Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social Occassions that I can't afford.

• 12-04-2013 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

How is it that some people are still arranging get togethers and nights out when I have problems making ends meet?. I have turned down many but you can't keep saying no to everyone or you'll become a social outcast. I often wonder are my friends suffering as much as me economically because if they were I don't think they could go out as much. In fairness I have a large circle of friends so it's not the same people organising the nights out all the time. The pressure is starting to stress me out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

They might be earning more than you, have less costs or manage their money better. Everyone is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Your friends are either a) living beyond their means b) doing better than you are.

Either way it's a plot to make you feel bad. Get yourself a machete and SORT IT OUT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

crusher000 wrote: »
    How is it that some people are still arranging get togethers and nights out when I have problems making ends meet?. I have turned down many but you can't keep saying no to everyone or you'll become a social outcast. I often wonder are my friends suffering as much as me economically because if they were I don't think they could go out as much. In fairness I have a large circle of friends so it's not the same people organising the nights out all the time. The pressure is starting to stress me out.

Few naggins. Be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

What are the nights out?

If they're pubbing then you don't have to drink.

If it's clubs or restaurants then you can just wait outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

They might be earning more than you, have less costs or manage their money better. Everyone is different.

The rare and exotic 'anthropos-serious answer-os' not commonly seen in these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I have no friends so im rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A 2 litre of cider is less than a fiver and you could bring your own sandwiches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

start stealing from them, its the only way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Go to the events and just don't drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Staying in is the new going out. And hiding in the wardrobe naked, drinking cans and crying, is the new staying in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Your friends are considerably richer that you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Keno 92 wrote: »
    The rare and exotic 'anthropos-serious answer-os' not commonly seen in these parts.

phew I thought I just didn't get it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Start arranging house sessions on Monday before anyone can invite you to an expensive restaurant and club. Before you know it everyone will be coming around to yours. It will become the new place to be. Eventually start charging entry and have money to be able to afford to go out...

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I was considering sleeping with one of their wives. That way I would fall out with them all but then I'm married myself so I couldn't be unfaithful to my own wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

YOU decide which night you can go out, i.e. once every two weeks, once a month. Then YOU tell your friends that this is the night you will be out and see who shows up.

This will work because A. you are prepared for your night out and can afford it, and B. you can delete the "friends" that don't show up from your friends - that way you will get less offers to go out and you won't be so much under pressure.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Thats why I always keep a banana in my pocket and not a rock. You can eat a banana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I can't afford a divorce :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have not went to a birthday party in years.

If anyone gets married, I can only choose one wedding a year to save up for and use old dresses and shoes.

I only go out for dinner once or twice a year for a proper meal.

Hell I haven't been to the cinema since 2011!

If you cannot afford it, then nothing you can do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Host a house party, get all your friends to come -BYO.
    That way you get to see your friends, you are not paying for anything and when they leave you have loads of left over booze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Plazaman wrote: »
    Staying in is the new going out. And hiding in the wardrobe naked, drinking cans and crying, is the new staying in.

For you, perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

They must be all bankers / politicans / civil servants / old.

Get new friends, ones who make rock soup for dinner and wear charity shop clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

wait for it............

thinly veiled my mates are rich thread !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Hoop66 wrote: »
    Your friends are either a) living beyond their means b) doing better than you are.

Either way it's a plot to make you feel bad. Get yourself a machete and SORT IT OUT.

Or maybe they c) still live with their mother and are not paying a bomb for rent/mortgage/bills/etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Have a mooch around the stinge thread.

There's loads of posts about social parisites.

Just sayin.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055454434

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

crusher000 wrote: »

Invite them over for a few beers and pizza nite- throw on some good music- you'll have the craic and so will they-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Buy a new car and swish suit on credit just to knock em down a peg or two.

Advertisement