Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting started

• 12-04-2013 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭

So as the title suggests, I'm just looking for a bit of advice on starting out

I haven't ridden a bike in 10 years or so, and the biggest thing I ever rode was a 125, though predominately mopeds

I'm looking at buying either a gsxr 600 or a dragstar 650 (I think the difference in bike demonstrates my ambiguity overall)

My reason for wanting a bigger bike is so that I won't have to change once I do get my full liscence, so initially I'll be restricting the bike

Firstly, am i mad getting something that big when I'm essentially starting off?

And secondly, what protective gear would people recommend for someone like myself, and what sort of budget would you allow for it? It's an area I'd be happy to push the boat out on in terms of budget given its importance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

if your over 24 and get the new a permit, after you've done all the ibt modules you won't need to get them restricted! wait 6mths and then pass your test!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Firstly, am i mad getting something that big when I'm essentially starting off?

No, but you'll need more training than the IBT.
    LiamoSail wrote: »
    And secondly, what protective gear would people recommend for someone like myself, and what sort of budget would you allow for it? It's an area I'd be happy to push the boat out on in terms of budget given its importance

The best you can afford.

Have a look at the Sharp helmet ratings, lots of people don't agree with some of the ratings (as they think that a €700 helmet has to be safer than an €80 one) but they're the best we have so far. Don't scrimp on your lid and never buy 2nd hand.

For the rest you'll need a jacket, trousers, boots and gloves. You can buy these 2nd hand or if you go to a bike shop you can spend from ~€300 to infinity. You'll also need to get a back protector, it can be in the jacket or separate.

The you'll have the ATGATT v's shorts and flipflops decision.

Advertisement