Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A suggestion to improve Moderation in general

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...and then we're criticised for ignoring feedback.
    Yep OB. Usually the problem seems to be definition of feedback. I've seen it myself more than once around the site.

"X is a crap forum/mod/procedure" is "feedback" I'll happily admit to ignoring after the most cursory of glances. I might look more closely if it's been said by a number of people, but even then it's sod all to go on, especially if there are no specifics. If it gets derisory and/or insulting I brainswitch to "Ignore" as it never goes anywhere good.

On the other hand "X is a crap forum/mod/procedure and here's why and this is how we might fix it for the benefit of all of us users" I will take on board and if the fix looks like adding value it'll get added into the mix. Have done in the past.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Bullshit. ...
    That's not feedback either and it certainly isn't respectful or designed to construct any bridges over what I see as an ever-widening gap, but I don't think anyone will take you to task because of it
    ... The above may be your opinion, but it's so far from reality that there's no other way to describe it ...
    Of course it's my opinion and it's also my reality, which is why I shared it, as another poster stated.
    ... My opinion is that you're just here on a wind-up mission. .
    That being the case take whatever action you deem appropriate. Accuse me of trolling and ban me, lock the thread or absent yourself from the thread if my posts are so upsetting. You have choices here like all of us; being disrespectful and making divisive posts are not two of them, I'd hope.

I can assure you I'm not on any kind of a wind-up / trolling mission. I am describing boards.ie mod behaviour as I have experienced it.
    ... you're just here on a wind-up mission. ... If you want people to be receptive to your ideas, you're going to have to communicate them in a way that doesn't serve to isolate you from your intended audience.
    You see these are examples of the kind of negativity and low level abuse I want to put and end to.

Sentences or phrases that start with or contain "you" or "you're" in a finger-pointing manner, are likely to be directed at the poster rather than his post content. This is playing the footballer and not the ball and is the most commonly unmoderated posting habit on boards.ie. In my opinion the reason for that is that moderators don't understand the meaning of ad hominem attacks and, as we see above, use it perhaps unknowingly themselves.

This is very specific feedback, but of course I'll now be told I'm wrong.

Just as a brief aside, when talking about my disciplinary record on the site, at least two participating mods might have tried to redress the balance a bit by stating that on a number of occasions when I transgressed, I immediately apologised on thread when it was pointed out to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

. If you're willing to accept the following as reality, that's entirely up to yourself.

Why does it follow that me being willing to accept that what he has been expressing is based on his genuine perception means that I agree with his perception?

Here's the interesting thing. I don't agree with his perception, therefore what's he's saying doesn't affect me, in the same way that it wouldn't affect me if he was saying that the site is run by the government.

It's an impressive amount of sarcasm, bitchiness, straw man, ad hominem, twisting of words, misrepresentation, ingenuous analogy and plain old-fashioned insult by any measure. The fact that it comes from a poster who claims to want an end to this kind of posting makes it all the worse.

Now see that's your perception. Again, I don't agree with you 100%, but it does make me wonder why, if you value his contribution so little, you're even entertaining him in the first place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

tbh wrote: »
    Again, I don't agree with you 100%, but it does make me wonder why, if you value his contribution so little, you're even entertaining him in the first place.

I thought that would be obvious!

http://xkcd.com/386/

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

mathepac wrote: »
    Just as a brief aside, when talking about my disciplinary record on the site, at least two participating mods might have tried to redress the balance a bit by stating that on a number of occasions when I transgressed, I immediately apologised on thread when it was pointed out to me.

To clarify on my part, I am not aware of your record, I was referring to the records of some posters on here, who then go onto criticise Boards on other sites. I believe that is relevant as the OP relies on their views.

Speaking of the OP, he sees AH as too lax, you seem to see it as too lenient, that would suggest to me we are about right, though always with room for improvement.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I thought that would be obvious!

http://xkcd.com/386/

;)

Maybe he's seen that comic too.

Everyone sees things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

darced wrote: »

Well people were asked to provide examples and they didn't.

Until someone quotes something they deem to be sarcastic then we can't really discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

If i tell someone i have a problem with their posts i have to provide examples of the posts i feel that are out of line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Actually, I admitted I did it, but in a different context to what is being talked about. Now that's not saying it doesn't happen, and the requests for examples aren't attempts to claim it doesn't happen. But context is key. While something that is openly insulting to a user would clearly be a problem, would something like the following be a problem for you:

USER: "Boards is a load of sh*t and you're all queers!"
    MOD: "Thanks for that. Have a couple of weeks off."

Advertisement