Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess the reference - SPOILERS FOR ALL BOOKS

• 12-04-2013 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by this post about Maggy the Frog and Jayne Westerling's mother being one and the same, I thought it'd be cool to have a thread about some of the hidden things in ASOIAF. George RR Martin seems to love leaving links to things both from other parts of the story and the real world.

In ADWD, Doran Martell tells Arianne that Balon Swann is being delayed at the Tor with a games arranged in his honor by Lady Jordayne, the wife of Lord Trebor.
    Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time was published by Tor.

A less obvious one is that Ser Patrek of King's Mountain in ADWD is named for a blogger who reviews fantasy and SciFi. Apparently Martin lost a football bet to this guy and included him as a knight with the Dallas Cowboys blue five-pointed star on a field of white as his sigil.

I quiet like that the Bracken men-at-arms are called Lharys, Kurleket, and Mohar too ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sleepy wrote: »
    Inspired by this post about Maggy the Frog and Jayne Westerling's mother being one and the same

Just an FYI, Maggy is allegedly Jeyne's grandmother. Jeyne's mother's mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Oops, you're right. Gonna put that one down to a typo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

One I noticed a few days ago when I was rereading the LOTR appendices is that there was a usurper to the throne of Gondor called Castamir. The seat of House Reyne, who rebelled against the Lannisters and tried to usurp the seat of Casterly Rock, was called Castamere.

Could be a coincidence, but possibly a reference there.

Advertisement