Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight Fest (Vulcan fly past)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Great day out...

Started out late, with hangover and having left lots of stuff at home (binos, camera, headphones, water...)

Saw the A330 from the DART between Clontarf and Tara St.

Watching from the quays.

Aer Corps in formations looked pretty damn good despite or even because of all the correcting being done due to the blustery winds.

Strikemaster was cool, Avro RJ85 was quiet as a mouse, love the Embraer lines/shape, Ryanair was a bit of a chuckle with that U NEVR BEAT D IRISH.

Moved on to Grand Canal Dock/Charlotte Quay for better side views.

Pity the S61 and S92 didn't get to do it together as it would have been a nice kind of symbolic handover, however needs must. I've got so much respect for the 61 having seen it in action, up close at times, or on patrol so much.

B17 was the dog's... and a nice touch with the the 2 engine smoker and the Catalina looked like it was floating in the headwinds. Wish it could have landed in the Dock and put the Splash tours in their place.

757 punched with some wellie on the way out.

I reckon the Hawker Hunter and Sabre pilots were having a ball with flying in close formation and peeling off the various ways they did. Two beautiful machines.

A340 was impressive with its livery but of course the 380 beast was off the scale, it went up to 11 - amazing craft that I'll have to make plans to get on sooner. Looked very well in the BA livery. As prosaic just mentioned, it was a bit weird, and a teaser, seeing it circling in the background over the Kish.

Tip o the hat to the organisers and I really hope this becomes a regular gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Ryanair 737 - I was disappointed with the reception it got from some people.

I was standing next to the Samuel Beckett Bridge and there were a load of moans let loose when the Ryanair flew overhead, I myself cringed at the title underneath, but all part of the fun I suppose...

Weather was great, apparently 130,000 people attended based on numbers from the Gardaí.

Really liked the A330 that started it off, and the A380 was nice too, but for some reason I was expecting bigger, but there you go.

The RJ85 was very very very very very quiet. As in, if a car had driven past you'd probably have missed it.

Congratulations to all who put so much effort into organising it, it was a great day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

prosaic wrote: »
    I was watching the A380 coming in lined up way in the distance. Then it banked out left and moments later the A340 turned in on it's second run. IT looked like a peculiar situation.

Overall, great show. And lovely spot to viw at BGE Theatre.

yeah i actually enjoyed seeing that. i had the binoculars and seen it bank left to let the the 340 do its second run. as it banked i got a great view and it looked huge even though it was so far out. had a great view of it from the side and seen it do most of its loop.

the thing is, the view in the distance conveyed a better sense of its size, than when it was directly overhead at 800 feet. does that make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

emo72 wrote: »
    yeah i actually enjoyed seeing that. i had the binoculars and seen it bank left to let the the 340 do its second run. as it banked i got a great view and it looked huge even though it was so far out. had a great view of it from the side and seen it do most of its loop.

the thing is, the view in the distance conveyed a better sense of its size, than when it was directly overhead at 800 feet. does that make sense?

it was that big i could still see it through binoculars over arklow from ballyfermot as it flew back to london

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

I was amazed at the difference in noise when the aircraft flew by with their gears down, as opposed to when they flew by with the gear up. That air resistance makes a serious racket!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Were they 800 from sea level because some passed over D6 at about 300 to 400 feet.

I didn't even know this was on but seen most of the planes go over head from the garden.:)
    Great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Dodd wrote: »
    Were they 800 from sea level because some passed over D6 at about 300 to 400 feet.

I didn't even know this was on but seen most of the planes go over head from the garden.:)
    Great show.

By the time the aircraft were over D6 they were climbing up away from 800ft+ on the go-around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great show. I'd a great day out. Even Mrs. crosstownk who was initially dreading it also enjoyed it. The kids loved it too.

3G (Vodafone) was rubbish. Feed kept dropping. Volume was OK on mech1's feed with the phone up to my ear.

Time now for a few beers and a flick through the days photos.

Well done to anyone who was involved in organising this. Excellent show.

EDIT: The only negative was that I forgot my binoculars and the milk for my flask of tea :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Were they at 800ft? On the Flight Radar App on my phone they were showing at 1245ft for the A340 and 1275ft for the A380. Wasn't able to check the others due to 3g network problems. To be honest I wasn't expecting the airliners to make 800ft due to the amount of time between where they had to be at 1700ft (45 to 60 seconds to both descent and climb). The Air Corps were much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

tricky D wrote: »
    Tip o the hat to the organisers and I really hope this becomes a regular gig.

hopefully next time we get a few B2 bombers, F-22's and eurofighters...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Mech1 wrote: »
    Note for future, headphones mandatory:D

Was using iPhone ear phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Nothing today yet from Airboss on the event, guess he's at the afters party:D

Thanks anyway Airboss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Great day out. Was up around pwc for most of the day. My phone reception (meteor) kept dying completely- not just the 3g which was a bit of a pain. Dont know if it's related to all the telecoms in the area or just a fluke. The saber was my favourite by far. The sound was unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Rascasse wrote: »
    Were they at 800ft? On the Flight Radar App on my phone they were showing at 1245ft for the A340 and 1275ft for the A380..

Posted this question too earlier on. I could hear many pilots getting clearance to go to 800ft but the images posted would support the higher altitudes as indicated.

There was a slight delay on Flight Radar 24 but the altitude never went below 1,175ft for any of those that I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Great day, great atmosphere around town and the weather held up
    congrats to all involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Aircraft were all down at 800ft I'm told the A340 was at 1000ft and the saber and hunter were at 600ft and 350kts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

scudzilla wrote: »
    Well that was fun, great to meet Andy and Lord Lucan from here, looking forward to seeing the pics from Googles balcony

After readying almost twenty pages my eye's are about to fall out.
    Have to say I had a great day today and was great to meet Scudzilla and Lord Lucan.

And also a huge!! thanks to Scudzilla for bringing me up to Google had a great view and i hope t have some pics up later tonight/early tomorrow :)
    Andy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thought it was pretty poor to be honest, well organised but poor venue restricting everything.
    Anyone used to a proper air show will agree with me, nowhere near enough noise or speed.
    More than once people nearby us called it ****e fest lol,an hour in and the crowd thinned out dramatically.
    Very well run event however.

Dcully wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty poor to be honest, well organised but poor venue restricting everything.
    Anyone used to a proper air show will agree with me, nowhere near enough noise or speed.
    More than once people nearby us called it ****e fest lol,an hour in and the crowd thinned out dramatically.

It was a flypast not a airshow

Mech1 wrote: »
    It was a flypast not a airshow

Talk about stating the obvious, thats exactly why i wasnt impressed.
    Where did i say it was an air show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Talk about stating the obvious, thats exactly why i wasnt impressed.
    Where did i say it was an air show?

The clue is in bold :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wonderful day - loved every minute. Well done all involved:).

The clue is in bold :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Like i said i didnt say it was an air show, i was drawing a comparison :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

City center, perfect venue for a flypast.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭chinwag

Noticed that some of the commercial planes today appeared to have their landing gear down as they approached the city while others didn't and I'm wondering why :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

have to agree, i had my 3 kids in town today and ater the first 4 passes they wanted to go home. The time in between passes was way too long long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

hopefully next time we get a few B2 bombers, F-22's and eurofighters...

hopefully we get a next time!

Looking at the video posted in first post on page 134 I can see why I though it was lower then 800 feet.
    The street I was on I only could see it over head for a few seconds.
    In the middle of the video it does look lower because of the size.
    Don't mean to be a Dougal.:)

Like i said i didnt say it was an air show, i was drawing a comparison :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyone who knew the difference between an air show and a fly past should be able to differentiate their expectations then so. What were you expecting, the A380 to do a barrel roll?

• Advertisement

chinwag wrote: »
    Noticed that some of the commercial planes today appeared to have their landing gear down as they approached the city while others didn't and I'm wondering why :confused:

Some did two passes and some did three, all that did three had their gear down for the last pass, at least a few of the two passes aircraft did as well.

First pass no gear down.

chinwag wrote: »

I think most went by with landing gear up and then down at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

pm. wrote: »
    have to agree, i had my 3 kids in town today and ater the first 4 passes they wanted to go home. The time in between passes was way too long long

Safety is the word of the day, in the tight airspace used, and with a busy airport just a few miles away, they had to do it this way, rather that than cram plane after plane and end up with a disaster

dukedalton wrote: »
    Anyone who knew the difference between an air show and a fly past should be able to differentiate their expectations then so. What were you expecting, the A380 to do a barrel roll?

Dont be so ridiculous,i simply said it was nowhere near as entertaining as an air show which was always going to be the case.
    What part of that cant you grasp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Dont be so ridiculous,i simply said it was nowhere near as entertaining as an air show.
    What part of that cant you grasp?

It was never advertised as an airshow!? It's like saying the F1 event last year was no where near as good as a Grand Prix!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

why the wheels down? is it some weird type of salute? or makes more noise when down? more noise=more fun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

pm. wrote: »

this is because of the short attention span kids have these days do to all the sugar you feed them.. this happens in every airshow - no matter how exciting it is, kids will be bored as hell in 30 minutes or less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

great day out, something different and well done to those who organised it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Really enjoyed today - bit of a pain in my neck - but apart from the wind it was a nice day. Luckily for us Derry was somewhat incorrect in his assumptions......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Some did two passes and some did three, all that did three had their gear down for the last pass, at least a few of the two passes aircraft did as well.

First pass no gear down.

Except Ryanair. <insert joke about fuel>

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Would it be too ambitious to expect a Flightfest 2.0 next year? :D

Air Boss, if it looks like something like is on the cards again..keep us posted :pac: Well done to all involved in organising this, it was a great day. And a special thanks to you Air Boss for keeping us updated on everything.
    andy_g wrote: »
    And also a huge!! thanks to Scudzilla for bringing me up to Google had a great view and i hope t have some pics up later tonight/early tomorrow :)
    Andy

Where was our invite scud? I thought we were friends :p
    Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Was using iPhone ear phones.

That explains it.

It was loud enough for me on 50% volume and my headphones weren't great either. But mind you, they were in ear and it was fairly quiet around me.

• Advertisement

I can't grasp the fact you tell us you know the difference between an air show and a fly past, yet you are criticising it for not having the speed and noise of an air show? What exactly were you expecting from a fly past in a city centre close to an international airport?

Let me spell it out for you as your having great difficulty here.
    Nowhere did i say it was an air show or expected it to me lol.
    I simply said it was poor compared to one, now please tell me what is so wrong with that?

, they had to do it this way,

No they did not, there was a delay and some of the pilots commented on it too.

In the preamble a local radio show had a retired RAF pilot and ATC controller chatting about the Vulcan and the Flight Fest and he commented how it should be done and he had planes coming in every three minutes from the holding pattern, you do need a plane in the display and plane exiting and a plane arriving.

It did speed up as the show went on. But a lot of the time there were no aircraft in the holding area at the beginning.

Sitec wrote: »
    It was never advertised as an airshow!? It's like saying the F1 event last year was no where near as good as a Grand Prix!

Ill say it again, where did i say it was an air show?

Let me spell it out for you as your having great difficulty here.
    Nowhere did i say it was an air show or expected it to me lol.
    I simply said it was poor compared to one, now please tell me what is so wrong with that?

I'm not having any difficulty at all. You said "anyone who has been to a proper air show" would think that it was poor. An air show (which this wasn't) and a fly past (which it was) are two completely different things, and therefore you cant say a fly past is poor by the standards of an air show. You're comparing apples and oranges. As another poster already pointed out, it's like criticising that F1 exhibition that was in Dublin last year because it wasn't as exciting as a Grand Prix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

We got to see some fairly cool aircraft in a pretty damn unusual location under blue skies. Shall we try not to spoil it by splitting hairs?

Out of interest, what aircraft couldn't make it and any idea how come?

P_1 wrote: »
    Out of interest, what aircraft couldn't make it and any idea how come?

I'll take the easy ones; the Vulcan has a fuel tank leak and cannot fly, CHC S92 was tasked to a mountain rescue, a cancelled show in England lead to a few rescheduling and missing Dublin.

A lovely thread messed up by people who make it about them selves,shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Air Boss

really dull in the city

7utgkuR.jpg
    That was the most difficult time today
    Great Location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great display and fair play to all involved. Was well organised. I hate being critical of something that was free and virtually voluntary for many people, but I did find also it very slow at times. The gap was very long between a lot of the planes but as posters have been saying there were many reasons for this.

Also, got the LUAS in from the Red Cow. First and last time I will ever do that for any event... Did they actually know such a big event was on, seeing as they sponsored it?? Waited for almost an hour to board a tram out there, much of the time spent queing for car park ticket, then lengthy queue for the tram tickets (not enough machines?) and then more time spent in the rain waiting for an actual tram with space to board. Spoiled the day a little for me, and was a pity i didn't keep going and park in town , sincerely doubt it would have taken any longer than the above and we would have been a lot drier and comfortable.

I'm not having any difficulty at all. You said "anyone who has been to a proper air show" would think that it was poor. An air show (which this wasn't) and a fly past (which it was) are two completely different things, and therefore you cant say a fly past is poor by the standards of an air show. You're comparing apples and oranges. As another poster already pointed out, it's like criticising that F1 exhibition that was in Dublin last year because it wasn't as exciting as a Grand Prix.

You see it as criticism i see it as one not being as good as the other and simply stating that fact, just like the F1 event.
    Now tell me what is wrong with saying that?
    Where is the rule that one shouldnt say it?
    Your just nitpicking now and itching for agro and you know it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement