Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a bank release an authorisation on an account?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi All,

A quick question here - I tried purchasing an item last Sunday for €51 from a reputable online store. There were technical issues with the site however that kept serving an error message saying incorrect card details/order unsuccessful. So I tried it a couple more times and still no joy.

Monday morning I found out that 7 transactions for €51 each had been authorised on my account. The store says that I just have to wait for these authorisations to fall off which takes 3-5 working days. It is 5 working days now but still no sign of them releasing.

Do you know if AIB can release authorisations on my card? It's a Visa Debit.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The hold remains for 7 days. Your bank won't be able to release the hold as you are technically locked into a contract with the merchant (because you offered your card details in return for a product and their system accepted the transaction). If the merchant does not intend to proceed with the contract (i.e. take the money), they will leave it for the authorisation hold to drop off. However, if you want it released sooner, you need to ask the merchant to contact their bank who have to contact your bank to inform them they do not intend to withdraw the funds. After that, your bank can release the money to you.

It's a pain in the arse but a lot of these companies are used to it cos it happens a lot. Once they contact their bank, it's done pretty much straight away (a few hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Thanks for the info, I'll play the waiting game for another two days or so and see what happens! Thanks again

Advertisement