Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redirect URL to static IP address.

Options
  • 12-04-2013 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I recently bought a URL and now need to redirect all traffic to a static IP address. I've made the changes in my control panel in register365 but it doesn't work.

If I do a URL tracer then it points to my static IP address as specified in the user settings but if I tracert I get as far as the register365 server and then its stopped.....

Anyone any idea's to help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

A 301 redirect to an IP is not the same as having that website being the same as the IP address. The traceroute goes to the r365 webserver because the URL maps to the webserver's IP in DNS. The webserver then redirects requests for that website to your static IP address. Do you have a webserver running on your static IP address?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Yes I have a web-server running on the static IP machine on port 8081. I can access it remotely, but not when I go through the URL.....
    One thing I noticed is that under services in the control panel it says "parked"?
    Maybe I have to wait for "them" to approve the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

223vmax wrote: »
    Yes I have a web-server running on the static IP machine on port 8081. I can access it remotely, but not when I go through the URL.....
    One thing I noticed is that under services in the control panel it says "parked"?
    Maybe I have to wait for register365 to approve the change?
    I don't know about r365's control panel and we are not supposed to discuss individual hosters on the forum. If it is indicating the domain to be parked then it may not be redirecting at all or perhaps is redirecting to port 80 on your static IP webserver.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Assuming that you have registered a domain name you should be able to create DNS records to point it to your static IP.

You'd be able to get instructions on how to do that from your hosting provider

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Thanks for your input. I rang the provider and was told it takes up to 48hrs for the changes to take effect. It works fine now. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement