Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB refusing cheques at cashier in maynooth

Options
  • 12-04-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I went in to maynooth aib to lodge my work cheque as usual and the cashier told me that I was going to have to start using the machine. The first time I used it it jammed and while everything got sorted out by 7 that evening it caused me a fair amount of stress. Now I trust it as far as I could throw it. I tried explained that but all I got was "Its working fine now". He was very unhelpful. Surely they can still put cheques through at the desk! They've had the machine a while now but they've never given the impression they were going to switch to it completely. Was it the cashier just having a bad day..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

Why go through the hassle of having to go to the bank to lodge your cheque - have your employer pay it directly into your account. No hassle and cheaper for your employer - no cheque stamp duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The staff have been instructed to make all customers use the machines and not the counters. That is their only goal.

If, for example, you were to have an issue using the machine, like dyslexia, then I'm sure they would have to let you use the counter. Though its not guaranteed.

Would it be possible to get your wages paid by bank transfer?

It would save you time and money as you wouldn't have to go to the bank, it would save your employer time and money and it would save the bank time and money - win win win.

On your question - all the banks are trying to cut costs by automating as many transactions as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Are you lodging with your card? If you, erm, forgot your card I believe they would allow you to fill in a lodegment form to make the lodgement.

I don't blame the staff, they are fully aware that it is they that are losing jobs because of automation.

For what it's worth I like the lodgement machines, except of course it can take longer to hit your account :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Direct transfer would be a good plan alright, should be no bother for them to set it up. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

I find Ulster Bank useful. No machines. Just put your lodgement into one of their envelopes and into the box. And no pesky waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This is one situation where I really sympathise with the staff alright. The machines are obviously a pain in the hole to use. But the staff are being forced to tell people to use them so that they themselves can be downsized. As soon as it becomes evident that more people than not are just going straight for the machines, someone's contract won't be renewed and their job gone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I love the machines in AIB. Very easy to use and much less queueing. I hated standing in line for the cashiers before, the customers did so much bloody chatting...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Can't you lodge cheques to aib accounts at the post office?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

no cash only according to the po beside me. Post offices in a locality where there has been a recent closure of an aib should be able to take cheques but not if there is another aib near enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

there is ONE self service machine now in the Tralee branch, but the problem is that this one machine has been out of order more times than its been working! Everyone has to still queue, and the queue is long and slow! I do like the self service machine, but it is a bit slower than the old quick lodge machine, and there are longer queues.

Are they only planning on putting one self service machine into branches, or will they get more? If they actually worked it would be fine, but as I said, the one in Tralee always seems out of order lately!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

probably find that the machines are designed to be fed a diet of nice new clean uncreased flat cheques, and by the time they've been in a back pocket for a couple of days, or stuffed in a wallet full of other paperwork, they are no longer in the pristine condition that the machine expects. As a result, it will probably jam somewhere in "the works", putting the machine out of action, and the service engineer is probably based in Dublin.

The banks don't want staff or branches any more, and they'd prefer not to have to deal face to face with customers, as that means actually building a relationship with the customer, and we all know that then makes for problems when "the system" says no, despite the customer being well known in the branch. The banks would be very happy if everything was electronic, and the speed of the move to that level of operation has increased significantly over the last while, if there was an easy way to facilitate low value transactions without cash, the rush would be even faster.

If I could find a way to work without the banks, I would, my experience of them in recent years has been less than pleasant, and there have been a number of "issues" that were probably illegal, but fighting a bank that's being funded by the state is a non starter, and they seem to have bottomless pockets when it comes to using the services of some of the bottom sucking scum that inhabit some areas of financial services.

BOI will not handle coin on a Monday or Friday now, and there are plenty of other issues that make their "service" very much a second rate and poor service, their "skills" in terms of on line banking are dire, a while back, it took them 6 months to resolve a security certificate warning on their business banking application, and they are always telling us that we need to be secure!

All in all, the banks are going to reap what they have been sowing for a long time, business is about quality of service and relationships, and right now, in both areas, the banks are doing their best to destroy both planks of what should be the main supportsi of their day to day operation.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I went in before closing to lodge a few BUSINESS lodgements into the commercial section which is based upstairs in the Tralee branch. I had a few different lodgements, I was doing an errand for my parents business as well as ours. Their key lodgement drawer (which was only reopened 3 weeks ago) was not in operation, as the lock was broken! So I buzzed into the room to hand in the lodgements, to be told they are not accepting the pink plastic pouches or the white envelopes anymore! I said, well sorry but they don't make much difference do they, so I put them into the drawer and said I would use the huge blue & transparent ones next time! He took them, but I was just amazed why it makes a difference what envelopes they are in, especially when all they do is rip them open & throw them away!
    Talk abut making life difficult for their customers...the people who are keeping these banks open! Sick of them now!

Advertisement