Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin with a better battery life

Options
  • 12-04-2013 9:24am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got my Garmin Forerunner 305 back in January 2011 and its supposed to hold charge for approx 8 hours of usage.

I've noted its not far off this (round 7 hours) but it came close to dieing during Conn Ultra and also I'd like to aim for a 50miler at some stage which obviously it won't be able for....atleast based on pace I'll be doing.

Any suggestions for a replacement for the 305 that holds a longer charge and won't involve me getting a loan to buy it? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There is a long life battery which can be swapped in. Its a warranty voiding type of job and usually is an option for watches that have died completely. There is a link, possibly in ebay where you can get them. I'll stick the link up if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Two good sites here:
    Link 1
    Link 2
    If you do go down the ebay route there is an option to replace the beeper with a vibration unit. I took my old one apart, took a few minutes with a scalpel / craft knife just to repair a broken wire. Put it back together and it's still going strong.
    Also worth closing the vent holes on the back of the unit as that's where perspiration seeps in and eats the circuit boards.
    Ebay Link (in Canada)
    I upgraded to a 310xt which (on paper) has 20hours, currently trying to devise a way to extend this.

Bertie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

The 310xt is supposed to have a battery life of 20hrs - http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Waterproof-Running/dp/B0025VKW5K

Mine is supposed to be arriving today. It's worth shopping around as I'm paying €160 for mine but I've seen it priced at over €400 on some sites:eek:

Also the 910xt is supposed to have a 20hr battery life, but is a bit more expensive. It is getting great reviews though. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-910XT-GPS-Enabled-Monitor/dp/B005T0Z9CU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

The 310xt is supposed to have a battery life of 20hrs - http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Waterproof-Running/dp/B0025VKW5K

Mine is supposed to be arriving today. It's worth shopping around as I'm paying €160 for mine but I've seen it priced at over €400 on some sites:eek:

Also the 910xt is supposed to have a 20hr battery life, but is a bit more expensive. It is getting great reviews though. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-910XT-GPS-Enabled-Monitor/dp/B005T0Z9CU

Just wondering you picked it up for 160 as im just about to buy one

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Hi, I used globalgps.co.uk. Never used them before so I was a bit wary, but delivery took only two days so am very happy with that.

Here's the link - http://www.globalgps.co.uk/object-1482-garmin-forerunner-310xt-with-usb-ant-stick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Thanks seems like great value

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

think i'd opt for changing the garmin over just changing the battery in my existing one,

The 310xt looks like some monster though,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have a 310xt with an advertised battery life of 20 hours. I don't know of any other GPS watches with such a long battery life (Timex has one with 15. 8 or 10 hours usage seems to be more usual these days).

The one time I truly tested the battery life of my Garmin it died just before 17 hours were up. I think had I not worn my HRM it might have lasted the full advertised 20 hours, but I haven't put that theory to the test yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I don't know of any other GPS watches with such a long battery life
    Garmin 910xt. Same battery life expectations, but more expensive. Haven't put the battery longevity to the test and doubt that I ever will (unless I loan it to you for you next race!).

There's also the Garmin Fenix which has a 50 hour battery, however this works on the basis of reducing the GPS accuracy by taking less GPS readings and is more suitable for the hiking/outdoors enthusiast than the runner. I think Suunto also have a long-life outdoorsey type GPS watch (Ambit?). Beautiful looking watch, but bleedin' massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Hi, I used globalgps.co.uk. Never used them before so I was a bit wary, but delivery took only two days so am very happy with that.

Here's the link - http://www.globalgps.co.uk/object-1482-garmin-forerunner-310xt-with-usb-ant-stick

That Site is very cheap i have being looking to get a 310XT for a while and so far the cheapest site out there . is it worth getting the Ant+ with the watch ?

You need the ANT+ stick to upload files from the watch. Its about €50 to buy separately later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

jeawan wrote: »
    That Site is very cheap i have being looking to get a 310XT for a while and so far the cheapest site out there . is it worth getting the Ant+ with the watch ?
    They don't (shouldn't) sell the watch without the USB stick. Their official SKUs both include the USB ANT stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

They don't (shouldn't) sell the watch without the USB stick. Their official SKUs both include the USB ANT stick.

Cheers Krusty watch arrived today with Ant+ stick and heartrate monitor looking forward to trying it vs my iphone strava app now :D

Advertisement