Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight Fest (Vulcan fly past)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

emo72 wrote: »
    if theres no vuccin vulcan, some serious amount of toys are gonna get vucced outta the pram.

Are you out of your Vulcan mind?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Re: the vulcan fuel tank.
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mongsoft/vulcan_tech_specs_page.htm
    The tanks are rubber bladders from what i can see and the no.7 tank is the outermost tank near the wingtips. By wingtips i mean there are 7 tanks on each side numbered 1-7.
    So someone is going to have to drain the tank, open the inspection panel, disconnect the pipes and sensors if any, fold up the bladder and remove it through the inspection hole. I dont know if they can repair them or are allowed. A new one would not be available in the local motor factors either and would cost a pretty penny in any case.
    I'm feeling glum now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I was thinking of heading over to Ringsend Park myself. That or the abandoned dry docks on the Grand Canal.

The dry docks at Grand Canal Basin were cordoned off for the Tall Ships last summer, I'd be fairly sure they'd be cordoned off for Flightfest

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

P_1 wrote: »
    The dry docks at Grand Canal Basin were cordoned off for the Tall Ships last summer, I'd be fairly sure they'd be cordoned off for Flightfest

Plenty of parking up along the canal during the tall ships event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

shedweller wrote: »
    Re: the vulcan fuel tank.
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/mongsoft/vulcan_tech_specs_page.htm
    The tanks are rubber bladders from what i can see and the no.7 tank is the outermost tank near the wingtips. By wingtips i mean there are 7 tanks on each side numbered 1-7.
    So someone is going to have to drain the tank, open the inspection panel, disconnect the pipes and sensors if any, fold up the bladder and remove it through the inspection hole. I dont know if they can repair them or are allowed. A new one would not be available in the local motor factors either and would cost a pretty penny in any case.
    I'm feeling glum now....

It's a bit of a snag but you can patch rubber bladder tanks, , however I think the "more correct" way is to send it out for overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stringman

Hi folks, im just wondering are the choppers sticking to the planes 800 foot rule or will they be lower, meaning if im not by the river I won't see them. Just trying to plan where to go, like everyone else, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Nforce wrote: »
    Yep, I mentioned the leak yesterday. Hopefully the issue can be resolved quickly. The Vulcan is,for me, the main attraction in Flightfest.

Sorry about that! I was reading the posts on a smartphone and obviously I missed your one :o

Like you though, the Vulcan was what I was most interested in. Fingers still crossed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Wonder if they can beg, borrow or steal a replacement fuel bladder from a static display aircraft (assuming the replacement is in good condition). Let's face it, it won't be the first time that a Vulcan needed parts from a museum aircraft! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

Wonder if they can beg, borrow or steal a replacement fuel bladder from a static display aircraft (assuming the replacement is in good condition). Let's face it, it won't be the first time that a Vulcan needed parts from a museum aircraft! :D
    Good point. By the sounds of it the tank is in an awkward location. So possibly it's a question of time (to complete the job) rather than availability of parts ?

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be too big of a job. The dodgy fuel bladder has been removed for inspection already, just a matter of installing the repaired (or a replacement) unit. It involves one of the ground crew physically crawling around inside the wing...not a job for the claustrophobic. :)

While browsing the official Vulcan FB page I spotted that in August 2011 a similar fuel tank repair took around 10 days to complete.

While browsing the official Vulcan FB page I spotted that in August 2011 a similar fuel tank repair took around 10 days to complete.
    One day to change the fuel bladder, nine to get yer man back out!
    I'm not overly claustrophobic but you would not get me in there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

shedweller wrote: »
    One day to change the fuel bladder, nine to get yer man back out!

Leave yer man in, priorities and all....

:cool::pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

tricky D wrote: »
    Leave yer man in, priorities and all....

:cool::pac:

Small sacrifice to the sea dragon gods :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

Does anyone know how much the train is for a return journey from Malahide to Dublin? I think we maybe doing the final part of our trip down via train

thanks

• Advertisement

jasT1981 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much the train is for a return journey from Malahide to Dublin? I think we maybe doing the final part of our trip down via train

thanks

€2-80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Pshemko

Max001 wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/PTDYcuoOKkM

BBC TV programme about the Vulcan raid on
    the Falklands in 1992. Sometimes hilarious,
    sometimes breath-taking.

Never seen a 'tin triangle' up close and always wanted to.
    Can't wait :)

Rather 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jasT1981

bumper234 wrote: »
    €2-80

oooh thats cheap, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

jasT1981 wrote: »
    oooh thats cheap, thanks

More like 4 something return

andy_g wrote: »
    More like 4 something return

€2.80 each way

http://journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

10 days out and according to MT CRANIUMS forecast on the weather forum; things are looking good!!!!!!!

QUOTE: ''Highs by middle of next week could be closer to 20-22 C, and further warming is possible beyond that, as some models are showing a gradual swelling up of high pressure around 12th to 15th''.

HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

islanderre wrote: »
    10 days out and according to MT CRANIUMS forecast on the weather forum; things are looking good!!!!!!!

QUOTE: ''Highs by middle of next week could be closer to 20-22 C, and further warming is possible beyond that, as some models are showing a gradual swelling up of high pressure around 12th to 15th''.

HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!
    Thank the Lord for MTC. An absolute boards.ie legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

But anything on the Vulcan? Genuinely worried about her presence on the 15th :(

Transaero 767 added to the lineup yesterday according to the Flight Fest Facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    But anything on the Vulcan? Genuinely worried about her presence on the 15th :(

Follow them on Twitter to get info when it first comes out: https://twitter.com/XH558

That said, the loss of the Vulcan won't run the day for me. A lot of hard work has gone into this show by the organisers and it may be a little unfair for people to put a downer on the whole spectacle due to missing one aircraft.

Personally for me I'm looking forward to seeing the B-17 again. I sat in the cockpit many years ago during the filming of Memphis Belle and it's so impressive. I climbed into the bottom turret and honestly I can't fathom how people got in there during missions. Terrifying. But even that doesn't show, there's so many other things to look forward too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

SachaJ wrote: »
    Follow them on Twitter to get info when it first comes out: https://twitter.com/XH558

Blimey .... look at the prizes in their raffle .... first prize flight in Spitfire alongside Vulcan .... 4th prize day with Red Arrows at Scampton !!

Really looking forward to next weekend , Ill be there , hope The Vulcan makes it , however looking forward to a low slow flightpass by an A380 ..... a sight you will never see again in Dublin I would say.

Well done to the organisers , lets hope the weather gods play ball .

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭merisi

[QUOTE=SachaJPersonally for me I'm looking forward to seeing the B-17 again. I sat in the cockpit many years ago during the filming of Memphis Belle and it's so impressive. I climbed into the bottom turret and honestly I can't fathom how people got in there during missions. Terrifying. But even that doesn't show, there's so many other things to look forward too.[/QUOTE]A couple of erstwhile colleagues of mine worked on Memphis Belle. Were you on the cast or crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭merisi

SachaJ wrote: »

That said, the loss of the Vulcan won't run the day for me. A lot of hard work has gone into this show by the organisers and it may be a little unfair for people to put a downer on the whole spectacle due to missing one aircraft.

Personally for me I'm looking forward to seeing the B-17 again. I sat in the cockpit many years ago during the filming of Memphis Belle and it's so impressive. I climbed into the bottom turret and honestly I can't fathom how people got in there during missions. Terrifying. But even that doesn't show, there's so many other things to look forward too.
    A couple of erstwhile colleagues of mine worked on Memphis Belle. Were you on the cast or crew?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

New update video from FlightFest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Wbg9smtcY&feature=youtu.be

Feature's the female controller who was interviewed on radio last week. Confirms the routing that has been discussed here over the last week or so.

They hope to have 119.60 freq streaming over the PA on the quays.

On a related note I am 50% thru 2 books by Rowland White (Storm Front-Oman 1972, Phoenix Sq-Brit Honduras 1971) which heavily feature the Strikemaster and the Hunter respectively(along with the Buccaneer). This is the guy who wrote Vulcan 607. So I am really looking forward to seeing the 3 aircraft has written about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

merisi wrote: »
    A couple of erstwhile colleagues of mine worked on Memphis Belle. Were you on the cast or crew?

neither. An uncle of mine works (or used to anyway) on aircraft maintenance in Duxford.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    New update video from FlightFest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Wbg9smtcY&feature=youtu.be

Feature's the female controller who was interviewed on radio last week. Confirms the routing that has been discussed here over the last week or so.

They hope to have 119.60 freq streaming over the PA on the quays.

On a related note I am 50% thru 2 books by Rowland White (Storm Front-Oman 1972, Phoenix Sq-Brit Honduras 1971) which heavily feature the Strikemaster and the Hunter respectively(along with the Buccaneer). This is the guy who wrote Vulcan 607. So I am really looking forward to seeing the 3 aircraft has written about.
    Nice update video. In particular the details on the route and holding procedure.
    Will be nice for people to have the frequency on the PA even though I'll have my scanner with me anyway. Although to the average non aviation enthusiast it will sound like double Dutch surely ?

Latest from vulcantothesky and it looks like the leak is in tank 5 and not tank 7. Irrespective, I feel we won't be seeing her next week :eek: But I bloody hope that I am wrong.....
    Earlier this week, with further investigation, we traced the fuel leak seen on Sunday to No.5 Tank Starboard, not as indicated by the leak as being from No.7 Tank - the leaking fuel was tracking back in the aircraft’s structure and emerging under No.7 Tank.

tankinvestigation.jpg

We are currently getting ready to inspect No. 5 Tank fully, having drained and vented it, to assess the size of the problem. The tank will then be removed and sent to FPT Industries for further investigation and possible repair or re-manufacture.

We don’t have a date for when the aircraft will be likely to be serviceable but we will update you just as soon as the engineers and OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) feedback the information.

Please continue reading these newsletters for further news.

shamwari wrote: »
    I feel we won't be seeing her next week :eek:

You're breaking my heart :(

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    You're breaking my heart :(

Sorry! I really wish what I've discovered simply wasn't true. If it's any consolation, it's breaking mine too. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Just in case people havent heard , the Vulcan has developed a serious fuel leak problem . It has cancelled its appearance at this weekends Leuchars Airshow

Just in case people havent heard , the Vulcan has developed a serious fuel leak problem . It has cancelled its appearance at this weekends Leuchars Airshow
    I was going to say "be optimistic, next weekend is a while away yet" but when it comes to planes and fuel it has to be done right. And this is going to take a while to put right. How long that while is remains to be seen. Going on how long i expect it would take me to remove the bladder (while being blissfully unaware of protocol) i would say it is already out. But it has to be sent away and someone may or may not be on call to fix these. New bladder could take a full day to make, maybe 6hrs to repair including pressure tests etc. If the planets align we may see her over Dublin! I'm trying to just be happy with the rest of the line up. I am really but the sound of the vulcan gives me goosebumps on youtube. What'll it do when it comes up the liffey with the boot firmly down?? Jaysus.

It should be fixed ASAP, if it was a commercial aircraft that could be sorted in a matter of days.

I don't know their operation but I'd expect it flying by midweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Does anyone at this point have any idea, if the historic aircraft are landing/over nighting here, where will they be doing so? Would be very nice to see the Sabre, Hunter and Strikemaster(back again) at Weston.
    The B-17 -Bal or Weston??-fingers crossed- if either it will be Weston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone at this point have any idea, if the historic aircraft are landing/over nighting here, where will they be doing so? Would be very nice to see the Sabre, Hunter and Strikemaster(back again) at Weston.
    The B-17 -Bal or Weston??-fingers crossed- if either it will be Weston.

BAL for the 17 the others should be Weston

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

kona wrote: »
    It should be fixed ASAP, if it was a commercial aircraft that could be sorted in a matter of days.

I don't know their operation but I'd expect it flying by midweek.

It's the only one left flying. The RAF retired them 30 years ago. They scavenge parts from static displays. Hardly comparable to a commercial aircraft.

I'm going to travel to Dublin to see the Flightfest - probably arriving into Busaras. Thinking of setting up camp with my flask and fold-up stool :) somewhere around the O2 arena - do ye think this would this be a good vantage point? I'll be on foot so my options are limited. I'm also hoping the order of arrival of the aircraft will be published in advance so I can identify the individual models (I'm a bit of a novice). I envy those of ye on this forum who live near an airport and can do lots of spotting on a regular basis!

inthehat wrote: »
    I'm going to travel to Dublin to see the Flightfest - probably arriving into Busaras. Thinking of setting up camp with my flask and fold-up stool :) somewhere around the O2 arena - do ye think this would this be a good vantage point? I'll be on foot so my options are limited. I'm also hoping the order of arrival of the aircraft will be published in advance so I can identify the individual models (I'm a bit of a novice). I envy those of ye on this forum who live near an airport and can do lots of spotting on a regular basis!
    Not a bad spot at all. If you are facing the liffey with the o2 to your back the planes will be coming from your left. You'll be facing the sun too but it will be high enough and maybe not blind you as they pass.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

inthehat wrote: »
    Order of arrival will not be published...however it will be in rough chronological order. Plan so far is EI A330 close to the start with the BA A380 to finish.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    It's the only one left flying. The RAF retired them 30 years ago. They scavenge parts from static displays. Hardly comparable to a commercial aircraft.

I think you'll find bladder tanks are quite common. They get it patched up and back , then fit it, do you think they would fit a part to the fuel system that has been scavenged from some museum piece?

1173771_295465807260514_700429427_n.jpg

Here's some info on how to get there and a list of closed bridges/stations/roads.

• Advertisement

What are the chances that, on the day, the air traffic partaking in Flightfest can be monitored online using something like FlightRadar?

And will the "control tower" frequency used for Flightfest be streamed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

shamwari wrote: »
    What are the chances that, on the day, the air traffic partaking in Flightfest can be monitored online using something like FlightRadar?

Aircraft (mostly the commercial ones) that normally show on FR24 will be visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Air Boss

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Aircraft (mostly the commercial ones) that normally show on FR24 will be visible.
    But probably not the older and military

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Am i right or wrong in thinking this will be the route for take off to the holding point... DUB via M50 to the holding area?

from holding area up the liffey..... tight loop over donnybrook-dun laoighre back up liffey for 2nd fly-by then continue west back to DUB?

BD8dXw1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I'm from out of town. Where is the best place that I can view the flight from, and how do I get there? Any aircraft I see are usualy passing at 35000 foot, so to photograph them and video them at a decant height would be great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement