Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer of bills - who is responsible?

Options
  • 12-04-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

I was hoping you might be able to help me. I've been having an ongoing dispute with letting agent over the fact that gas was disconnected shortly after moving into the house due to a new account not having been opened in time. As a result, I, my partner and our baby had to move out for a period of 5 days due to the severe cold weather spell.

I had to pay a reconnection fee in the region of €80 to Electric Ireland to have the gas switched back on. I have asked the agent to foot the bill for this and have been laughed at. I just want to know where I genuinely stand on this issue as it has gotten quite emotive as a result of the way I have been treated and I want to ensure my view is not being clouded by my emotions.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Any time I have been renting - utilities were always my responsibility, as in, as soon as I moved in the first phone calls I made were to ESB, Bord Gais, Eircom etc .. to get the utilities sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

CC23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was hoping you might be able to help me. I've been having an ongoing dispute with letting agent over the fact that gas was disconnected shortly after moving into the house due to a new account not having been opened in time. As a result, I, my partner and our baby had to move out for a period of 5 days due to the severe cold weather spell.

I had to pay a reconnection fee in the region of €80 to Electric Ireland to have the gas switched back on. I have asked the agent to foot the bill for this and have been laughed at. I just want to know where I genuinely stand on this issue as it has gotten quite emotive as a result of the way I have been treated and I want to ensure my view is not being clouded by my emotions.

Any advice is appreciated.

Your utilities, your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I moved out of a rented property about a year ago and before I left, I called Bord Gais to tell them I was moving.

They took note of my new address and told me: "Get your Landlord to call in with the names of the new tenants and we will have the account switched to them."

I didn't have to pay any outstanding bill as this was carried forward to my address, but they did make it clear I needed to get the Landlord to call in with the new tenant's names. If he didn't, they WOULD switch the gas supply and electricity off AND they would charge ME for it.

I got my Landlord to call in with the tenant's details and it was all sorted.

I don't understand, really, how you can be held responsible for the fee in getting your supply reconnected and in fact, I would be asking the Landlord to foot this bill.

You agree to pay all bills in respect of electricity and gas, but it's not your fault the supply was disconnected in the first place, and I don't think this is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CC23

Thanks for replies! The only reason I was asking and not bearing the brunt of the "your utilities, your problem". I understand that it may seem a straightforward case of this, but here's why I felt it wasn't my issue...

When we moved in the agent never told us who the previous tenant had their supply with and we were trying to set up an account with the wrong provider as a result. When I was trying to sort it out Electric Ireland told me that it would be the landlord/agents responsibility to advise me how long I would have to complete the switch-over so I would did not expect to personally have to pay this fee. I was in the house exactly 2 weeks when this happened but the house had been lying empty for 6 weeks. In those 6 weeks should the landlord/agent not have switched the account back into their names?

Also, the agent tried to make out at that stage that she had offered to switch the accounts into my name but she didn't - she genuinely never offered. It doesn't look like I'll be getting anything and I'll accept that if needs be. It has been a lot of hassle, that frankly, stressed me out no end, but it got to be a matter of principle as the agent was trying to make out I was a liar.

testicle wrote: »
    Your utilities, your problem.

Slightly less than helpful but thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Thanks for replies! The only reason I was asking and not bearing the brunt of the "your utilities, your problem". I understand that it may seem a straightforward case of this, but here's why I felt it wasn't my issue...

When we moved in the agent never told us who the previous tenant had their supply with and we were trying to set up an account with the wrong provider as a result. When I was trying to sort it out Electric Ireland told me that it would be the landlord/agents responsibility to advise me how long I would have to complete the switch-over so I would did not expect to personally have to pay this fee. I was in the house exactly 2 weeks when this happened but the house had been lying empty for 6 weeks. In those 6 weeks should the landlord/agent not have switched the account back into their names?

Also, the agent tried to make out at that stage that she had offered to switch the accounts into my name but she didn't - she genuinely never offered. It doesn't look like I'll be getting anything and I'll accept that if needs be. It has been a lot of hassle, that frankly, stressed me out no end, but it got to be a matter of principle as the agent was trying to make out I was a liar.

Complain to the Property Service Authority. It is the duty of a letting agent to transfer all utilities.
    http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publicregister-en

fussyonion wrote: »
    If he didn't, they WOULD switch the gas supply and electricity off AND they would charge ME for it.

That's what is says on Electric Ireland's website also. I quoted this to the agent but was ignored. Thanks for your detailed response.

Thanks Kosseegan!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A friend of mine had a similar issue too.

She was moving house and her Landlord was away on holiday so the estate agent was dealing with the installment of new tenants.

When she told ESB she was moving, she also was told she would need to provide details of the new tenants but she didn't know who was moving in after her, so she told ESB this.

They threatened to cut off the supply and have her foot the bill, but she spoke to the estate agent and the estate agent got on the phone to ESB and said "We're looking after this property until the LL comes home, we don't want the supply cut off, can you put the account under our name?"

They did that and it was all OK.

When the LL returned, he had the account switched into the name of the new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnory1

it's crazy to think that someone who probably advertise the property with gas central heating, is asking you to pay for reconnecting the gas,it's not like your asking them to pay your bill.**** next they will be asking you to call a plumber to install the boiler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I had to pay a reconnection fee in the region of €80 to Electric Ireland to have the gas switched back on. I have asked the agent to foot the bill for this and have been laughed at.
    I see it akin to oil heating; doesn't mean that there''ll be a drop of oil in the tank, though. Nasty way to find out though, and next house you move into you'll know to ask first.

=-=

As for "telling the ESB the new tenants" there have been people on this forum who ended up paying for "the new tenants" who "forgot" to ring the ESB, and thus the new tenants got a months free ESB, as they were still using the previous tenants account!

Advertisement