Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flight Fest (Vulcan fly past)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Air Boss

Well done Air Boss! We had a great day! (aside from getting a speeding fine and 2 penalty points on the way in because we were running late :mad: )
    Any idea when we can see the video footage that was shot officially?
    Oops sorry about speeding fines but the Sabre got some in Bal on Saturday so you are in good company
    Not sure but the helicopter was up all day and above the aircraft - that combined with the ground shots should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Autumn Moon

Really enjoyed that day! Very impressive and well organized. Job well done.

Hats off to the pilots!

And also a Thank You to Mech1 here for ATC info - was great being able to listen in!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Fantastic day! Decided last night we wouldn't go because of the weather but I just couldn't keep away. Travelled up from Waterford at the last minute with my 7 year old. My dad took me to Shannon about 30 yrs ago to see Concorde and I've been an aviation junkie ever since! Think my boy is going to be the same after today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭robclay26

More of my pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great pictures, Rob, many thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tropheus wrote: »
    The pics on this thread would put our national press to shame.

What national press? The eejit and a half that were covering the girls under 10 camogie quarter final that only interests horny middle aged pedophile farmers from Sligo?

/Sorry for rant

thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Enjoyed the day but the rescue helicopter at 800 feet was just silly, how many times have I seen the heli searching the Liffey for a missing person down at nearly ground level im sure the crew felt sh..e being so high you could not even read Coastguard on it, it was a very sad farewell to the S61

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anacou

Excellent pics Rob - you can even see the crew on the A380 on zoom! Best out there I would say ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tenger wrote: »
    I was on a rooftop on the south quays....2 serious photog's beside me. On the 2nd pass of the Hunter and Sabre I just watched in awe....meanwhile the 2 lads took 4-5 rapid fire shots each and were looking down before the aircraft had even climbed back to 1700ft.....kinda sad...at least wait till you get home to look at the shots guys...
    I was doing something similar on the pier. It's to ensure that what you took looks like what you saw, in regards the exposure, how clear it was, is it correctly in focus, etc. The sun going behind the clouds and/or coming out of the clouds makes a massive difference when shooting manual, in terms of shutter speed and ISO setting.
    mystic86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Towards the beginning of today's event there was a little plane that I believe they said was in private ownership and had flown in from north Wales, could someone tell me what type it was? It was my joint favourite! :)
    It was the Strikemaster. It was the single plane after the 2 large planes and 4 smaller planes went by. It emitted a smoke trail. It went past the pier at 14:55 Got a few nice shots of it, and I'll link a few of them here later.

Thank you :) I wish i got ontop of Bolands mill! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

the_syco wrote: »
    I was doing something similar on the pier. It's to ensure that what you took looks like what you saw, in regards the exposure, how clear it was, is it correctly in focus, etc. The sun going behind the clouds and/or coming out of the clouds makes a massive difference when shooting manual, in terms of shutter speed and ISO setting.....
    I was aware of what they were doing....I checked my own shots in the gaps between aircraft. Its that they just seemed to be taking no enjoyment out of the spectacle, no just staring with camera down. It seemed very robotic to my eyes.

I was aware of what they were doing....I checked my own shots in the gaps between aircraft. Its that they just seemed to be taking no enjoyment out of the spectacle, no just staring with camera down. It seemed very robotic to my eyes.
    Ah. How odd. Possibly only there to shoot the planes, unlike the lads here that would be at the event for the planes 1st, taking photos 2nd, if you get me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Air Boss wrote: »
    Cancelled 10 am no aircraft available - they could have sent somethinh

That's unfair criticism IMO. Like the Royal Navy and British Army, the Royal Air Force is under resourced and over stretched due to global humanitarian and peace keeping operations, plus commitments in Afghanistan. This fly past was well supported by UK based aircraft, not least British Airways' own flagship aircraft (A380). Given the RAF's professionalism, they'd not take the decision to cancel lightly and unless they had no choice, if it was their decision. As the RAF C130 fleet is supplied and maintained by Lockheed Martin, the circumstances of the cancellation may not have been the responsibility of the RAF. I didn't hear of any of the other hundred plus national air force's agree to participate as well as send planes and crews at their own expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

The weather could have been less windy and less cold, but that's September (and Ireland) for you. I thought 800ft would be a whole lot lower than it was. I thought 180kts would be faster than it was. That prick with the horn on the boat needed to be thrown overboard with a heavy weight attached to their ankles. It needed more jets. The gaps between some flights were a pain.

In the end though, none of that mattered a jot. We got to see some really cool aircraft flying low and slow up a city center river with ~130,000 others, it was immense. My thanks and congratulations to the organisers for the event.

When I make my millions I'll purchase Miss Demeanour a partner :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

The weather could have been less windy and less cold, but that's September (and Ireland) for you. I thought 800ft would be a whole lot lower than it was. I thought 180kts would be faster than it was. That prick with the horn on the boat needed to be thrown overboard with a heavy weight attached to their ankles. It needed more jets. The gaps between some flights were a pain.

In the end though, none of that mattered a jot. We got to see some really cool aircraft flying low and slow up a city center river with ~130,000 others, it was immense. My thanks and congratulations to the organisers for the event.

When I make my millions I'll purchase Miss Demeanour a partner :pac:

Likewise. It was a bit cold and windy but i didn't care. Came up from cork at 9.am and saw the whole show. Loved it. Yes, the ass with the horn needed to go and there was some large gaps between planes but so what.

Saw something I'll most likely never see again. Favourites were the saber in formation, the Sally-B and the 3rd unexpected flyover by the A380 (was on the way back to the luas when it came over low, did to my untrained eye a steep climb and banked away waggling it wings).

Never been to a proper air show (yes, i know this was a flyby and not an airshow ) but am determined to get to one soon. More fast jets and noise would have been great.

Seen videos on youtube of a place in Wales called the Mach Loop I think where english and us jets fly through the valleys. Looks incredible.

mystic86 wrote: »
    Towards the beginning of today's event there was a little plane that I believe they said was in private ownership and had flown in from north Wales, could someone tell me what type it was?
    Strikemaster BAC 167
    541809_508757739219082_569725747_n.jpg
    closer
    Heckler wrote: »
    Seen videos on youtube of a place in Wales called the Mach Loop I think where english and us jets fly through the valleys. Looks incredible.
    If it's where I'm thinking of, it once had an abnormally high UFO sightenings, as it was a testing ground for the new military planes :D

Heckler wrote: »
    ....Seen videos on youtube of a place in Wales called the Mach Loop I think where english and us jets fly through the valleys. Looks incredible.

Yup, thats on my bucket list. I was lucky enough to catch the USA Thunderbirds displaying in Chicago a few years ago....now thats a show. For pure noise and adrenalin you can't beat fast jets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

road_high wrote: »

Also, got the LUAS in from the Red Cow. First and last time I will ever do that for any event... Did they actually know such a big event was on, seeing as they sponsored it?? Waited for almost an hour to board a tram out there, much of the time spent queing for car park ticket, then lengthy queue for the tram tickets (not enough machines?) and then more time spent in the rain waiting for an actual tram with space to board. Spoiled the day a little for me, and was a pity i didn't keep going and park in town , sincerely doubt it would have taken any longer than the above and we would have been a lot drier and comfortable.

I drove out to the red cow I was going to do the same , then I saw the queue of cars trying to get into the car park and said ' sod that '

I drove into town , along the canal , and not one Luas passed me town bound.

The shower that soaked you hit me about half way along the canal stretch.

I parked near Grafton St and walked in from there.... no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I thought 800ft would be a whole lot lower than it was. :pac:

A common enough perception in this thread. According to FlightRadar 24, those aircraft emitting ADSB codes, they were between 1,175ft and 1,250ft at their lowest.

Keep in mind that there is a cut off altitude and today I am running my own ADSB Unit to compare to. In the past I found a 500ft drop off from FlightRadar 24 ~ I can track local aircraft to the ground myself with my own unit. .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

Here's a few I took yesterday. I was way out in Sandymount, watching them pass Poolbeg. They're a bit 'far away', even with a 300mm telephoto. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjJdRgSj

murf wrote: »
    Here's a few I took yesterday. I was way out in Sandymount, watching them pass Poolbeg. They're a bit 'far away', even with a 300mm telephoto. http://flic.kr/s/aHsjJdRgSj

Still a great viewing point. Have seen a few similar. The juxtaposition of the chimneys and the unusual aircraft is really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Still a great viewing point. Have seen a few similar. The juxtaposition of the chimneys and the unusual aircraft is really good.
    Nice to also see a more side on view of the retro aer lingus livery!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I had what I thought was a great spot in front of the convention center for a while yesterday with 2 kids. I was amazed at how boring it was. Wait a while, see the bottom of an aeroplane, repeat. Nothing for the kids to do between planes. I was under the impression that there would be lots of stalls and things to do for families. I met 4 other friends with families who all left early for the same reason.
    The view from the main square in the IFSC was much better as you could actually see what the planes looked like from the side, and yet they were still close enough to be impressive. Luckily I was here for the seaplane and flying fortress. You also had some chance of getting something to eat.

However, thanks to this thread, the day was saved. When I got home to North Strand (about 1km from the Liffey) we set up the live feed on one screen and the Flightradar on another, and the kids got very excited watching as the planes came in, and then running out into the garden to get a great view of the planes over the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I drove out to the red cow I was going to do the same , then I saw the queue of cars trying to get into the car park and said ' sod that '

I drove into town , along the canal , and not one Luas passed me town bound.

The shower that soaked you hit me about half way along the canal stretch.

I parked near Grafton St and walked in from there.... no problems.

Yes and they were annoucing on the radio for everyone to take public transport. Next time car all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭prosaic

About the fog horn sounding when the A380 came past, I assume it's a maritime tradition of a welcome salute to a special visitor or a sail-past. Not sure was it a ship or the harbour that was sounding it.

I remember similar salutes for tall ships. I guess that since the A380 was a special visitor and was "sailing" past, they must have thought it appropriate and courteous to make a salute (even though the captain wasn't going to hear it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

road_high wrote: »
    Yes and they were annoucing on the radio for everyone to take public transport. Next time car all the way.

I drove in from the Lucan road. I saw one bus all the way in and hundreds of frustrated people waiting along all the bus stops along the way. I parked in Phoenix Park then walked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

urajoke wrote: »

@red Nissan try getting a 250t aircraft to immediately turn and be up the exhausts of traffic ahead, it's not safe for a start. They will have had to juggle a lot more as aircraft dropped out due wind and tech issues. Plus aircraft were coming from MOSCOW, LONDON and MANCHESTER, so there would have been delays to those aircraft that had to be adjusted for.

Good points. Also, for all those who think that the traffic should have been closer, the majority of these pilots would have been line pilots, and not display pilots. Safety was paramount here, and asking line pilots to fly in an unfamiliar situation at low level (well maybe not for the Cityjet dudes), and then put additional pressure of short distances, gusting winds and possible wake turbulance just wasn't on. The times between passes were long sometimes, but the flypast fantastic.

Thanks to the organisers for a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I drove in from the Lucan road. I saw one bus all the way in and hundreds of frustrated people waiting along all the bus stops along the way. I parked in Phoenix Park then walked.

Big fan of public transport for these events, but the train service from coolmine was shambolic - lots of disappointed families. Have to say the day was great, waned a bit in the middle but a fantastic array of aircraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Big fan of public transport for these events, but the train service from coolmine was shambolic - lots of disappointed families. Have to say the day was great, waned a bit in the middle but a fantastic array of aircraft

To be fair to Irish Rail, there were extra trains laid on yesterday. I was on the train at quarter past twelve and there was still plenty of space at that stage. I'd venture to suggest these were people who left it till the last minute to get into town.

IrishHomer wrote: »

I'd say so. Yet another failure for public transport in Dublin. They knew it was on, why couldn't they have been more organised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Surveyor11 wrote: »

I was on the train from Clonsilla, just 1 stop before Coolmine. Train was absolutely rammed. Dont think many people were able to get on from Clonsilla onwards. One guy actually had to be kicked off our carriage as he squeezed himself in but then the door would not close.

A great day out , spoiled a little by the public transport issues. Would definitely drive in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Strituck wrote: »
    I was on the train from Clonsilla, just 1 stop before Coolmine. Train was absolutely rammed. Dont think many people were able to get on from Clonsilla onwards.

What time was that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

dukedalton wrote: »
    What time was that?

It left Clonsilla just after 1300

dukedalton wrote: »
    To be fair to Irish Rail, there were extra trains laid on yesterday. I was on the train at quarter past twelve and there was still plenty of space at that stage. I'd venture to suggest these were people who left it till the last minute to get into town.

I was at the LUAS Red cow at well before 12pm. Peak time of when people would be going in. Was still rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The Catalina just flew over Clondalkin heading east. Probably my last sighting of it here for God knows how long.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    The Catalina just flew over Clondalkin heading east. Probably my last sighting of it here for God knows how long.

Yep saw it too..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

the_syco wrote: »
    Strikemaster BAC 167
    541809_508757739219082_569725747_n.jpg
    closer

If it's where I'm thinking of, it once had an abnormally high UFO sightenings, as it was a testing ground for the new military planes :D

Looks a bit like a Jet Provost which Hunting Percival used to make!

• Advertisement

Jim Martin wrote: »

That's because it is a development of the Jet Provost.

Jim Martin wrote: »

errrr thats because it is basically a JP ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

@robclay26 - what equipment were you using for those shots? Seriously good sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 murf

Thanks! Yeah, it was nice to see them and the city together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭orlaanne

Strituck wrote: »
    It left Clonsilla just after 1300

I was on that same train but I managed to get on the back at Coolmine, total madness and we had an idiot at the door of our carriage telling people at subsequent stations "ah it's grand we'll squeeze you in", only it was the rest of us getting squeezed and not him. I swear I could have swung for him.

Irish rail did have extra trains on the way home but hardly useful if they were leaving hundreds behind on the way in. I read about one guy on twitter whose kids were left in tears at Ashtown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

orlaanne wrote: »
    I was on that same train but I managed to get on the back at Coolmine, total madness and we had an idiot at the door of our carriage telling people at subsequent stations "ah it's grand we'll squeeze you in", only it was the rest of us getting squeezed and not him. I swear I could have swung for him.

Irish rail did have extra trains on the way home but hardly useful if they were leaving hundreds behind on the way in. I read about one guy on twitter whose kids were left in tears at Ashtown.

I asked people to move in at Coolmine - was plenty of room, but people insisted on huddling around the door and not moving into the aisle between the seats. One woman pointed out no-one could get on because she had a buggy blocking he door. It was a squeeze alight, but my family and about 10 other people that would have otherwise been left behind managed to get on.

Anyway, more for the Commuting and Travel forum. Still a great day, pity the transport was so shambolic - they seem to get this thing right in other countries.

That's because it is a development of the Jet Provost.

Ah right - thanks!

Davidth88 wrote: »
    errrr thats because it is basically a JP ...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

Just a few pics from yesterday just using a bridge camera. Would like to see others who were using really good cameras and long lens
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjMDVaOE1lSllqWFk/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjMG8wVkwtdWthN3M/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjMUdoRTlZOVlvd3M/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjQVJnbWQ2Q3ZRczg/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjRWRMWmlvVy04QUE/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjRjdYZ0JIdFJLQ1U/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjU2VTOXBHWVd4MGs/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjUWZhM3BJdW4xNms/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjVlBzMi1IVUFQT0E/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjWDc2d2RkSENuSXM/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjYURFNGd5WS1Eanc/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjaGtFZ2ZCbHJtSzA/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjaThmSXJPYlJxelU/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjamFfWkYxLVpMbmM/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjbEdzUHdmZHB1VEE/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjbUFmSFZISXB6ejA/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjbk00ZXdmRkNOZjQ/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjc0tQVG45a2w5WkU/edit?usp=sharing
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-iEpOaDY-pjeHlNLVJkOE9fSXM/edit?usp=sharing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Surveyor11,

Was one o clock the only option? 50 mins before the show is late to me. I didnt notice any short DMUs go over the Liffey either. The Dart on the other hand looked to be running 6 or 8 coaches from 10am every 15 mins or so.

Sounds like the LUAS was just a mess. I was almost going to go to the Red cow for around 10am. Glad I didn't now.

Advertisement