Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiritualized, 10 August, National Concert Hall (!)

Options
  • 12-04-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Got 2 tickets for this today :)

Ladies and Gentlemen in its entirety with "all the trimmings" which I think means choir, orchestra etc.

Seated gigs not really my thing but I'll just have to survive I guess...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ladies and Gentlemen in its entirety with "all the trimmings" which I think means choir, orchestra etc.

Wow! This completely passed me by. Potential for an amazing gig here. One of my favourite albums ever. I'm there. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I have to confess to only feeling comfortable posting it once I had my own tickets secured...

There seems to be have been very little press about it - surprising especially as this is apparently the only such gig they're doing in 2013.

They are playing other gigs, just not L&G in full with the brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Thanks grudgehugger, I hadn't heard about this gig. Like you, I purchased tickets before posting! Cannnot wait for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yeah, I go mental when the bass drops on this album. *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Also in the wanted-to-get-tickets-before-posting-camp. Got them this morning. Saw them doing Ladies Gentlemen... with the whole choir and orchestra thing in Radio City Music Hall in 2010. By far the best gig I've ever been at. Beforehand I was a bit meh about there being no standing but it was actually the perfect gig for an all seated venue

Edit: full gig below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk14D6Wkrvs

They are playing Coachella tomorrow - will be curious if they do the full enchillada there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭SteM

Saw them do this in the Barbican in London a few years ago. Great show, may have to head along to this.
    MadsL wrote: »
    They are playing Coachella tomorrow - will be curious if they do the full enchillada there.

According to the NCH email:

Spiritualized will perform their classic album ‘Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space’ live in its entirety, making it their only performance this year of this album.

Yeah, I go mental when the bass drops on this album. *cough*

Trust me, I can bust out ridiculously silly dance "moves" to just about anything, including extended periods of silence - and generally will. Anyone a few rows back and around the middle for James Blake at Electric Picnic 2011 can potentially vouch for this. I only book seated tickets for gigs as a last resort.

Hopefully some of these songs will get us up and moving - would love a crowd of people going mental to them at the NCH :)

Come Together - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXTeA-ILbyA

Electricity - http://m.vevo.com/watch/spiritualized/electricity/GB1109800900

SteM wrote: »
    Saw them do this in the Barbican in London a few years ago. Great show, may have to head along to this.

According to the NCH email:

Spiritualized will perform their classic album ‘Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space’ live in its entirety, making it their only performance this year of this album.

I bet the press release continued "in Ireland" I would be suprised if that show rehearsed for a one nighter.

• Advertisement

Trust me, I can bust out ridiculously silly dance "moves" to just about anything, including extended periods of silence - and generally will. Anyone a few rows back and around the middle for James Blake at Electric Picnic 2011 can potentially vouch for this. I only book seated tickets for gigs as a last resort.

Hopefully some of these songs will get us up and moving - would love a crowd of people going mental to them at the NCH :)

Come Together - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXTeA-ILbyA

Electricity - http://m.vevo.com/watch/spiritualized/electricity/GB1109800900

NCH is actually quite a cool venue for some chilled tunes. I saw Icebreaker do Brian Eno's Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks there and they can certainly light it well enough, considering it is an orchestra concert hall.

Enjoy - try to get the side balcony; great views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Thanks a million. Did not know about this.

Saw the show in London a few years back. It was astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

And I just realised I have a wedding that day and can't go :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

As others have said, saw this in London in 2009, fantastic show. There were around 35 people on stage (I've seen them with 50+, but you have to take what you can get...), which is needed to do that album justice.

I'm generally not a fan of "album" gigs, but this one was great. Best bit was the encore of "Out of Sight", which is probably my favourite song of theirs, but not one they've been able to play live since 2001 due to having a stripped down live show.

This will be quality

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Right on folks. Didnt know this was happening until I saw here. Just bagged two tickets. Nice.

I bet the press release continued "in Ireland" I would be suprised if that show rehearsed for a one nighter.

From the NCH website:
    "This show is the only world performance of Ladies and Gentlemen in 2013."

Don't know whether this is a good or a bad thing. It is kind of cool that we'll be the only people to see the show this year but it can't exactly make for a polished performance either. MadsL makes a good point re rehearsals - I sure hope the classical musicians involved have toured with them before...

Also, the trimmings are described as follows:
    "This very special show will feature a choir, string and horn sections."

From the NCH website:
    "This show is the only world performance of Ladies and Gentlemen in 2013."

Don't know whether this is a good or a bad thing. It is kind of cool that we'll be the only people to see the show this year but it can't exactly make for a polished performance either. MadsL makes a good point re rehearsals - I sure hope the classical musicians involved have toured with them before...

Also, the trimmings are described as follows:
    "This very special show will feature a choir, string and horn sections."

Well, that wasn't exactly the point I was making.

Professional classical players knock out pieces every week that they may not have even heard before.

Look at the NCH concert schedule - every Friday the National Symphony Orchestra perform the Musical Director's choices of programme. They get a week to rehearse that, both as an Orchestra and individually and by section. If it is a world premiere of a new piece, no-one has even heard it before.

My point was that I would expect that this hasn't been scored and arranged just to do one show in Dublin. I wouldn't expect that the musicians would tour with them, but I would be very suprised if this were the only performance worldwide.

Well, that wasn't exactly the point I was making.

Professional classical players knock out pieces every week that they may not have even heard before.

Look at the NCH concert schedule - every Friday the National Symphony Orchestra perform the Musical Director's choices of programme. They get a week to rehearse that, both as an Orchestra and individually and by section. If it is a world premiere of a new piece, no-one has even heard it before.

My point was that I would expect that this hasn't been scored and arranged just to do one show in Dublin. I wouldn't expect that the musicians would tour with them, but I would be very suprised if this were the only performance worldwide.

Point taken - I just know very little about classical music :)

I also doubt it has been scored and arranged for just this one show. They have done this basic show many times in the past so I guess can just re-use the material from those?

That being the case, and the classical musician people not needing much in the way of rehearsal time, it all starts to make sense to me.

I doubt the NCH would say it unless it were true, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I think Spiritualized have gone off the boil in their last three albums or so but I'd be interested in this. Ladies & Gentlemen is a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Tickets sorted. Thanks for the heads up - hadn't heard anything about it before I saw this thread.

Wattle wrote: »
    I think Spiritualized have gone off the boil in their last three albums or so but I'd be interested in this. Ladies & Gentlemen is a classic.

Really? Their style has changed (or rather budget constraints have forced it to), but I love the last few. Songs in A&E is probably the weakest, but everything else since Ladies and Gents is better than the earlier work, for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Really? Their style has changed (or rather budget constraints have forced it to), but I love the last few. Songs in A&E is probably the weakest, but everything else since Ladies and Gents is better than the earlier work, for me.

There were some poor songs on Let It Come Down and Amazing Grace was a weak record. In fairness I haven't heard Sweet Heart Sweet Light. I kind of lost interest after Amazing Grace. I prefer the earlier stuff like Laser Guided Melodies and Pure Phase.

Wattle wrote: »
    There were some poor songs on Let It Come Down and Amazing Grace was a weak record. In fairness I haven't heard Sweet Heart Sweet Light. I kind of lost interest after Amazing Grace. I prefer the earlier stuff like Laser Guided Melodies and Pure Phase.

I guess it's a matter of taste. For me, Laser Guided Melodies and Pure Phase are great, but I'd never really listen to them. I'm much more into the blues-ey stuff from the later albums.

Let it Come Down may be my favouite of all of their albums. It's just an old school R&B album and I love all that stuff. Amazing Grace was a nice departure from the previous two albums and while there are some poor songs on it, I like the really stripped down sound. Songs and A&E never really grabbed me. There are some great songs on there, but the production came off a bit weird. Sweet Heart Sweet Light is great, but if you don't like anything since Ladies & Gents, it may not be for you.

They still kill it live, though. The smaller tour band is cracking and the big one for shows like this is really, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Tickets sorted :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DaveOClerigh

Damn have to find someone to go with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Not long now. Just checked the NCH website - there's only 13 seats left :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Has anyone here ever been to a gig like this in the NCH? Wondering what time they're likely to be on stage at. Ticket says 8pm

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever been to a gig like this in the NCH? Wondering what time they're likely to be on stage at. Ticket says 8pm

NCH is very punctual - don't be late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I'm going up on the bus tomorrow for this. Can anyone recommend anywhere nearby to get a bite to eat, even if it's a takeaway?

Advertisement