Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "IBTL" not Backseat Modding?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I see IBTL (in before the lock) used quite a lot on Boards (especially After Hours). Would someone posting this not be considered backseat modding? Isnt it basically the person saying they think a particular thread should be locked. And Im sure some people post it in a attempt to gets threads lock.

Would you agree/disagree with me that IBTL is backseat modding?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's more that someone thinks the thread is gonna be closed, not that it should be closed.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its just a flippant comment, like *grabs popcorn*. Its not an instruction to the mods at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I see IBTL (in before the lock) used quite a lot on Boards (especially After Hours). Would someone posting this not be considered backseat modding? Isnt it basically the person saying they think a particular thread should be locked. And Im sure some people post it in a attempt to gets threads lock.

Disagree. It's something people say to highlight the fact that they're expecting the thread to be locked soon so it's not even worth posting anything of substance in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Getting so worked up about it as to bring it up in here probably is more akin to backseat modding, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

anncoates wrote: »
    Getting so worked up about it as to bring it up in here probably is more akin to backseat modding, to be fair.
    There are layers of irony in this post.
    • This is the forum where we can legitimately discuss moderation issues, so it is not backseat modding to post as Brendan Flowers has done.
    • It does, however, seem like backseat modding to accuse him of backseat modding.
    • [Whether or not my post is backseat modding is a tricky question.]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Do people still go "First post, w0ot!" in a shiny new forum?

I miss that. :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's not backseat modding. Generally people will only post that when it's immediately apparent that a new thread is dead in the water and won't be around long. The mods hardly need anyone to tell them that in such cases.
    Sarky wrote: »
    Do people still go "First post, w0ot!" in a shiny new forum?

I miss that. :(

Yep, one of the perks of being an admin and getting to create new forums. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its right up there with "yore ma" or other stock standard gormless replies that get trotted out is what it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Necronos wrote: »
    Its right up there with "yore ma" or other stock standard gormless replies that get trotted out is what it is.
    It does take more Internet skillz to get it right though! *

* When done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Zaph wrote: »
    Yep, one of the perks of being an admin and getting to create new forums. :D

*cough* http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76501001&postcount=1

:p

you're going to 'fix' that now aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

First post in the Teens and Pre-teens forum ...out of context that sounds quite bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Necronos wrote: »
    Other classics include;

Coke and hookers.

Pics or GTFO.

Thinly veiled.

Correct forum
    > (Guilty of this one myself)

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Always shocked at the amount of people spitting coffee on their laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I wouldnt mind seeing people get banned for it like with posting "Yore Ma".

Its gotten really old at this stage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I wouldnt mind seeing people get banned for it like with posting "Yore Ma".

Its gotten really old at this stage.

I think a ban would be over-kill. There's no malice in it, so a punishment like that would be very excessive.

It's one of the longest-established phrases on the Internet. That doesn't automatically make it okay, I know, but it's not a reason to get rid of it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm just shocked it hasn't been posted in this thread.

ibtl

first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

[*][Whether or not my post is backseat modding is a tricky question.]
    [/LIST]

You only put that in to deprive me of an obvious comeback. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Oryx wrote: »
    Its just a flippant comment, like *grabs popcorn*. Its not an instruction to the mods at all.

It would be nice they brought the popcorn once in a while.

If 'in before the lock' was outlawed, no one would ever sit an Amp Test again. Sad days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Banning such phrases won't work. Users just need to cop the f*ck on and realise that spouting buzzwords like a parrot with tourrete's syndrome won't win you friends or kudos. Timing is everything when it comes. To comedy. Damn it.

Advertisement