Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Plastering a New Build

Options
  • 12-04-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am getting ready to start our New Self Build in the coming months. I'm just trying to narrow down the costs for the various trades involved. I know there has been a few threads dated back to 2007/8/9 etc regarding costs for plastering.

As we are in 2013 now, I was wondering what rates would it be nowadays to scud/mortar scratch coat and float smooth finish on exterior walls, and how much it would be to skim coat on interior, as all interior walls and ceilings will be plasterboard as were going with Timber Frame construction.

House is approx 2700sq foot, with approx 240m2 of surface area of ceiling to be skimmed, and approx 580m2 surace area of interior walls to be skimmed.

Any help would be great,

Thanks all. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glengormanjay

Hi Delfagio
    I have same question almost the same type of house. I don't know how relevant it is for your build, but have you thought of plaster detail around the window opes, plinth and corner details/finishes?

Personally I am going with a simple smooth plastered finish and beaded edge. Anyone any suggestions on what the approx cost should be?

cheers
    Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Hi Jay,

No I'm not going with any plastered bands around windows, or plastered quoins, just going to be a smooth plastered finish on the outside walls. Not doing and plastered reveals on windows, just edge beading and smooth plastered finish around windows to give a sharp crisp edge around all windows.

Have you had any quotes yet Jay?

Has anybody had a new self build plastered recently with costs and rates per m2.

Delfagio

I suppose the best lesson I have learnt in my build so far is to get three qoutes and interview each company in order to get a strong understanding of what each is providing for the price qouted.

Its always good though to get a benchmark from someone who has already gone through the process.

There is a big difference between cheap and good value!

Definitely Jay,

3 quotes of more is what we are doing ourselves in order to get a range of the costs. We are doing this with all our various trades, materials etc. Its just more so if there were other self builders who recently had plastering done just to compare against per m2 rates, just as a check, so that at least when my costs/quotes from the plasterers start to come in, I would know if they seem to high or too low. As you say Cheap does not always mean Good.

But I will be asking for references to go check their work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

my plastering costs are for:
    Internal walls - 12mm sand cement scratch cost & 3mm gypsum skim finish @ £6.35m2
    12mm sand cement scratch coat & 3mm gypsum finish to reveals @ £2.75m2
    fix angle/stop bead - ;1.95m
    Gypsum skim finish to plasterboard on ceilings - ;3.85m2

Externals
    2 coats sand cement rubbed up - ;9.00m2

He's a mate and he's the dearest but he's also the best.

• Advertisement

Hey Antrimglens,

Thanks for your reply with the rates per m2. Really appreciate that. Least I can have something to compare against, the rates seem reasonable when converted to euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

1850sq ft dormer. Outside walls scudded, scratched, and smooth plaster finished. quoins, bands around all opes. Internal walls scratched and skimmed, all ceilings bonded and skimmed. €5500 (labour only). Superb plasterer as well. He's a one man show so naturally takes him a bit longer than some others. Again I'm in the border area so I wouldn't expect he would travel too far out of his area.

Thanks UrbanFret,

That seems like quite a good price for the works you had carried out on the plastering works. I'm in the Co. Louth area, if your not to far away for here, could you PM me on the details of the plasterer. Thanks again.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    1850sq ft dormer. Outside walls scudded, scratched, and smooth plaster finished. quoins, bands around all opes. Internal walls scratched and skimmed, all ceilings bonded and skimmed. €5500 (labour only). Superb plasterer as well. He's a one man show so naturally takes him a bit longer than some others. Again I'm in the border area so I wouldn't expect he would travel too far out of his area.

Thanks a million UrbanFret, that really is very helpful. Can I ask if that included a garage? Also what was the approx cost of materials?

Thanks again
    Jay

delfagio wrote: »
    Thanks UrbanFret,

That seems like quite a good price for the works you had carried out on the plastering works. I'm in the Co. Louth area, if your not to far away for here, could you PM me on the details of the plasterer. Thanks again.

The plasterer is from tempo in co fermanagh. He's away for a few days I'll ask him when he gets back if he would travel that far.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million UrbanFret, that really is very helpful. Can I ask if that included a garage? Also what was the approx cost of materials?

Thanks again
    Jay
    Yes the garage was included. It's attached to the main build. I'll try to give you a breakdown so here goes. Black sand 20 tonne €500, I pallet of skim (63 bags) €600, 35 bags of bonding €437.50, 120 bags of cement €510. Angle beads, scrim cloth etc another €250 approx. The real expense was inside on cozi-board for all external walls and upstairs ceilings. I'm talking Thousands here (hopefully you have this done already and are ready for the plasterer to skim right away! I havent a recent photo but this might give you an idea of the size i'm talking about. It's actually over 1950 sq ft.
    [IMG][/img]lwzss.jpg

Thank you sir
    That detail is a real help - the whole point to the BOARDS.IE

Great classical proportions to your house!

Jay

Thanks UrbanFret,

Appreciate your help, your house looks great by the way. Coming along nicely by the looks of it. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ArchyB

my plastering costs are for:
    Internal walls - 12mm sand cement scratch cost & 3mm gypsum skim finish @ £6.35m2
    12mm sand cement scratch coat & 3mm gypsum finish to reveals @ £2.75m2
    fix angle/stop bead - ;1.95m
    Gypsum skim finish to plasterboard on ceilings - ;3.85m2

Externals
    2 coats sand cement rubbed up - ;9.00m2

He's a mate and he's the dearest but he's also the best.

how and who makes up the prices?? i charge 200eu a day myself and 80eu for a labour which sounds a lot but if i charge by them numbers i'll be comming out with between 300-400 a day. all i want to say its hard when you choosing. Get 3-4 quotes go with cheapest one but make sure it includes everything what most expensive does. that would make you happy that you did a research and its most important in self build is to satisfy yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anann

Thanks for this antrim glens - I'm building a few years after you posted it and it's appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

anann wrote: »
    Thanks for this antrim glens - I'm building a few years after you posted it and it's appreciated

@anann

What are the quotes your getting for plastering of late?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

You wont those 80s nordy prices down south that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

For the house size your talking expect to pay €12k ex vat for Labour and about €4k ex vat for materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Fairly old thread here lads, I'd say house is well plastered at this stage

Advertisement