Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into BIOS on a Windows 8 laptop?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, Toshiba C850 with Windows 8 pre-installed and I want to mess around with my Linux Mint LiveUSB but there's no prompt to change the boot sequence or even get into the BIOS, I assume this is the UEFI thing?
    There was a Toshiba tool pre-installed in Windows that let's you change the boot order but it didn't seem to do anything when I put USB first, it still goes into W8.

The USB is detected fine on another co-workers laptop but he needs to use it, cheers for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

"1. Power on the system and while the “TOSHIBA” logo appears, press F2 key to enter the BIOS Setup Menu"

F2 doesn't get me into the BIOS though!
    There is no text on the boot logo screen other than Toshiba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Did you read the second article about killing Secure Boot in the Windows 8 "Advanced Options" UI?

That mentions the Windows 8 PC Settings (or Advanced Settings), neither of which open for me for some reason, I click the icons but nothing happens. http://i.imgur.com/btX0tCr.png
    If I click on my User portrait > Change account picture, it doesn't open either, hmm (I know it worked before as I changed it to Moe from the Simpsons!)

Read this.

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Read this.
    Heh, just posted that PC Setting doesn't open for me, so I can't get past step 1!

I'm running sfc/scannow command, which supposedly fixes it.

I've tried pressing all the usual keys, F1-F12 (including Fn+ F*), Delete, Esc... hopefully I can get this PC Settings thing fixed too and then get to the UEFI stuff.

Or do a factory default restore, if you're going to wipe it anyway.

Then clone the disk and keep the image, in case you want to go back. ;)

Nah it's my work laptop so I won't be wiping it, just wanted to play with Mint LiveUSB (I wanted to check a fecked USB stick in gparted, but it would be handy anyway)
    I got the PC Settings back after the sfc/scannow, so I'll give it a go again on Monday, cheers for the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Windows 8 has an ultra fast boot option which skips the BIOS checks completely meaning you can't access the BIOS through normal means.

I assume your laptop has this mode enabled. You will have to do it through windows.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-a-windows-8-computer/

Advertisement