Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Biting

• 12-04-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I've a 10 week old Bichon frise who is constantly biting me, my ankles and trousers and my hands when I take him up

I've said ouch and ignored him after he does it but he pays no heed! And tried distracting him with chew toys he has no interest in them only me lol

Also regards housebreaking he was nearly always going on the paper now he's decided he only goes on them half the time.

I can't wait for his last set of vaccs when I can bring him for walks!!

Has anyone any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

smyths wrote: »
    I've a 10 week old Bichon frise who is constantly biting me, my ankles and trousers and my hands when I take him up

I've said ouch and ignored him after he does it but he pays no heed! And tried distracting him with chew toys he has no interest in them only me lol

Also regards housebreaking he was nearly always going on the paper now he's decided he only goes on them half the time.

I can't wait for his last set of vaccs when I can bring him for walks!!

Has anyone any tips?

Firstly Congrats on your new puppy….. pics please?

So he is only 10 weeks…. He’s still very very young, it will take MONTHS for himto stop “play biting”, when you say “ouch” you should say it in a really high pitched voice or even a yelp as this is what his siblings would do to show him he’s playing too rough… keep this up and over a few weeks he will getthe message etc.

Whatchew toys do you have?

Againi he’s only 10 weeks I assume you only have him a week or two? Praise him whenhe goes on the paper…

It will take him weeks for him to learn to go only on the paper and then outside etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

cocker5 wrote: »
    Firstly Congrats on your new puppy….. pics please?

So he is only 10 weeks…. He’s still very very young, it will take MONTHS for himto stop “play biting”, when you say “ouch” you should say it in a really high pitched voice or even a yelp as this is what his siblings would do to show him he’s playing too rough… keep this up and over a few weeks he will getthe message etc.

Whatchew toys do you have?

Againi he’s only 10 weeks I assume you only have him a week or two? Praise him whenhe goes on the paper…

It will take him weeks for him to learn to go only on the paper and then outside etc.

Thanks it's driving me mad lol ill just have to persevere! Ya only have him a couple of weeks. Chew toys I bought was a ball on some rope and some other chewy things and I've given him a sock which he loves I wonder should I get him a squeaky toy or a teddy?

I try and say ouch as loud as I can, his tail just keeps wiggling then! Because its my first pup im afraid of doing so many things wrong as I know what you do at the start is so important I'm afraid I'm spoiling him by allowing him to continue biting me I was thinking of getting a dog trainer in to make sure I train him correctly ill attach some pics of him now I've called him Archie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I highly suggest you get rid of the paper as this only confuses the poor puppy and only makes the training process even harder as you then have to train all over again when you want to train the pup to go outside.

So outside from the word go or it will take forever to house train your pup.

I also suggest crate training.

andreac wrote: »
    I highly suggest you get rid of the paper as this only confuses the poor puppy and only makes the training process even harder as you then have to train all over again when you want to train the pup to go outside.

So outside from the word go or it will take forever to house train your pup.

I also suggest crate training.

I have a crate which he has used as a toilet on occasion lol I can't bring him out as I have no back garden and the front is on the path and There is a heavy flow of dogs there I'm afraid he will catch something so waiting til he has his last vaccs on 22nd april at least when he goes on paper it's easier to clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

smyths wrote: »
    I have a crate which he has used as a toilet on occasion lol I can't bring him out as I have no back garden and the front is on the path and There is a heavy flow of dogs there I'm afraid he will catch something so waiting til he has his last vaccs on 22nd april at least when he goes on paper it's easier to clean

So where are you going to let the dog go to the toilet in the future? Are you going to be able to bring him outside the front all the time?

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    So where are you going to let the dog go to the toilet in the future? Are you going to be able to bring him outside the front all the time?

Yes out the front I've a big green area in front of my house

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daisy185

Awww Archie is so gorgeous! Congrats, bichons are just so loveable, as are all dogs! I have a female bitchon frise daisy, she just turned one last week and I love her to bits..

Like yourself, at the start I was tormented by her biting, my hands, my ears, my feet, even my nose!..and no amount of reprimanding/coaching/distractions could stop it, but I will say now that she's a bit older and finished her first set of teething its much much much improved. Not gone completely but she just attacks my toes occasionally for divilment. Toilet training the same, it took time but she's quite good now, just the occasional slip which sometimes can be more my fault than hers if I forget to let her out on time. I didn't have any success with papers inside, I found that trips outside first thing in the morning, after meals and when they wake up from a snooze and just being repetitive and encouragement and praise. It can be frustrating as it can take a while for the penny to drop but you have to keep at it and he will get there. I believe if you can get them to associate going to the toilet with a word ie "go potty" and if you repeat it over and over when they do go outside they will learn to associate to go to the toilet when you say go potty!! Or whatever equivelant you come up with! It's a long process, I wouldn't expect any 10 week old puppy to be anywhere near toilet trained so don't worry!

So enjoy this time with him, the funny times and his cuteness, there is no limit to the amount of fun you can have with a puppy. Once he knows he's loved by you, he'll be a very happy little doggy..

Where does he sleep?? Against my initial plans, daisy is up on my bed, there was no keeping her off it, i tried to leave her outside my room she just howled so I couldn't do that.. I gave in as I wanted sleep myself! But she loves sleeping in the big bed now and I love having her. When she decides she wants to get up she comes and actually sits on my head to wake me and if that doesn't work, she scratches my head like she's digging a hole to get my attention. She's so funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

The "ouch" thing didn't work for us, my pup just thought we were playing with her as she would be barking while biting (similar kind of noise I guess)
    "No biting" in a low monotone (more similar to her mothers' growl) did the job for us, also removing the hand/leg/face being bitten and not playing until she calmed down.
    At 15 weeks she's still mouthy but telling her no once works now.

I'm with andreac on ditching the papers and trying crate training, it really does speed up the process!

Congrats on your new puppy, he's gorgeous! Enjoy the fun to come :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Didn't crate train my dog for the toilet, but he was trained to go outside from the get-go. When he woke up, ate, played - out he went. Didn't take him long to get the idea.

The crate was only for the night time. He slept in his crate and it also served as a 'quiet area' for him. If he went in, it meant he didn't want to be disturbed. Now - he's taken over the back bedroom as his 'quiet area'!

Hi guys he's 4 months now and the biting seems to have really started again he started growling at me too? I can't sit down in the room without him biting my ankles and biting and pulling out of my clothes if I lift him to put him in the crate he tries nipping me or brushing him etc I get the nip.
    He's excercised plenty I play with him loads have him in puppy classes I've tried yelping ignoring him leaving the room giving him chew toys saying no spraying him with water NOTHING works it only works temporarily. Can anyone advise please :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement