of road and you have a grass verge and rocks and a clear view of the "Chimmneys"
    with the entrance where the aircraft will be cleared for approach
    I've been there before waiting on a passanger and killing some time trouble is though the trade off is the altitude at 1700 that's pretty high

Also the A380 pilot I think Is planning an interesting departure from the flypast so I reckon the Vulcan pilot could perform his signature "wing over manoeuvre

Indeed but I suspect that all access to the port area (i.e. at Alexandra Road, Promenade and at Tolka Quay Road) will be controlled to only those who have business in the port.

In other words I doubt you will get beyond East Wall Road.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Indeed but I suspect that all access to the port area (i.e. at Alexandra Road, Promenade and at Tolka Quay Road) will be controlled to only those who have business in the port.

In other words I doubt you will get beyond East Wall Road.

I'm lucky enough to be near a dart station so if that's the case then I might not risk it and just get to connoly then I can decide.....
    So i get the Luas towards the O2???? or stay at memorial bridge it gonna be STUFFED if the weather is as good as the past few days !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Im relying on you guys for "quality" vids and pics, I will be stuck here at the puter making sure the feed stays up and locking out uninteresting freq etc.

But you have your fun im ok:mad:

Only joking im gonna love my job for the day:D
    we should have a few close encounters with the flights passing here anyway.

looking for a new Highest Listener record as well so be sure to tune in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Tenger wrote: »
    I'm thinking this is going to be a great spot. (Reasonably) Uncluttered surroundings, away from the crowds, offset to allow side view, perfect to catch the a/c descend...

The only thing is the park is surrounded by high trees that will limit any views of the aircraft, I don't think the chimneys are even visible from inside the park..

westdub wrote: »
    The only thing is the park is surrounded by high trees that will limit any views of the aircraft, I don't think the chimneys are even visible from inside the park..

Haven't been there since I was about 6-7 years old, so I haven't a clue what it's like at the minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Keep the suggestions for viewing spots coming! I want to avoid town / crowds if possible!

Will have my one year old son with me, not sure if he will need ear-muffs?

I'm thinking to head down to Sandymound strand....really not sure...

The beach south of the chimneys ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

urajoke wrote: »

That could be a very good shout.... low tide is at 1.10pm, so lots of beach to walk on, and should be fairly easy to access.

I may even consider foregoing my brother's fifth-floor balcony on the south quays in favour of it, given the opinions expressed lately......!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

You might see a few photographers down there....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Air Boss

Mech1 wrote: »
    looking for a new Highest Listener record as well so be sure to tune in!
    Mech1
    A technical question
    Will the Flight Fest frequencies but separate to Dublin frequencies or on the same feed
    and Tks for all your effort you are a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

http://youtu.be/PTDYcuoOKkM

BBC TV programme about the Vulcan raid on
    the Falklands in 1992. Sometimes hilarious,
    sometimes breath-taking.

Never seen a 'tin triangle' up close and always wanted to.
    Can't wait :)

So just to confirm a few things....
    • by the chimneys the aircraft must be on the flight path heading for the Liffey
    • by the chimneys do they have to be at 800ft or is it 800ft by the Eastlink bridge?
    • they will be at 800ft until Samual Beckett bridge
    • by the Customs House they will have climbed to 1700ft
    • after the customs house they will commence a left hand turn towards Dun Laoghaire

So I'm guessing the Vulcan will get louder after Samual Beckett.....

Air Boss wrote: »
    Mech1
    A technical question
    Will the Flight Fest frequencies but separate to Dublin frequencies or on the same feed
    and Tks for all your effort you are a legend

Only the one feed available im afraid, so on the day we will be dropping lots of the current freq in order to concentrate on the flightfest ones.

I imagine some of the current lot will be staying in as they will be directing show traffic to the event. But the likes of op's and the "upper level" stuff will be gone.

Pat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Only the one feed available im afraid, so on the day we will be dropping lots of the current freq in order to concentrate on the flightfest ones.

I imagine some of the current lot will be staying in as they will be directing show traffic to the event. But the likes of op's and the "upper level" stuff will be gone.

Makes sense on the day to focus on FlightFest related chatter.

Need to get a new phone, then get the LiveATC app on it in time for this.....

• Advertisement

SachaJ wrote: »
    So just to confirm a few things....
    • by the chimneys the aircraft must be on the flight path heading for the Liffey
    • by the chimneys do they have to be at 800ft or is it 800ft by the Eastlink bridge?
    • they will be at 800ft until Samual Beckett bridge
    • by the Customs House they will have climbed to 1700ft
    • after the customs house they will commence a left hand turn towards Dun Laoghaire
    So I'm guessing the Vulcan will get louder after Samual Beckett.....

1700ft at the chimneys, 800ft by Eastlink Bridge

westdub wrote: »

I'd say you would be safe enough considering that the aircraft will be at least twice the height of the Poolbeg chimneys when they are passing (chimneys @ 680ft and the aircraft will be descending from 1700ft).

Irishtown Park anyone? Further back than the beach behind Poolbeg, slightly closer to Eastlink bridge and a few dozen feet above sea level

https://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.336293,-6.196568&spn=0.007009,0.021136&t=h&z=16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Ok, this is not to put a dampener on things but XH558 is in trouble.

It was diagnosed with a fuel tank leak over the weekend and a display this coming weekend at RAF Leuchars has been cancelled. It is unclear whether the defective tank can be repaired or if a new one needs to be made.

Fingers crossed that this can be fixed for Flightfest

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/494/82/Update-on-fuel-leak.html

shamwari wrote: »
    Ok, this is not to put a dampener on things but XH558 is in trouble.

It was diagnosed with a fuel tank leak over the weekend and a display this coming weekend at RAF Leuchars has been cancelled. It is unclear whether the defective tank can be repaired or if a new one needs to be made.

Fingers crossed that this can be fixed for Flightfest

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/494/82/Update-on-fuel-leak.html

Yep, I mentioned the leak yesterday. Hopefully the issue can be resolved quickly. The Vulcan is,for me, the main attraction in Flightfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Frank Jnr

I think a lot of people have their fingers crossed in the hope that the Vulcan is fixed in time and can make it over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Frank Jnr wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have their fingers crossed in the hope that the Vulcan is fixed in time and can make it over
    Not looking good:
    http://forums.diecast-aviation.eu/showthread.php?p=532318
    No.7 fuel tank located near the rear of the wing and is hard to get to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Someone should organise an RAF VC10 as a substitute noisy large jet. The type has only a few weeks to run in service and no doubt they could use up a bit of airframe life by doing a hop over to Flightfest and back!

Has anyone thought of just bypassing fuel tank 7 and running on the others?

Just an idea since its gonna be retired soon anyway.

or maybe its more complicated than that, I fix cars not aircraft!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Im sure its possible. The leak may even be where the pipework connects so the act of bypassing would fix the leak and negate the need to bypass in the first place!!
    Or the leak could be half way along the wing with the pipework similarly hard to get to. I'll do some research on the plumbing and see what they are faced with. And whether we'll see the vulcan or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 glock34

Hi
    Is RTE going to televise the flight fest and if not why not

It'd probably upset the handling/balance of the aircraft.

glock34 wrote: »
    Hi

No. Might be covered by a two camera OB unit for news etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 glock34

No. Might be covered by a two camera OB unit for news etc.

That's crap some of us have to work weekends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

if theres no vuccin vulcan, some serious amount of toys are gonna get vucced outta the pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

glock34 wrote: »
    Hi

Only for the news. Same reason why Paris and Farnborough aren't aired live.

• Advertisement
Advertisement