Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work UCC; Interview questions

Options
  • 12-04-2013 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hello! I've applied for the BSW degree in UCC for the next year. I haven't been called for an interview yet, but I'm hoping to be. Does anyone who would have done this interview before have any tips or info on it? I know that there is a group exercise beforehand but what does this involve? I was also wondering what do they ask in the one to one interview? Is it solely based on your knowledge and opinion of current social issues or would it be advisable to familiarise yourself with the papers and publications that the teaching staff have published before going in to them?
    I know that people have asked this on other threads before, but most of the questions appear to have been answered by PM. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

Hello,
    Just going to give this a bit of a bump as I have been invited for an interview for social work on the 14th of May, so interview guidance is desperately needed. I've also been offered an interview for Psychology in UCC, so if anyone had any interview advice for that, it would be great. Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Mazeire wrote: »
    Hello,
    Just going to give this a bit of a bump as I have been invited for an interview for social work on the 14th of May, so interview guidance is desperately needed. I've also been offered an interview for Psychology in UCC, so if anyone had any interview advice for that, it would be great. Thanks!!

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055676871/1

Had my Bcomm interview this morning, it was 20 minutes long and there was 3 people interviewing me I know it's a different course but the advice in the first page of this thread is spot on.

That's great Shawki, thanks! Do you know when you will hear back from them?

The social work interview has a group exercise component, which I would like to know a little more about from anyone who has previously done it, so all answers kindly received!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 deepdish89

Well done Mazeire! :)

I have also found out today i have an interview the 14th of may in Social Work :) absolutely delighted. any info would also be greatly appreciated.

Well done! See you on the 14th! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 maia23

hey guys I have done the BSW course at UCC! It really is a fab course and the team are really lovely!! If all goes well, which Im sure it will, you will really enjoy the course :):) The questions in the one to one interviews as far as I can remember were fairly straightforward! Its usually one member from the staff interveiwing and a member working in the sector! I dont remember being asked anything about social policy, it was mostly about why I was interested in the course, my life experience and what I could bring to the course. The interviews are of course nerve wracking but sure tis best to be on yer toes :):) The group exercise is also fine. When we did it, you are given a scenario/case study to read in your group of three or four, I think my one was about an elderly lady who had dementia and could not be cared for by her family any longer! The question was what would you do as a social worker or something along the lines of that. You then come back to your small group and have a discussion about it giving your ideas and thoughts. I guess with any of the case studies they will be looking for ideas surrounding their social psychological and physical well being. They are focusing on both your knowledge and your interaction skills with the others in the group. I think if you are yourself you will come across fine. Hope this helps a little! Get back to me if you wanna know anything else and Ill try and help and the best of luck :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ralna

I am sorry for the stupid question, but did somebody from UCC call you or did they send you a letter for the interview?

Ralna wrote: »
    I am sorry for the stupid question, but did somebody from UCC call you or did they send you a letter for the interview?

They sent a letter. about 3 weeks ago. You could try ring if you havnt heard back yet?

maia23 wrote: »
    hey guys I have done the BSW course at UCC! It really is a fab course and the team are really lovely!! If all goes well, which Im sure it will, you will really enjoy the course :):) The questions in the one to one interviews as far as I can remember were fairly straightforward! Its usually one member from the staff interveiwing and a member working in the sector! I dont remember being asked anything about social policy, it was mostly about why I was interested in the course, my life experience and what I could bring to the course. The interviews are of course nerve wracking but sure tis best to be on yer toes :):) The group exercise is also fine. When we did it, you are given a scenario/case study to read in your group of three or four, I think my one was about an elderly lady who had dementia and could not be cared for by her family any longer! The question was what would you do as a social worker or something along the lines of that. You then come back to your small group and have a discussion about it giving your ideas and thoughts. I guess with any of the case studies they will be looking for ideas surrounding their social psychological and physical well being. They are focusing on both your knowledge and your interaction skills with the others in the group. I think if you are yourself you will come across fine. Hope this helps a little! Get back to me if you wanna know anything else and Ill try and help and the best of luck :):):):)

Well this sounds pretty positive. Im not too nervous at the moment but im sure i will be that morning. Thanks for your help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ralna

It`s just that I am in Bulgaria and I got my letter for the assessment test a week later. I will definitely contact them. One more question, did you choose the date?

• Advertisement
Advertisement